• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Effect of electronic cigarettes on the clearance rate of alprazolam vs. smoking

Jktm

Bluelighter
I'm currently prescribed 6mg of alprazolam per day and am in the process of trying to quit smoking by using electronic cigarettes. From my understanding it's the combustion of specific hydrocarbons from cigarette smoking that induces the CYP3A4 enzyme responsible for the metabolism of alprazolam as well as other benzodiazepines. My question is would vaporizing a nicotine solution have the same effect as regular cigarette smoking or would it negate these effects. I would also like to ask the same question for transdermal as well as sunlingual/buccal administration of nicotine.

TL;DR: Is it the act of traditional cigarette smoking itself that breaks down benzodiazepines so quickly or the nicotine itself that does so?

Where did you read that tobacco smoking iduces CYP3A4? I've only heard of it inducing CYP1A2, which is why smokers metabolize caffeine faster. In the case of CYP1A2, switching to nicotine would result in CYP1A2 levels returning to normal.

There is one paper here that suggests Xanax may be metabolized faster in cigarette smokers, but it also says the data is questionable. (If tobacco smoking does result in decreased alprazolam concentrations, then I imagine switching to nicotine would also stop this effect)

http://www.oregon.gov/oha/amh/tobacco-freedom/docs/drug-interactions.pdf

Last edited:
for me benzo's almost got me rehooked on cigarettes.

i hate cigarettes (after giving them up 6 years back) normally but on benzo's they seemed less foul

nicotine patches /electronic cigarettes/ "i only smoke joints" (full of toabbco)8)

not quitting for real no matter how much you delude yourself