• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Elderly father on low dose Oxy can no longer speak and is losing balance/falling

kasseld

Greenlighter
Hi there I'm taking care of my elderly father (in his early 70s) who was in good health, but suffering from chronic pain due to injuries from accidents. He started taking low dose Oxycodone HCL 5mg generic and cutting the pills in half over a year ago. He's now prescribed 20mg a day so has been taking 2x10mg pills in the morning and 2x10mg in the evening.

A few weeks ago he was having some confusion and issues forgetting words, which was affecting his speech. He can barely get a word out now, and also has trouble writing words on paper. Two days ago he fell twice -- he was an avid athlete with good balance and I'd never seen him stumble before.

I'm worried, but he doesn't want to go see a doctor and since he can't communicate I don't know what is going on! It doesn't seem like 20mg of oxy should have such a severe side effect. His speech seems to improve slightly after an hour or so of him waking up, but just enough to get a partial sentence out. He doesn't seem to be overdosing, or at least he indicates that he is having no problems breathing.

Totally new to this forum, so apologies for being such a noob. Any help from those of you with so much more experience is sincerely appreciated!

I don't think this is from the oxy, he needs to see a doctor now. If he can't see the gravity of these symptoms and the sense of urgency they should instill then he shouldn't be in charge of his own medical care.

I agree with the previous post but one thing many elderly folks suffer from regularly is dehydration. It can have some serious ramifications and is so easy to fix. Both my Mom and Dad have ended up in the hospital in the past for just that. Just a thought, I hope your Dad feels better.