Bugs Error: 522

Sirena Oscura

Bluelighter
Anyone else getting this error like SUPER frequently?

I find it takes forever for the site to load and doesn’t half the time, the rest of the time the 522 error code comes up...

Trying to post, takes forever, some stones doesn’t work, end up double posting.

So annoying...

I don't get this error myself. But looking into it it's a cloudflare issue. BL I know for a fact uses cloudflare, its a reverse proxy which acts as an intermediary between our server and you the user connecting to BL. Websites use reverse proxies like cloudflare in order to protect themselves from hackers. DDos attacks are a prime example of what can be avoided using these. Your browser shakes hands with a proxy server, not BL itself, and the proxy server then performs the function of transferring the websites information to you. It's not a BL issue, it's cloudflare itself getting bunged up and from what I'm seeing it notoriously does have this issue. What you see then is the 522 error.

I don't get this error myself. But looking into it it's a cloudflare issue. BL I know for a fact uses cloudflare, its a reverse proxy which acts as an intermediary between our server and you the user connecting to BL. Websites use reverse proxies like cloudflare in order to protect themselves from hackers. DDos attacks are a prime example of what can be avoided using these. Your browser shakes hands with a proxy server, not BL itself, and the proxy server then performs the function of transferring the websites information to you. It's not a BL issue, it's cloudflare itself getting bunged up and from what I'm seeing it notoriously does have this issue. What you see then is the 522 error.
This seems to be a downstream error from Bluelight, probably when the site if offline for long enough, like this morning, proxies like Cloudfare can't get a valid target to cache, uses one that is pointing to something that was broken, hence it times out, or http status code 522.

This seems to be a downstream error from Bluelight, probably when the site if offline for long enough, like this morning, proxies like Cloudfare can't get a valid target to cache, uses one that is pointing to something that was broken, hence it times out, or http status code 522.
Interesting. Thanks.

Anyone else getting this error like SUPER frequently?

iirc you are based in Aussieland, no? Someone else raised a similar issue from there and pointed to cloudflare's server in Singapore being the issue. I'm not sure that they found a workaround or not.

But looking into it it's a cloudflare issue. BL I know for a fact uses cloudflare

Correct, and Correct.

I have no idea about tech stuff and you do.

Ive never come across any other site that has this cloudfare error at all yet a lot would use it.

I recall the settings could be dialled up or down in some way, not sure if that's the case.

Bl has been ddos attacked in the past, dont think that often tbh. Still can't figure out what it really is except for too much traffic at once and the losers have to have some type of dodgy assistance from many accounts to do that?

I dont get bothered by it but did a while back, this could be a massive issue for newer folk who won't bother with bl if they have no luck when finding the place.

Is it overkill having a cloudfare, what alternatives are there to this even if it means manually giving spam the flick?

I have no idea about tech stuff and you do.

Ive never come across any other site that has this cloudfare error at all yet a lot would use it.

I recall the settings could be dialled up or down in some way, not sure if that's the case.
I can’t really inform you much more on this than what you already seem to know. I don’t know what Cloudfare services BL has implemented, do you?
Bl has been ddos attacked in the past, dont think that often tbh. Still can't figure out what it really is except for too much traffic at once and the losers have to have some type of dodgy assistance from many accounts to do that?
They don’t need any bluelight accounts, if that is what you are asking. Speaking generally, a DDoS attack is distributed, meaning it comes from many devices at the same time, making it harder to detect, control, and mitigate than if it were to originate from a single source.
I dont get bothered by it but did a while back, this could be a massive issue for newer folk who won't bother with bl if they have no luck when finding the place.
Well, what I was trying to point out in the response, was that Bluelight itself has been out of service many times in the month or so I have been using it. When it is out of service, web traffic isn’t being redirected to another web service that can broadcast an “Undergoing Maintenance” message as well as other responses, i.e http status codes, that would inform downstream services like Cloudfare to respond correctly.

IOW, the issue you are concerned about, new visitors seeing something besides bluelight’s forum application, is really a Bluelight problem, not Cloudfare’s, which is doing the best it can given the situation.
Is it overkill having a cloudfare, what alternatives are there to this even if it means manually giving spam the flick?
Again, IDK what role Cloudfare provides for BL, there are several possibilities. Akamai is probably the leading player in the types of services Cloudfare offers, and may be a viable alternative, but it isn’t clear to me that anything is lacking in the service we have.

I hope that is helpful?