• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Effects of tramadol on a recovered heiron addict

Ghostsjpg

Greenlighter
Hi one of my friends (a recovering/recovered herion addicit) is wondering if tramadol would work for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but please be careful with it as abusing it can cause all sorts of problems since it has antidepressant qualities as well, and is known to cause seizures at doses above 400mg. I would advise using kratom instead, it will work just as well honestly.

Please do some in-depth research on tramadol before you use it, as there are a lot of contraindications and side effects

Hi. A few years ago I ruined 2 disks in my neck. My doc prescribed Tramadol for pain because he knew that I'd been an addict for decades. Merciless cravings began.

I was doing my best with 12-step but wanted the real thing. I knew my surgery date was approaching and couldn't wait because I knew I would get real drugs. I was housed in a program, you see. I woke after surgery and wanted MORE!

I was also on an SSRI. That added to Tramadol puts one at risk for seizures. One month later, I was kicked out of the program and became homeless. Two years later, I had 3 cervical disks fused with a titanium bar and 6 screws. My neck was fixed but the right arm is damaged. Today, I am on MMT and it is saving my life. Cravings remain. I got addicted to heroin at age 17 and today I am 63.

Taking Tramadol is risky if a heroin addict wants to stay clean. It just lights the fuse. Items like Vivazen or any Kratom can do the same thing. That's another story and another relapse.

I truly wish the best for you and your friend. Michael

Any drug can be used, misused, or abused. Make sure your friend knows that Tramadol has the potential for misuse or abuse as much as codeine, hydrocodone and oxycodone do.

There is no reason for a recovering addict to suffer in pain when there are medications that will help. Tramadol is probably the least of these, IMO. But your friend needs to go into this with wide open eyes, should share at meetings about this, and should certainly contact his/her sponsor ahead of time.

Tramadol could trigger the cravings for old habits. It happened to me. Maybe lyrica? Also neurotin is great, I went with kratom for pain and it helps immensely.