View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Esoteric Ego Death and The Tibetan Book of The Dead

TurtlePond

Greenlighter
I'm quite interested if anybody has ever used Psychedelic's to experience ego death and had the Tibetan Book of The Dead read aloud to them to guide them on the experience? I have heard that people have done this but nothing else and was wondering if anyone had tried it themselves or knew anybody who did and would like to share the experience.

Well it's not the Tibetan book of the dead they've had read to them, it's a Tim Leary pamphlet called "The psychedelic experience". If you actually read the Tibetan book of the dead it's nothing like Leary's book.

This comes from people who've heard John Lennon talking about the Beatles song Tomorrow never knows - in 1980 when he was making his comeback he was too embarrassed to say he ripped off from Tim Leary (maybe because taking LSD wasn't fashionable by then) so he said it was from the Tibetan book of the dead.

Last edited:
The subtitle of the book outright states, "A Manual Based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead."

I have studied the actual Tibetan Book of the Dead while sober and tripping..the secrets contained therein are deeply profound..learys manuals are a bit diluted, but a good start..ESP the 7 circuits manual..

Never be mislead by your karmic apparittions..all
You see and feel are generated by your mind/ego..they should be like water pouring into water..do not supress or engage these appirations or you will be caught in the circle for an ungodly time..unless, of course. That's what u want :) just make sure u pick the right one..

The subtitle of the book outright states, "A Manual Based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead."

Yeah but being based on something doesn't mean it's the same thing. The Tibetan book of the dead has absolutely fuck-all to do with tripping - the only connection is Leary's imagination.

I have studied the actual Tibetan Book of the Dead while sober and tripping..the secrets contained therein are deeply profound..

I'm not so sure, I think they're only as profound as any other man-made religious superstitions. Some bloke dreamt it up a thousand years ago cos he was frightened of death - that doesn't mean there's any truth to it. It's as accurate as a christian thinking he'll meet Jesus.

Last edited:
The first time I read is such a profound experience, it changed me forever. I took about 125mg of Ketamine and went into a sensory deprivation float tank. By the way, I highly recommend it. When I came out, I took a shower and when I went out into the waiting area, a guy had the Tibetan Book of the Dead. I picked it up and began reading it and after just coming out of such a mentally awakening and refreshing experience, It blew my mind. What a revelation that was! Such a liberating day! I wish I could just share that experience and knowledge with everyone.

The first time I read is such a profound experience, it changed me forever. I took about 125mg of Ketamine and went into a sensory deprivation float tank. By the way, I highly recommend it. When I came out, I took a shower and when I went out into the waiting area, a guy had the Tibetan Book of the Dead. I picked it up and began reading it and after just coming out of such a mentally awakening and refreshing experience, It blew my mind. What a revelation that was! Such a liberating day! I wish I could just share that experience and knowledge with everyone.
You can pm your knowledge :D

Yep. ISMENE saying that Leary's book has no connection to TTBOTD and that the notion purely some urban legend based on whatever, is revealed as piece of made up BS to use to smack people with. That's just what he does. In this instance a massive fail on his part, I cant believe he thought no one would call out the lie especially when he could have looked it up himself.

I have read both and that book is quite explicitly based around TTBOTD, references it many times, and the overall sequence and content definitely parallels TTBOTD.

Liar liar pants on fire.

Yep. ISMENE saying that Leary's book has no connection to TTBOTD

That's not what I'm saying at all Dwayne. I'll repeat what I've said as you've picked up the wrong end of the stick again. I said that people won't have had the TTBOTD read to them during a trip - they'll have had the Leary pamphlet read to them because there's a section in it that says "Instructions to be read to someone tripping". Ok? Are you with me so far?

And I've also stated that TTBOTD has nothing to do with taking LSD. How do I know this? Well, check out the date TTBOTD was written and then look at the date LSD was invented. Then get back to me and we'll talk some more.

I've read the Tibetan Book of the Dead and some of its modern revisions, I identified as Buddhist for years, and I lived in a Tibetan Buddhist monastery for two years. I've done these works to death (no pun intended). The basic precepts are really liberating and useful, but as you delve deeper it becomes too tied to doctrine and tradition which is not useful. To be honest, I find the belief that suffering and deprivation are the best route to enlightenment to be very old world. The era we live in now is about expansive information, creativity, freedom, and expression; we can read about all faiths now, see the common thread that weaves between them all, and walk away with that understanding. Spirit is innate and not tied to doctrine. Processing suffering is important but I see no need to attach oneself to it.

I can summarize the Book of the Dead right here in 3 modern steps:
1) You realize that the universe is outside of you.
2) You realize the universe is inside of you.
3) You realize everything is the universe, and there is no "you".

Byron Katie's works are more practical than the heady (and frankly dismal) teachings of the Book of the Dead, and there is zero koolaid. She covers impermanence, death, delusion, and all the known precepts within an easy to implement system that helps you arrive at the truth without having to study major texts. In other words, you'll understand death, delusion, impermanence, etc. without having to be directly told about them. You'll understand that every challenge is a teacher here to show you your own projections and delusions that are preventing you from living a life of love. I first recommend "Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life", and then "A Thousand Names For Joy". And unlike so many modern guru wannabes, she does not call herself a guru, and she has actually walked the walk through her own path of intense suffering to realize what she is now teaching.

I have not but I have glimpsed its pages while not on anything I no longer believe I am qualified to attempt ego obliteration on psychs but have had numerous ones on them by definition

That's not what I'm saying at all Dwayne. I'll repeat what I've said as you've picked up the wrong end of the stick again. I said that people won't have had the TTBOTD read to them during a trip - they'll have had the Leary pamphlet read to them because there's a section in it that says "Instructions to be read to someone tripping". Ok? Are you with me so far?

And I've also stated that TTBOTD has nothing to do with taking LSD. How do I know this? Well, check out the date TTBOTD was written and then look at the date LSD was invented. Then get back to me and we'll talk some more.

Thanks for that 🙏

I've read the Tibetan Book of the Dead and some of its modern revisions, I identified as Buddhist for years, and I lived in a Tibetan Buddhist monastery for two years. I've done these works to death (no pun intended). The basic precepts are really liberating and useful, but as you delve deeper it becomes too tied to doctrine and tradition which is not useful. To be honest, I find the belief that suffering and deprivation are the best route to enlightenment to be very old world. The era we live in now is about expansive information, creativity, freedom, and expression; we can read about all faiths now, see the common thread that weaves between them all, and walk away with that understanding. Spirit is innate and not tied to doctrine. Processing suffering is important but I see no need to attach oneself to it.

Byron Katie's works are more practical than the heady (and frankly dismal) teachings of the Book of the Dead, and there is zero koolaid. She covers impermanence, death, delusion, and all the known precepts within an easy to implement system that helps you arrive at the truth without having to study major texts. In other words, you'll understand death, delusion, impermanence, etc. without having to be directly told about them. You'll understand that every challenge is a teacher here to show you your own projections and delusions that are preventing you from living a life of love. I first recommend "Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life", and then "A Thousand Names For Joy". And unlike so many modern guru wannabes, she does not call herself a guru, and she has actually walked the walk through her own path of intense suffering to realize what she is now teaching.
Byron Katie's philosophy/sprituality is interesting.

exactly,
I don't respect myself less for having bought into it completely before,
1)2)3) everything is the universe,
however there is a little twist of time in which you can be a convincing context,
but it is not really more than 5 minutes, though its trail extends in memories.

I tried reading it but i was honestly a bit dissapointed by the enormous amount of tributes to arbitrary deities, invocations, mantras and numerology as opposed to philosophical content. It seems to - ironically - contain plenty of attactment to comparatively worldly things, which i thought buddhism was all about resigning from. I couldn't be bothered to wade through all that nonsense. Supposedly the appeal of buddhism is its focus on a holistic principle that promotes personal spiritual advancement, and conversely the relative absence of braindead compulsive submissive ritualistic fluff seen in most religions.

The book seems at first glance more like a way to manipulate and transform dumb superstitious people into being superficially buddhist-passing than an honest logical exposition of core principles to the attentive mind. All the mentions of deities and numbers and little details to remember strike me as a kind of lure for those inclined toward a more shallow spirituality (i.e law-abiding and not creative/analytical).

I will leave room for a more definitive opinion since i didn't read the whole thing.

Last edited:
don't read the tibetan book of the dead to tripppers
don't do things that make it get it worse
do not produce death

death is worse death has it worse be as far as possible as from death
and as wholesome and advanced as possible
and like aware
and so on
like don't be more far away and be closer
not closer as in closing things down don't do that
open it up
and begin it

Beatniks look for experience in territory that others avoid.

the Tibetan book of the dead is quite interesting, but also full of local superstitions. chock full, as full as can be.
some people need it to help their stifled imaginations.

my imagination is a wild ride already. Death is surrounded by spooks.