• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

ether

^ good luck, I found it not so nice, but then again that was only from accidental inhalation. It's hard to open the bottle and not catch a whiff.

Please note what I said about storage, and definitely handle with great care.

From the Material safety data sheet for diethyl ether:

2. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Hazard Classification

Classified as hazardous
HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE.
DANGEROUS GOODS.
Hazard classification according to the criteria of NOHSC.
Dangerous goods classification according to the Australia Dangerous Goods
Code.

Risk Phrase(s)

Classified as hazardous
R12 Extremely Flammable.
R19 May form explosive peroxides.
R22 Harmful if swallowed.
R66 Repeated exposure may cause skin dryness and cracking.
R67 Vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness

Safety Phrase(s)

S16 Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking.
S29 Do not empty into drains.
S33 Take precautionary measures against static discharges.
S9 Keep container in a well ventilated place.
Environmental
Hazards
Toxic to aquatic organisms.

Conditions for Safe Storage

Store in well ventilated area. Store away from sources of heat or ignition.
Store away from oxidizing agents. Store away from acids. Keep container
tightly closed and dry, away from direct sunlight. Store at room temperature
(15 - 25 °C). Store small containers in suitable flammable liquid storage cabinets. Larger drums (200L) must be kept in purpose-built stores.

You can find the full msds here

Please ensure you are well aware of the dangers in handling and storing ether. NEVER store in a fridge. The vapour will still escape and may ignite from sparks generated by the thermostat. Be WELL aware of the explosive potential and the risks associated with peroxide formation.

I keep any and all inflammable liquids in a purpose built flame cabinet. They aren't cheap (mine was over a grand new) but if ventilated properly they will contain a fire fairly well.
pi32ldo.jpg

You might also want to look at some info on the legality of storing such liquids at residential or commercial premises. There can be rather serious consequences if caught with amounts larger than what's termed "minor quantities". Also check Aus Standard - AS 1940

I'd also be wary of someone who said it was for use in the production of perfumes. A good friend of mine is a perfumer. He has more bottles of stuff than a Uni chem lab. But he doesn't use, or have need for ether.

isnt ether used as a cutting agent with heroin...or somthing similar to it..

Jimity said:
I was under the impression that all chemical suppliers in Australia demanded documentation to ensure you are supposed to have the products you're purchasing.....

OK a lil change of subject, friends and I were suprised when we ordered a tank of food grade nitrous oxide. We were told we will need to show a 'food catering' license, but when we went to the wholesale caterers. They just gave the tank to us with a $10 deposit/bond, for if we break anything LOL. Anyway there have been a few deaths here cos some poor kid gets the information wrong, and instead of ether tries 'butane gas' instead. Same with fly spray LOL. but anway, ohly tried amyl. not familiar with ether.. Have fun 8o

i have access to litres of analytical grade di-ethel ether at the moment but am unsure of the exact effects and how long it lasts. i have read that the smell is hard to remove from your breath and clothing and if somebody knows the smell they will know what you have been up 2. what would be the absolute safest way IF you were going to inhale it ? apart from not inhaling ofcourse :D

ok i checked the label and it says DI ETHYL-ETHER ANHYDROUS (C 74.12) (C2HS)20

is this shit any good or not

Last edited:
Ether was indeed available from one of the more notorius sex shops in Sydney.
It was sold under the same guise as amyl was, 'video head cleaner', it came in little cans similar to smaller butane cans.
Cost about the same price as good quality amyl did.

Ether was indeed available from one of the more notorius sex shops in Sydney.

I'm not saying that's not true, but normally, if it was sold and stored anywhere in the shop it would be the first thing you smelled when you walked in the door. Ether has a very high vapour pressure and will escape almost any bottle. It even escapes from 2.5L bottles with their usually effective tops. When I had ether in the lab I kept it at very low temperatues in a sealed bottle placed in a sealed container. Yet when you walked in the door, it was the first thing you noticed.

Due to these dangers, and abuse potential - finding a friend 'stuck' to the bottle on more than one occasion - I no longer keep it unless it's absolutely needed and there's no suitable substitute.

Ethyl Ether (aka diethyl ether) has a flash point of -40 deg C. That means an explosive mixture with air is formed if Ether can escape from a bottle kept above that temp. It boils at 34.5 deg C, so if kept on a shelf at normal Aus summer temps in small bottles, it will evaporate unless a very well sealed bottle is used (read: expensive). Ether is also nonconducting and easily causes static charges when handled. Many ether related explosions have resulted from this.

Whether or not diethyl ether was sold in sex shops as pure ether, or whether it was mixed with something else, or whether it was in fact a less volatile ether, we shall never know. If ethyl ether was sold, it displays ignorance and/ or stupidity on the part of the retailer. Make no mistake, ether is a very dangerous solvent to have around if it's not stored and handled correctly.

isn't ether just a different form/type of alcohol?
Diethyl ether is commercially manufactured from a side reaction which occurs when Ethanol is produced from the vapour phase hydration of ethylene gas over a phosphoric acid catalyst.

Other ethers, particularly non symmetrical ethers (e.g. methyl butyl ether) are mostly produced via the Williamson synthesis of ethers, whereby halogen substituted hydrocarbons (e.g. chloroethane) are reacted with sodium alcoholates (e.g. NaOCH2CH3). Dialkyl sulphates (eg (CH2CH3O)2SO2 )can be substituted for the halo compound, with this variation forming the basic prep for phenolic ethers.

phase_dancer said:
I'm not saying that's not true, but normally, if it was sold and stored anywhere in the shop it would be the first thing you smelled when you walked in the door. Ether has a very high vapour pressure and will escape almost any bottle. It even escapes from 2.5L bottles with their usually effective tops. When I had ether in the lab I kept it at very low temperatues in a sealed bottle placed in a sealed container. Yet when you walked in the door, it was the first thing you noticed.

Due to these dangers, and abuse potential - finding a friend 'stuck' to the bottle on more than one occasion - I no longer keep it unless it's absolutely needed and there's no suitable substitute.

Ethyl Ether (aka diethyl ether) has a flash point of -40 deg C. That means an explosive mixture with air is formed if Ether can escape from a bottle kept above that temp. It boils at 34.5 deg C, so if kept on a shelf at normal Aus summer temps in small bottles, it will evaporate unless a very well sealed bottle is used (read: expensive). Ether is also nonconducting and easily causes static charges when handled. Many ether related explosions have resulted from this.

Whether or not diethyl ether was sold in sex shops as pure ether, or whether it was mixed with something else, or whether it was in fact a less volatile ether, we shall never know. If ethyl ether was sold, it displays ignorance and/ or stupidity on the part of the retailer. Make no mistake, ether is a very dangerous solvent to have around if it's not stored and handled correctly.

Diethyl ether is commercially manufactured from a side reaction which occurs when Ethanol is produced from the vapour phase hydration of ethylene gas over a phosphoric acid catalyst.

Other ethers, particularly non symmetrical ethers (e.g. methyl butyl ether) are mostly produced via the Williamson synthesis of ethers, whereby halogen substituted hydrocarbons (e.g. chloroethane) are reacted with sodium alcoholates (e.g. NaOCH2CH3). Dialkyl sulphates (eg (CH2CH3O)2SO2 )can be substituted for the halo compound, with this variation forming the basic prep for phenolic ethers.

I totally agree.
maybe me u found.
anyone who gets into chem knows about it and loves to smell it everone gets on it and it helps pass chem pract days into brain damag areas of quick pasted moments

Diethyl ether devils ether, yeah thats what i always used recreationally, i knew we be into that rotten stuff soon enough