• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Ecstacy : The Darkside

Paul the E Fiend

Bluelighter
I took my first E in August 2000 aged 17, taking one a week, moving to 2 after a few weeks. Around this time was the happiest. I started college and met a girl, who was my first serious girlfriend. I met so many cool people, and stopped attending lessons so I could sit in the pub all day. At this point I looked healthy, maybe drinking and smoking too much.
I started going to parties all the time, and using all my money on drink, not on my girlfriend or on food. I think because up until I started college, I was never genuinely happy, and didnt know anyone I could relate to - but when I started college this changed and I probably got over excited!
Then I lost my part time job selling motor insurance, due to absence. So I was sitting in the pub all day with my girlfriend with very little money. She was getting pissed off, I never thought she'd leave me though. My Ecstacy consumption increased at that point so when I went to our favourite nightclub each thursday i was taking 3/4 within 5 hours. I remember my girlfriend at one point saying I loved pills more than her, which wasnt true. Then in Feb 2001 she dumped me. I was gutted and at the time pretended to my friends I wasnt bothered.
In March I started a well paid job in a pension company. I was going to my friends house whenever i was paid with shit load of Es, cocaine, pot and drink.(my friends were all unemployed so i funded the parties) My drug use soared after my girlfriend dumped me.
In April 2001 I moved out of my dad's house where i wasnt happy and moved into a flat with my sister. We were very close and both going through a wild phase. She had broken up with her boyfriend and was drinking a lot too. There were regular parties there and I began phoning up work to call in sick. By now I was taking 10 Es and hardly eating enough. It became a nightmare going to work in the state I was in, trying to concentrate for 8 hours.
For a brief time I stopped taking drugs and drink and began to excel in work. Then in June i made a bad choice (drug induced). My best friend came down to my flat and I bought 16 Ecstacy tablets and plenty of booze. Before I knew it it was morning time, I was due in work in 2 hours and totally twisted on drugs. Then me and my friend decided to go and work in Spain for the summer. I phoned up work and tried to explain my plans, eventually they understad my drugged up gibberings.
So now i had no job. I went the cash machine and took out 300 pound (which i didnt have - it was overdraft) Then I went back again and took another 300 pounds. As i sobered up i realised what i'd done. To make matters worse i had worked in my aunties company, so word got round to my dad. I didnt answer my mobile for days and it rang constantly. The plan to go to spain fell through, because my friends girlfriend lied she was pregnant. So I had 600 pound and no job. I could either put the money back in the bank, or go on a crazy drug fuelled rampage. I chose the latter.
I was kicked out of the flat by my sister for selfishly not paying my share of the rent, and also for covering the new carpet in pot burns. For the next few months I sat in a friends house wrecked on ecstacy, and vodka. I spent all the money, sobered up and thought Fuck! what have I done. So then i moved back into my dads in Aug 2001. I continued to take large amounts of E, and generally felt like shit, depressed.
Then a few weeks later on a hot summers day i went to my friends plave and took speed, which i'd never tried. I didnt like it, it just made me feel to hot, and it also made my legs feel weird ( a bit like the next day after rolling). However I continued to take it through the night, and noticed me and my friends seemed to be in a bad mood and argueing. The next day we'd still had no sleep, we were sitting round playing computer games. One of my friends who liked to see himself as the leader was acting like a prick. Someone turned Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells, and it made me feel dark. (Hope you know what i mean by that!) Then i flipped on the friend who'd been annoying us, and he shouted stuff back. From that point on I felt severe paranoia. Although my other friends were on my side, i thought everyone was against me. I didnt now where to look. I'd never felt anything like it. I decided to leave and walk home , even though i had no idea where I was. This was a traumatic walk home, hearing things that werent there. To this day i feel quite distant from my friends, even ones who weren't there.
In November that year I went to a techno event called twisted disco with two friends and his ex girlfriend. She had speed, and I thought i'd try some because of the setting. I connected with her incredibly and I asked my friend if he minded if i kissed her(they used to go out together) - and then we kissed. It was great and so was the speed. The next morning I left her place and was walking home feeling bad.
On the way home I became painfully paranoid. It was a sickening paranoia - like people over the round shouting "Fuck You Cunt" and i looked over and they werent even saying it. i got home and I was alone. Lying in bed I could hear my heart beat and see things. Eventually my legs and arms went numb and a terrible pain in my chest - i thought shit this is it. I phoned up my sister and said i think im dying. An ambulance took me away and it turns out it was a severe panic attack. I haven't touched speed since.
I'm currently unemployed and feelig down and lonely - i really need a girlfriend i think! I havent taken an E for 2 months and havent touched coke for 4 months. I think the future will improve though
[ 05 August 2002: Message edited by: Paul the E Fiend ]
[ 15 August 2002: Message edited by: Paul the E Fiend ]

Paul, this may not seem to relate but it does.
When I was younger I dreamed of being an orphan on the streets, and later of having anorexia or being really ill in hospital. Now I have the occasional fantasy about being a drug addict, descending into caring about nothing but getting high and completely fucking up my comfortable, middle class, corporate existance. I think in some twisted way it's a reaction to life's banality and predictability or perhaps just a cry for attention.
But reading stories like yours snaps me back to reality really fast. That's why I come to this forum, and that is what I'm thanking you for, for making me realise how much I have to lose.
I wish you all the best buddy, and no judgements because you crossed that line - I'm not proud of many moments I've had either, and the instinct to self-destruct lives in all of us, to some degree.
The only thing to do now is salvage from this point on, the things which mean the most to you; and it sounds like you're doing that.
Best of luck. :)

Im really sorry to hear about your past experiences but I am glad to see you are snapping out of it and trying to make everything better. I wish you the best of luck

Thanx for the feedback.
I remember when I was younger our house was so quiet, never any parties so I thought as soon as I can I'll party hard. Well i did party hard and so i'm partied out

it's great to see that you have stopped, and that you do realise that you do have a problem with this stuff, because that is the first step to getting over it.
i can't stress how important it was to get off the pills, as they were just a completely destructive cycle. do everything you can to stay away for as long as possible, get your life back together, get a job, get a girlfriend, and if you start having more problems with panic attacks/anxiety, go and see a doctor.
anyway, great to hear that you are pulling yourself back together :)
CB :)

Paul the E Fiend,
thanks for your post - i'm busy at the mo but will pop back in and reply properly.
in the meantime, may i just suggest one thing - paragraphs. they really do make your posts loads easier to understand :)

Ahhhh!!! nooooooooo!!! *he he* No, seriously,
re- read your post Paul ... I thought you had come to a realisation about that?
I'm not saying don't do it - because if you want to really badly you will anyway. But just realise that it aint going to solve anything... a few hours of chemically-induced elation, then a bigger hole, you know that's how it goes. That's if you were really serious about what you said in the first place. You seem like a decent guy, so I'm sure you know what I mean.
Save the pills for fun; they're not anti-depressants and shouldn't be treated that way ...
is there someone you can talk to/email?
Go buy yourself a CD or something, play computer games, get outside?
If you have to; plan yourself a night out with your mates a month or so from now, so you can look forward to a pill during happier times. Just don't do it when you're down mate.
big hugs :)

Thanks strawberry....
I've been trying to find a job for over 2 months and am bored to tears so I was thinking I'd rather be happy for 6 hours than not at all.....
My head's in a knot

Firstly Id like to congratulate you on cleaning your act up. I have a problem with ecstasy and Im trying to leave the scene. Im not happy with where my life is heading. Im employed luckily and very good at my job. But I constantly are asking how long will it last. Im constantly just about once a month nearly having mondays off due to coming down. sometimes even tuesday depending on wot i took and how much and how hard i went in the weekend.
My problem is I get bored and lonely. so i end up going out.
My other problem is I cant stand my family. I want to move out but that would mean staying home all weekend and that always ends in screaming matches. It has nothing to do with my drug use. I resent alot. My mother had me when she was 16 and my grandmother adopted me. neither of them loved me at all. My birth mother has had kids and has loved them the way I have never experienced u no how much that hurts? My grandmothers youngest son had an accident and abused me til i was 15. luckily Im not in that situation anymore but i hate my family for it.
as for visiting mates. they either in relationships, too scat, too busy.... I find it hard to meet people.
I dont think finding a relationship at this stage is good too much baggage. No one wants someone with baggage. remember that when looking for your next partner. it can cause alot of problems. I find it hard to trust anyone. No one has ever given me reason to. I try trusting someone and they always fail me. :(

On Friday night I took 2 E "Rolex" and shit loads of Cocaine. I had a bad downer because of the coke but after plenty of sleep I got up, drank some orange juice and ate some pizza and burgers and today I feel fine. I'm suprised....

Look at your posts, Paul. I'm glad your're feeling better, but don't you think you might benefit laying off the E, coke, booze, whatever for a while longer? Now that you know you can have fun with family and friends, it doesn't sound to me like you really need any substances. Why not enjoy yor Dad, work, college for a year or so sober? Your're young, the dope aint goin nowhere.

paul,
I'd rather be happy for 6 hours than not at all.....
but what about the week afterwards?
you said you're feeling fine now, that's wicked - but after a prolonged period of abuse, you're only just starting again. if you bosh loads of pills too soon, you will come down hard, and it won't be fun.
finding employment really would help - i'm having the same problem :( but just remember to keep a positive mindframe, because then positive things happen :)
-seuss-

Sydkiwi check this out. I have been there and done that. Everything you said in your post rang true to me. Please, PLEASE listen to me. You too Paul!!! You guys, I've never tried E in my entire life, only because I have no clue where to get a hold of it, and I'm too damn old for raves.
LOL. That's alright, cause slamming crytal meth keeps me plenty busy though. It has kept me so busy that 2 years ago in order to quit losing my bleedin jobs, I knew I had to either quit or cut back. I chose the later. For the last 2 years, I wait 90 days, (give or take a few) then I take off work 1 week and slam.
Sydkiwi and Paul I have ALSO been in the position where I was foced to move back home on a couple occasions. Like you, I was definately not wanted. Yes I was fucking miserable. However, I got up off my dead ass, and as much as I hated looking for work, I found some work.
If I am correct, you 2 aren't from the USA. However, I'm sure Australia (forgive me if I have the country wrong) has something like an Unemployment Office. You don't have to be unemployed or anything, they will help you look for a better job to get paid WHAT YOUR'RE WORTH!
There are resources out there, (by the way this message is for you too Dr. Suess in terms of work) you just have to look. I had to put down the crystal for 3 months, sure. And yeah looking for work sucks. I tell you this, I found not one but TWO jobs!
I chose to work both jobs, 7 days a week for 8 months. I'm not saying you guys should but check this out. I am now for the first time in my life DEBT FREE! Not only that, but I found a great place to live for the time being. Once you guys put down the E for a while or for good (thats up to you to decide)
you will have the rewards sobriety gives you. You will be so busy working (if you work 7 days a week) you won't have time to get into trouble. You can save money. You can move out of your parents house. One thing I learned is that if you start living BELOW your financial means, as opposed to AT or BEYOND your means, you will actually have money to play with!!!
Once you do that, you will have more confidence. Now as for relationships, you are definatly right to wait until you've cleared your emotional baggage. I'm so sorry to hear about your lack of love from your birthmother Syd. My birthfather went and knocked up at least 4 (maybe 6) women but he didn't raise any of us.
Once you are done with stopping the E for awhile (get another job to keep you out of trouble on the weekends you guys) and once you move into a place of your own, that will be a start. Trust me, that will keep you plenty busy for awhile.
Once you have your own place, there is no shame asking for help from God and perhaps a good psychologist. You can work out your lack of love. You can fill the void where your parents let you down. Once you do that, it will be obvious to the world how much love and happiness you have.
Women (the right ones) will want to be around you. For the past 2 years I've rented a room out of a house. In another year or 2 I should have a small studio or flat. In the meantime, this is definatly keeping my expenses down.
If and when I'm ever ready, perhaps one day I will meet a man that doesn't mind that I slam every 3 months. Maybe I won't. I'm ALOT happier now though you guys, than I was when I was where you were at. I send all 3 of you lots of love. Hugs.
TJ

TJ: thanks for that.
but for one: despite wot the average aussie thinks. I can NOT collect the dole. I have to go to immigration and apply for Australian citizenship first. Lucky for me I have no convictions of any kind and a clean record. Id be screwed if i had something like possession of drugs against my name. Even if it was 1 pill its still possession. and im still screwed.
I do work.
I have had councelling i was there for a year. she put me back on prozac. I was NOT happy about that. Ill stop whinging about that. I when i moved back into my bith mothers I dont think theres been a tiem when ive needed them more. I may of started to forgive my family then. Now I dont think 100 years of it would undo the damage in the last year alone.

There is still time for you!
My first ex-husband did every Drug he could get his hands on, on a regular basis, and drank like mad!
He also beat me, and cheated on me. I finally one day came to my senses, but not til I was hospitalized.
Years after we were Divorced he went to AA because he finally figured out he had a problem and decided to do something about it. He had a long Police record by that time too! It seems that it is hard to support a Drug habit and Alcoholism without being employed, or having a woman to support you. He called me up, and told me that I had to forgive him! I could NOT believe the nerve he had! I understood he was messed up, bit, Honestly.....I will never forgive him for what he did to me over the years. Or for neglecting our daughter!
Why am I telling you all of this? Because you can still change before things get even worse! You can still get a job, you did not mention getting arrested (so hopefully you have not!), you have NOT lost your wife and daughter. His friends ended up Hating him, he ripped ALL of them off too! He broke into MY parent's house and stole stuff from them!
Please, make the right decision! There are so many people out there that will try to Hurt you, give yourself a break, stop Hurting yourself!

jesuslovesraversinseattle -
i'm so sorry to hear about what's happened to you - but glad that things seem to be a bit better now :)
tj - i've just left my position for the last 12 months because i'm due to start studying in 4 weeks. i'm only looking for temporary work :) the year before that, after i left school, i was working two jobs from 8am to 11pm 6 days a week... the problem is that it's a slow time in the temp market.
but enough of that :) hope things are looking up paul!

Reading all these replies helps me a lot. The 10 weeks I spent without any drugs recently has really helped me a lot, and despite a mad weekend I'm feeling fine my head is straight, and I've got a long term plan in this order:
Get a job
Get a flat in South Liverpool
Get more music equipment
Send my music off
Get a girlfriend
Become a producer!!!!
Maybe the last one is a bit far fetched but I can certainly do the rest

well my short term plan is
cut down more and quit altogether my prob is its not like i cant afford to go out.
save up bond and move. haha maybe rent would cut heavily down on alot.
I dont no maybe think about my future i have no idea where i wanna be in say 5 years fuck i dont no wot i wanna be doing next year. I wanna go back to uni but wot to study is another thing.
hahah funny thing is i no wot i want in a bloke but no idea wot to do with my life. I guess thats the way it goes :)
jesuslovesraversinseattle: i no wot u mean by drug using exs. Where I grew up pot users tended to be the long term unemployed who did nothing but whinge about their situation and never did anything to fix it.
Ive had two exes who smoked alot of pot. Ive nothing against pot. Moderation ie not every bloody day is fine unless you have a medicle cert that says u either suffer from some disease or some horrific injury and are in loads of pain. I mean yeah ok I can understand that. smoke the stuff to help u tolerate the pain.
but these are your normal guys. and their pot habits drove me up the wall. You could tell it was badly affecting them. they had jobs but at the end of the day they still were no better than the unemployed bums i grew up with. One of them constantly whinged about everything. I think it was good ol paranoia. its like you have a good job, your family obivously love u, u have loads of friends. i on the other hand unemployed, my family treat me like shit, I dont no anyone except his friends. and u dont hear me complaining about it and threatning to kill myself (this was a few years ago). yes he did say if he could he'd end his life on several occasions. I soon dumped him and he didnt try suicide haha maybe cos i moved back to nz and broke it off when i decided to stay back home..