• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Edibles question?

FutureReference

Bluelighter
Hey all,

I have been givdn different advice and it seems people are split. For making firecrackers, do I need to heat the weed up separately to decarb it? They seem to work when I just put the grinded bud on the cracker with peanut butter and heat them for 22 minutes but is this the best way? Does preheating the bud really make a difference?

My friend said that heating the bud first is necessary and that I am essentially just eating weed that has not been converted properly without doing it. I believe that the fat in the peanut butter at 300° F for about 20 minutes is perfect and don't understand why I would need to preheat the bud

If the bud is atop the peanut butter, no problem.
But the BEST way, imo, is to grind it up a bit, spread it out on a screen and do 220 degrees f for 20 minutes. Then put it on anything you want.
Crackers are ok, but if you like warm drinks you may want to try making Bhang. An indian milk tea with bud or hash. Careful, though, she’s potent when made properly. Like visual and heavy duty.

My way is to decarb the material, store it in a mason jar and add spoonfuls to whatever i am cooking/eating. Like, salads are good with it, for example. Try everything with it, see what works best for you and your tastebuds and receptor sites.

When I was younger I didn't believe in decarboxylation. ritz crackers and peanut butter with shake mixed through worked just fine. I forget the temps and time involved but they always got me high as shit. I want to say somewhere around 320F for like 23min, and then chilled in the fridge for a day? idk, can't really remember.

I would make them for long car rides and flights. They were pretty much a vacation-only kind of deal for me, as a way to get high around my folks when I couldn't get away.

YMMV, but I find 220 is dialled in for me, at sea level.
Some cannabinoids start to vaporize nearing 300 degrees or even before that.
But you kept the time short, so that works out.
I remember it as 220 for 20.
And it works.
If you go higher, heat for less time.
I would make them for long car rides and flights. They were pretty much a vacation-only kind of deal for me, as a way to get high around my folks when I couldn't get away.
That's awesome, hehe! My mom would always know when I'd had even the slightest toke.

Can i do anything quick in terms of edibles with a nice bud?
Say i want to easily convert an 1/8g to an edible with household items, whats the easiest way?

Im well skilled and versed with rc drugs and careful managment and prep but quite inexperienced with weed.
I smoked heavily in teens but took a break of 10 years. Now i smoke once a week at most but wanting to try a quick easy edible

Can i do anything quick in terms of edibles with a nice bud?
Say i want to easily convert an 1/8g to an edible with household items, whats the easiest way?

Im well skilled and versed with rc drugs and careful managment and prep but quite inexperienced with weed.
I smoked heavily in teens but took a break of 10 years. Now i smoke once a week at most but wanting to try a quick easy edible

The simplest, quickest way is to make firecracker(s).

1. decarb bud at 240F for 45-60 minutes (some people do this in a pie plate covered with tinfoil w/holes poked in it.
2. Let cool completely to room remperature.
3. ritz crackers > spread peanut buttet on it.
4. sprinkle weed on the peanut butter and cap w/another ritz.

I make a bunch of these, individually wrap them in tinfoil and store them in a ziploc bag in the freezer. Made like this you do *not* need to cook the peanut butter ritz sandwiches. Alternatively, you could spread undecarbed weed on peanut butter/ritz cracker, wrap in tin foil and cook. Couldn't tell you how long, never made em that way.

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks, is the decarb process the part that allows the weed to be edible?
So low heat for the time specified above is all thats needed?

Appreciate your help, i am just experienced with many other drugs and not much with weed

Also, does the oil in peanut butter help? I have read the fats part is important evdn thoughi dont get the process yet lol

Hey all,

I have been givdn different advice and it seems people are split. For making firecrackers, do I need to heat the weed up separately to decarb it? They seem to work when I just put the grinded bud on the cracker with peanut butter and heat them for 22 minutes but is this the best way? Does preheating the bud really make a difference?

My friend said that heating the bud first is necessary and that I am essentially just eating weed that has not been converted properly without doing it. I believe that the fat in the peanut butter at 300° F for about 20 minutes is perfect and don't understand why I would need to preheat the bud
16008Just grow some spores into a micellium on an oatmeal and ingest that. You don't need mushrooms to grow out of it. Two weeks of storing the jars in a dark should do it. Beware of the green mold, though. That thing pays no respect to colloidal silver whatsoever.

But the BEST way, imo, is to grind it up a bit, spread it out on a screen and do 220 degrees f for 20 minutes. Then put it on anything you want.

My way is to decarb the material, store it in a mason jar and add spoonfuls to whatever i am cooking/eating. Like, salads are good with it, for example. Try everything with it, see what works best for you and your tastebuds and receptor sites.

I find it hard to decarb bud .. its not accurate .. best way imo is to ext into coconut oil and decarb liquid with a candy thermometer... Not possible here so bud in oven it is but I would wager the bud doesnt reach the temp oven is set to but there is no way to tell... so personally id turn it slightly higher to 230 F ... and id decarb longer too, say about 30-40 min. But I think these are small variables that will need adjusting to each batch of weed. Just whip up a small batch or two to test and see which works best .

Of important note is to get an oven thermometer as most ovens dont heat to the stated temp

Once decarbed proceed with your firecrackers
I realize weed naturally decarbsover time but i thought once decarbed it degraded faster in light oxygen etc...
Drumtripper you ever ntoice any degredation to your decarbed weed mason jar?

Last edited:
Hard to say, but not really. I’m sure it is degrading, of course, but maybe I just keep unconsciously adding more, little by litte.
I don;t use my scale for this, but should start, and start thinking about these things so I can figure out the process in a more empirical sense.

Also, does the oil in peanut butter help? I have read the fats part is important evdn thoughi dont get the process yet lol

The heating does the decarboxylation (converting it into a psychoactive form). Without decarbing you would have little or no high.

THC is fat soluble, highly fat soluble. The fats could help ab/adsorb THC. It can’t hurt but 8 think it’s completely unnecessary. It tastes better than just eating a capsule of decarbed weed.

*If* you decarb the entire 1/8 at once, once it is cooled to room temperature you can store it in an airtight container and use as needed.

Just a word of precaution; if it’s half decent weed (say 15% THC) you’ve got ~525 mg THC. Do not eat it all at once - could be unpleasant.

Tom

Awesome, thanks so much.
The weed is very good, in this case its strong indica.

What is a decent amount of thc by mg for edible? Using your math, a gram would have a little 4000mg (8 × 525mg) so this math helps for me to plan but how many mg is a good edible dose? I understand this will vary as lot, but again assuming my 1/8 gram is good weed.

Thanks by the way for the help

For a weed naive user, 10mg of THC is the typical starting dose. It's also the standard single serving amount listed on most legal edible products.

Awesome, thanks so much.
The weed is very good, in this case its strong indica.

What is a decent amount of thc by mg for edible? Using your math, a gram would have a little 4000mg (8 × 525mg) so this math helps for me to plan but how many mg is a good edible dose? I understand this will vary as lot, but again assuming my 1/8 gram is good weed.

Thanks by the way for the help

Your math is a bit off. 1/8 = 3.5 g = 3500 mg
*If* your weed is 10% THC by weight, then 0.1 x 3500 = 350 mg(THC)
15% THC > 0.15 x 3500 = 525 mg(THC) and so on.

Total weight (mg) x % THC wt = mg THC

And yeah, 10 mg is a nice starting point.

Tom

Ok thanks. Im not a newbie to weed, i have smoked it on and off for 20 years. I have never been big into it though, i just like it occasionally.
Also the 1/8 reference was a bad choice on my part. 1/8th is a ,measure in numerous countries but not Australia. We dont use a 3.5 gram measure with weed (nor any powders) we have a 3fer n weed which is 3 grams lol. No equivalent for powder though, so my example was way off. I meant 1/2 of of a 1/4 gram. I assume with my tolerance, that is all i would require in edibles. I have currently couple of grams (month or so worth for me) so could use more when decarbing than 1/8 th of a gram.

So i can work with the updated math above, greatly appreciate the breakdown. Now i also understand 10mg is good for a starting point, what is decent for a regular user of edibles, so i can find the middle for my use.
Thanks in advance

I like 32mg of thc. Not allot for my tolerance but works well, without getting into a psychedelic headspace. For me, going over 50mg is when it starts to get trippy. We are all different, though, so titrate up as you are comfortable.

Ok thanks. Im not a newbie to weed, i have smoked it on and off for 20 years. I have never been big into it though, i just like it occasionally.
Also the 1/8 reference was a bad choice on my part. 1/8th is a ,measure in numerous countries but not Australia. We dont use a 3.5 gram measure with weed (nor any powders) we have a 3fer n weed which is 3 grams lol. No equivalent for powder though, so my example was way off. I meant 1/2 of of a 1/4 gram. I assume with my tolerance, that is all i would require in edibles. I have currently couple of grams (month or so worth for me) so could use more when decarbing than 1/8 th of a gram.

So i can work with the updated math above, greatly appreciate the breakdown. Now i also understand 10mg is good for a starting point, what is decent for a regular user of edibles, so i can find the middle for my use.
Thanks in advance

1/2 of 1/4 gram (if I've got that right).
0.125g = 125 mg
125 mg x (15% thc wt as an example) = 125 x 0.15 = 18.75 mg THC

As a regular user of edibles - i use 80 - 100 mg THC; either oil or gel caps.

Would def start at 10 mg, and then if you fimd it underwhelming take more the next time.

Curious how this plays out for you.

Tom

Been making edibles for a long time and here is what i do. Its quick n dirty and will knock your dick in the dirt.

1) Decarb the ganja. Place the cleaned up ganja on foil, loosely wraped and place in a preheated 240*F oven for 40 minutes. Thats it, ganja is activated. Properly decarbed ganja is dark almost burnt looking, crispy crunchy dry and it absolutely freaking stinks. It will look as if its ruined but it isnt.

2) grind it fine using a spoon and a glass mason jar or coffee cup. Add some lecithin to help it hit harder (1tsp per 3.5 grams). Mix the decarbed ganja into the butter or oil your boxed brownie or muffin recipe calls for. Place it into a 200*F oven for 20 minutes to really get the oil and cannabinoids to mix well.

3) follow the directions on the box your brownies came in. Bake, let cool and then cut them into 12 pieces for even dosing.

Speaking of dosage... most stoners are good with a 1/4er of a gram of decarbed ganja per dose. So an 1/8th (3.5 grams) would be good for a dozen brownies. I like mine strong so use more but just dont make them to strong or people will bug out off of them. You can make people horribly ill if youre not careful.

Getting the most out of decarbed ganja... 2 things stand out, fatts or fatty oils and lecithin. Lecithin is an emulsifier and helps them hit HARD where as fatty oil like coconut oil will help them hit FAST.

My brownies suck bags of old salty dicks, there is no consistency, wtf, etc, etc, wtf shall i do?
Its the decarb, its always the decarb. 240*F for 40 minutes, no more, no less.

Anything else? Yes actually there is. You can freeze the oil, then pet it into a 200*F oven for 20 minutes, then freeze again, then 200*F for 20 minutes, its ready. This adds a bit more CBN to your oil and it creates that couch lock we all love.

What else can i do? How bout you decarb some ganja, let it cool, grind fine and store in a pill bottle. You can make fire crackers or hot coco in a pinch and it works well. It lasts for ever in the pill bottle. Just decarb a gram or 2 and use a 1/4er of a gram or half a gram at a time.

As gnarly as it is, i decarb an ounce to a QP at a time, mix with lecithin and coconut oil, do the heat / freaze cycles, then eat it by the tble spoon. Each table spoon = 3/4 gram of ganja (150mg to 200mg of cannabinoids). It tastes like it smells... gnarly as fuck.

Good luck and enjoy my friends