• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Ended up in hospital after drinking deicer

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I think this is perhaps the most desperate I've been. Last weekend, I thought it would be a good idea to buy a few bottles of deicer (contains methanol, ammonia and isopropanol). I drank a bit and didn't feel anything but was also scared of going blind (yea I know, stupid why just not buy it?). through the weekend I drank enough and realized I got a fairly good and long buzz.

I repeated it since I didn't feel any ill effects and purchased some more but a slightly different brand containing glycols. I drank around 3-4 through Tuesday to Thursday last week. A student noticed in my class and the principal drove me to a hospital. I don't remember much as I woke up on Saturday night and found myself connected up with wires and an arterial line along with a catheter. My state improved after giving me fomepizole and I was discharged yesterday but they said I need to be careful with what I eat or drink because my kidneys could have been wrecked.

They thought I was going to die on Thursday as I was put in ICU and had an acidic blood level of pH 6.8. Is this a sign I should quit or just be more careful?

God is watching out for you...
Yes, that's a clear sign...

I had a near death expeience that change the direction of my life....Saw the Holy Spirit.....His whisper was heartbeat 180..

meaning let me in your heart....I'll turn your life around....Saw Satan, I said to myself, if He is real God surely must be real....A year later I completely gave my life to Jesus...I didn't expect much but I had the most joy and peace I could ever imagine....The same piece you had when you were a small child....But, more profound.

/\ Can you ever not talk about god or what?

OP, that sounds horrible. Are you underage or something? Why not drink beer instead of industrial products? Or maybe in your case nothing at all.

You know an effective door here In BK seems to be closing. So I’m probably going to deactivate my account and let my loving worry soak in hopefully.

Teetering on the end. I will not let anyone take My Crown from me.

If He was just a man, why does everyone seem to be offended.

Again Love all of You dearly.

To me I can’t cast my pearls for you stomp on them then tear me to pieces.

Lol... Why don't you just relax? I doubt anyone here cares if you're religious or not, but this isn't bible study.

Lol... Why don't you just relax? I doubt anyone here cares if you're religious or not, but this isn't bible study.

Pretty much. People can believe whatever they like. And if someone feels Christianity improved their life, great. I'm happy for them. Really I am. But not all of us wanna be preached too all the time. Be it about God or any number of other things.

I would propose to the believers that people will find God when they're ready to find God.

Last edited:
Wow man, that's really intense that you would knowingly consume methanol, knowing at the very least that it can cause blindness. You're lucky all that happened is you went to the hospital, you could be blind now, or dead. And ammonia too... good god, that sounds awful...

To be honest with you, this sort of behavior is a very worrying sign and you should really think about what's happened here. It doesn't bode well for your future if you're making these kinds of decisions with drugs. I recommend to you to at least take a long break from intoxicating yourself. Ideally wait til you're older if you don't outright stop. If you're unable to set a break time and stick to it, it means you need to not be doing drugs because you're going to likely continue to cause yourself all sorts of problems.

Uhh yeah man vodka. Trust me you'll thank me later

Why is this even a conversation? Why do you hate yourself so much that you play with your life just to get high?

Yeah, it's a sign. It's a sign that your behavior could very easily destroy your chances of having a normal life and you aren't connected enough to your own thoughts to realize that organ failure is bad for you.

Go easy on the guy, he already said this is the most desperate he's ever been.

But it is a pretty horrible idea, as methanol is metabolized to formaldehyde in the body. So it's basically like embalming fluid with added steps. While, methanol is actually used as an embalming fluid itself.. so it kind of is drinking embalming fluid. I forget the metabolism, but isopropanol's metabolism isn't much prettier, if at all. When formaldehyde is broken down in the body, it causes even more problems like seizures and blindness.

If you want to learn more about how methanol affects the body, check out this video. Or just search the web for "methanol(or isopropanol) metabolism", or a similar variation and a lot of info should come up.

Honestly, you should be extremely careful drinking any alcohol or consuming any drugs going forward. They are right to warn you about potential organ damage, especially brain, liver and eyes.

What's driving you to drink such nasty chemicals? I mean I know you want to get drunk, but what else is happening in your life that makes you so desperate to do so?

Last edited:
Looks like I'll have a bill of around €4,000+ given the cost of the antidote fomepizole. They gave me 8 grams and each gram costs around €500

Yes may I too ask why you feel compelled to drink this and not alcohol? I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. Please quit methanol at the very least: no one wants to know you kept doing this until you died. There's help out there.

It was cheaper than buying a 500ml bottle of beer here (around €1.60) but more importantly, longer lasting. Ethanol only lasts for an hour and a half whereas this stuff would keep you drunk into the next day (not a hangover but drunk).

It's by far the best if you address the reasons why you would risk death and blindness to stay drunk for a whole day for cheaper than ethanol. BUT, that said, if you are going to do something like that anyway despite what we tell you, look into some 2-methyl-2-butanol. It's a tertiary alcohol that lasts like 16 hours and is much less toxic than ethanol even is. So at least you won't be killing your liver/kidneys/brain/eyesight/etc. It's not illegal or controlled although it's not in stores either. Also it's really potent and the dose is really small, so you'd need to make sure to get an oral syringe to measure it.

I'm not trying to recommend that you use it, I really think you need to get some help being alright with sobriety. But if you're going to consume long-lasting alcohols regardless, please don't use de-icer ever again. You're lucky to be alive.

It was cheaper than buying a 500ml bottle of beer here (around €1.60) but more importantly, longer lasting. Ethanol only lasts for an hour and a half whereas this stuff would keep you drunk into the next day (not a hangover but drunk).
I can understand the perspective, but it's totally not worth it. Please analyze the reasons why you are using and reconsider your next move carefully. I won't judge no matter what but please, we all care here and we don't want to hear you died or are permanently injured from using something like this.

You know an effective door here In BK seems to be closing. So I’m probably going to deactivate my account and let my loving worry soak in hopefully.

Teetering on the end. I will not let anyone take My Crown from me.

If He was just a man, why does everyone seem to be offended.

Again Love all of You dearly.

To me I can’t cast my pearls for you stomp on them then tear me to pieces.

Hey man, please don't de-active your account.

I noticed we had a couple things in common and had a couple questions for you so respond if you ever have the time.

Peace.

Op, this is what liver failure looks like...

abdomen_ascites.jpg

Not a fun way to go out.