• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Effexor XR and Amphetamine Potentiation

MikeRWK

Bluelighter
I was reading where its supposed to potentiate amps but was hoping someone on here has more information, im taking 75mg effexor xr a day
for social anxiety and im looking to try dextroamphetamine.

Try it and see, in theory it is possible it both blocks and potentiates dextroamphetamine depending on individual neurology, I'd say at 75 mg Effexor XR you should still feel some d-amp. Different people have reported different reactions on co-administration. Since Effexor occupies some of the NET that d-amp binds to, the two molecules will compete for NET, but at low doses of each, there will be enough NET such that both are occupied. However, it is possible that effexor will kick off some of the d-amp molecules bound to NET if it has a high enough affinity. Suggesting to take the Effexor after the amp will not be useful since it is XR and will probably have a steady plasma concentration.

Don't do it.
"Potentiating" amphetamine by any means usually leads to uncomfortable results.
I have personally mixed the two in the past -- although it blocked some effects, it also potentiated some effects, yes. But is it worth spending the entire experience wondering "I hope this combination isn't dangerous"?
Venlafaxine is a nasty drug with a plethora of side-effects and pharmaceutical interactions. It has more than one mechanism of action - most of which are only theoretical, making it difficult to predict how it would interact with other drugs.

Amphetamine's effects are very psychogenetic anyways -- does that make sense? Here, think of this: amphetamine's mental effects begin to wear off even while plasma levels of amphetamine remain stable or even continue to rise as more amphetamine enters your system. If an individual's body is physically exhausted from non drug-related issues, amphetamine's euphoric effects can be completely absent, simply because the individual's mind was not in the mood for it.

Now do you get what I mean by "psychogenetic"? State of mind is everything when it comes to amphetamine -- it needs no potentiation from other substances. Either it will produce positive effects on its own or it won't at all; all you can do by adding other substances is increase negative effects - not positive ones.

The only drugs I wouldn't advise against combining with amphetamine would be non-synthetic opiates (morphine, codeine, oxycodone, hydrocone, etc... No methadone or tramadol or any opiate that has significant SSRI/SNRI or NMDA-antagonist properties) or benzodiazepines - and that's only while the amphetamine is wearing off. They help with the comedown, and reduce negative physical effects, thereby increasing positive mental effects.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, very informative. I guess i'll leave the amps alone.

for me, coffein potentiates amphetamines.
i'm taking adderal IR and when it starts to wear off a coffee (slower but longer: green tea) gives me a lot of energy.

i think it makes me jittery and distracts me a little bit. which can be a problem with some tasks.
but be carefull a coffein tolerance builds up faster than you think.

As has been mentioned before, mixing antidepressants and amphetamines is not recommended. There are only a few drugs that can safely be mixed with amphetamines.

I couldnt find anything that said i couldnt, maybe you can enlighten me? Also would venlafaxine dull its effects like it does mdma?

Last edited:
Venlafaxine has some serious seizure risks when it is mixed with stimulants (including cocaine) if I recall correctly, which is the main issue I believe.

Last edited:
Wow, i've only did coke 3 times but im sure glad i didnt seize out :D

Venlafaxine has some serious seizure risks when it is mixed with stimulants (including cocaine) if I recall correctly, which is the main issue I believe.

this is more than likely true, however in my own personal experience (with Desvenlafaxine 50mg 'Pristiq') i felt pretty normal amphetamine highs. occasional binge seemed easier to manage, but i wouldn't push it there. after switching doctors, i was removed from the Desvenlafaxine cold turkey while remaining on adderall. no significant side effects for me, however, i must admit that two weeks in my urge (giggle) to binge has reached an all time high (i'm on a roll lol). not that it's uncontrollable, just that i can feel myself perhaps trying to compensate for the overall drop in NE.

2cents.

Im going to see my doctor this week and maybe getting switched, not so i can do drugs lol but because im apathetic as fuck and i eat constantly.Not liking the fucked up dreams either, the other night i was dreamin i had my hand up this girls skirt and i wokeup stroking the wall :S Not to mention the one where there was a traffic stop and a drug dog sniffed my car and all the airbags went off, then i got chased by a fucking airplane that was dropping bombs.

yes SSRIs/SNRIs ruin basically any drug. The only drug I can think of that wouldn't be affected by effexor's interactions or enzyme inhibition would be morphine, or either of the morphones.
Taking any stimulants will risk seizures, serotonin syndrome, or hypertensive crisis -- and most opiates (hydrocodone, oxycodone, codeine, etc) need to be metabolized by certain enzymes which I believe venlafaxine inhibits

Yeah ive come to that conclusion, ive been trying nootropics and herb extracts lately.I took 1g of phenibut today and noticed some effects :) and i have some kava extract too which is alright just dont rail it lol although it works holy fuck It Burned!

yes SSRIs/SNRIs ruin basically any drug. The only drug I can think of that wouldn't be affected by effexor's interactions or enzyme inhibition would be morphine, or either of the morphones.
Taking any stimulants will risk seizures, serotonin syndrome, or hypertensive crisis -- and most opiates (hydrocodone, oxycodone, codeine, etc) need to be metabolized by certain enzymes which I believe venlafaxine inhibits

I know this is an old thread but just for anyone else looking and thinking that this wont be them it will. I was stupid enough to take 70 mg of weak amphetamine (Phendimetrazine) along with my usual 150 mg of Venaflaxine and no more than two hours later I was seizing in the middle of a hallway. This stuff is not a joke! If you want to take any stimulants then you must wait for the venafalxine to leave your system first and even if you do this it is likely that a few months down the road you are going to feel the effects of withdraw from the Venaflaxine which are supposedly some of the worst, and thats if you dont feel them right away.