Site Feedback End the bots (idea?)

We have a whole bunch of things to help filter out bots. Much of the spam you see on site is from real people sitting in low pay spam farms in India/Pakistan and Ukraine and churning out links spam.

As for pre-modding, it would be a massive overhead that staff wouldn't realistically be able to keep up with and that would prevent new users from asking/receiving timely answers to HR questions. It also wouldn't really help as the linkspammers keep evolving and have learnt to post 'good' posts for a while, and then go back and edit links back into their old posts weeks or even months later.

Meh, there will never be a spam proof place on the internet. Its not a big deal, the preventative measures are worse than the spam.

The amount of energy put into figuring out automatic ways to stop idiots selling cbd oil plus the ip checking (somewhat abused privilege imi), cloudfare making access too hard for people, all this stuff could be minimised.

There are a decent amount of of online roughly all the time. Only really need one online active to delete spam.

There are a lot of mods. I

What is stopping one that mods a forum A from deleting an obvious selking/sourcing bot/account in forum B?

I know its not the usual but it should be okay as these accounts are new, don't make it far and the post comes up on the what's new list.

There's no system invented that is comparable to a person manually reading the situation. Temp banning the spam does same thing as removing it , giving the upper people room to mop it up.

Not a big deal doing that, a few buttons pressed.

Outlier: there was a appeals area in a spot called "homeless threads". It was disposed of because the admin at the time saw it as being a "public spectacle".

It was a good idea then but will not be a good idea at all now imo.

The only incorrect action was temp banning a spammer. @MsDiz

It would be easier to create an appeal forum, where of theres even a shadow of a doubt on banning a spammer, to move them to a group which can only see the appeals forum. If theyre a bot this will be catastrophic when they be bots or if theres a real boy with a real nose on the other side Ill say hell no spammer.

Then we delete the appeal forum, discontinue the system and Ive had my laugh of the half a day.
I mean, it’s only a temp ban until an admin or sr mod comes along to permanently delete the bot/spammer (the human bots doing the spamming) that’s what deletes their posts, them being permanently banned I’m assuming?
So to stop other users seeing the links, we as mods would be able to just delete them because that person was on a temp ban until someone can double check it’s actually needed before ^finish him^ (SF reference) comes along.

I mean, it’s only a temp ban until an admin or sr mod comes along to permanently delete the bot/spammer (the human bots doing the spamming) that’s what deletes their posts, them being permanently banned I’m assuming?
So to stop other users seeing the links, we as mods would be able to just delete them because that person was on a temp ban until someone can double check it’s actually needed before ^finish him^ (SF reference) comes along.
Sorry for joking around so much. Yeah this is probably more like what would actually be happening here. I have no frame of reference to say that factually, or on what any decisions on how we operate are going to be, but what your proposing is closer to whats already done. I've never bothered with any spammers but I'd personally just eliminate without remorse in my subs.

Being permabanned doesn't do anything to delete an accounts posts, I'm like 99% sure. Actually deleting an accounts total posts would be up to a mod with permission to delete everything across the board, which we are completely restricted what/where we can do what. So I'd guess Sr.Mod probably can, but then actually removing an account entirely beyond that is admin level. Bluelights pretty customized on the level of what tools and options we can and cant access, where. This is just stuff I figured out looking into Xenforo itself. There's a reason for all of it definitely but I do wish for a more cohesive set of tools and more global permissions quite a bit. Sometimes anyway, sometimes I just make jokes like that crack about the appeals forum.

I'm actually a little serious about changing suspected spammers group to an appeals forum only though. It can be done on this very board and it doesn't have to be public either. What happens there, if theyre human and also not a spammer that 1% chance theyre both.... then I lay the hammer down anyway hahaha cause hahaha

I guess it depends what people want to do and whats considered the most efficient what happens in any case. idk

I liked that subforum.

There's a few subforums I miss. Homeless threads, though in many ways I think NMI has that role now.

The testing area, which got swallowed by the technical support subforum.

My guess is they would just post the links, the links just wouldn't have link formatting. But the underlying problem would remain.

It's a really frustrating problem. I find it especially outrageous all this spam for cannabis products being made to a drug support site.

The staff more than probably anyone would love to be rid of it because it uses up a good chunk of our time.
You may be right........... Its it possible to take the guesswork out and confirm one way or the other?

As someone else suggested up there ^^^^^^ we cant be the only ones with this problem........maybe there is a solution out there that someone else has found other than the extra mods workload.

I miss 1998 because this forum didnt exist, which isnt at all the point to miss since it didnt exist. I was just enthralled by pokemon and Final Fantasy 7 and being in grade 2. Now its 2021 and im turning 30, Final Fantasy 7 remake was the sux, I dont give a charmandered burning shit about pokemon anymore so theres nothing in life to look forward to except

See nothing not even tomorrow, because there is only today said AA. My torchlighter burns blue at least. Bluelight is the light for me.

Now im going to bed because ive shitposted enough in technical support within a short interval. Sometimes I dream too, I sleep in bed yknow not on the driveway like a drunk heathen.