News ED Docs Split Over Fentanyl Analogue Schedule 1 Extension

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

ED Docs Split Over Fentanyl Analogue Schedule 1 Extension​

Shannon Firth
MedPage Today
4 May 2021

“Emergency physicians clashed over lawmakers' decision to extend the classification of all fentanyl-like drugs as Schedule 1 controlled substances.

President Biden on Tuesday signed legislation to temporarily extend the Trump-era order until Oct. 22, 2021. (The order was slated to expire on May 6.)

Proponents say the order helped law enforcement prosecute drug traffickers, but criminal justice reform advocates oppose the extension, because Schedule 1 drugs require mandatory minimum sentences, which would lead to more incarcerations and exacerbate racial disparities in prison.

Public health opponents of the measure argue that it is overly broad, and that substances with no psychoactive effects could be placed on Schedule 1 by mistake without any input from HHS experts, including researchers at the National Institute on Drug Abuse and the FDA.”

Wait, what? They made pharma fentanyl temp schedule 1??? When?

Wtf is this going to do to stop illegal fentanyl?

I believe it only is for fentanyl analogues, not fentanyl itself. Not sure why they think it’ll change anything...

I couldn't read the full article without signing up but I don't understand the part about them arguing that Fentanyl analogs shouldn't be Class 1 because it would increase racial disparity in our prison systems. Are they addmitting that brown people disproportionately traffic fentanyl and are they really fighting against the laws because..... "What about the dealers?".... lol

Why can't it simply be wrong to incarcerate drug users under humanitarian grounds, regardless of whether they're white or brown. It seems like the only thing that draws any attention, understanding or forgiveness for social issues in today's society is the race card. I really don't get what they are trying to say in that regard. Should crimes not be prosecuted simply because they are disproportionately committed by non whites. Why can't we condemn draconian drug laws simply because it's wrong to treat all people with an affliction as criminals. Sorry... I don't know why that stood out. I guess my nerves are a little raw because of an affirmative action argument I got into this morning. I apologize if the sentiment offends anyone.

Last edited:
Why can't it simply be wrong to incarcerate drug users under humanitarian grounds
the reason black people are discussed so much when it comes to drug laws is that, at least in the US, the laws were designed to target them. you can see this just in the DOJ numbers as well as nixon's aide stating this literally. why did MLK Jr. only focus on jim crow laws if people around the globe are affected by segreation? do you see the problem with this logic?

the reason black people are discussed so much when it comes to drug laws is that, at least in the US, the laws were designed to target them. you can see this just in the DOJ numbers as well as nixon's aide stating this literally. why did MLK Jr. only focus on jim crow laws if people around the globe are affected by segreation? do you see the problem with this logic?

Its a very stupid reason not to place an extremely dangerous drug that is killing people in record numbers in schedule 1 simply because it is recognized that it is disproportionately trafficked by minorities or people of color. That's what the DOJ #'s tell us. This article has nothing to do with MLK or Jim Crow laws. I'm not even taking that bait, so yes I see a problem with the logic. I don't even know what you're trying to say.

And the Nixon "War On Drugs" was initially set up to target drug users, protesting hippies and African American drug dealers who were all targets because they were part of the antiwar left but by and large "The War on Drugs" as it were, was simply expanding on and enforcing existing narcotics laws that were already on the books.

Last edited: