Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Earthbound Teaches Meditation

Cabbanis Lifestyle

Bluelighter
Hello!

Recently I got myself a Rapsbery Pi Super Nintendo emulator. Now I can simply download any classic game and play at will.

Right now I'm in the middle of playing Earthbound.

EarthBound_capa.png

If you never played it, I think it's worth taking your time. I want to talk about a short 2-minute scene that I felt was super meaningful.

This game has reference to magic truffles, LSD, and many psychedelic drugs. At a certain point, we eat a magic cake, implied to be a hash cake.
The game shows the effects of the cake really quickly like a Mescaline trip just started and the character falls asleep having a vivid lucid dream.

In the count of monte cristo there's a similar scene where the characters eat a hash cake after dinner and they fall asleep and during this sleep they have a super vivid trippy dream.

In this dream, we control another character who is the "Prince of the crown".

The Crown is a reference to the crown chakra. This is to say that this character is a humanoid representation of the highest level mind of the character, Nes.

The Prince of the Crown needs to undergo his final test to finish his training. He needs to master Mu.

Mu is a concept kinda similar to Nirvana. It can be understood as void or emptiness.

This is the place of Mu.

Those who train here must first clear everything from their minds.
If you can make your mind blank and learn the true meaning of Mu you'll pass through.

Mu is Mu...

Our prince of the crown goes up the ropes and starts his exercise of meditation. Soon a voice comes from far away and tries to get his attention. You have to resist and not touch the controller, or the training will be interrupted.

Much like when we meditate and there's this verbalization tempting our attention and focus. The first step to achieve emptiness is to successfully ignore this little voice.

This mental voice seems to threaten us and for some, it can be scary. Sometimes during meditation, I jerk myself out of trance because I suddenly become alarmed by the numbness of my body.

You will lose use of them.
Do you accept?
>Yes No

Next, I'll take your arms.
Do you accept?
>Yes No

Now I'll cut your ears off
You do not mind my taking your hearing away, do you?
Do you accept?
>Yes No

Now, Prince, no legs no arms, and no sounds. By floating words through the air, I must ask you...

If you did guided meditation, then you know what this refers to. During a meditation trance, there's a point in which your entire perception of self is numb and all verbalization seems to spark out of nowhere and float in the middle of the mind.
You don't really recognize your body. You know that if you move you break the spell and you will be able to feel your legs and arms again, but you don't want this yet, you are on a mental journey.

After this point, even the mind disappears.

Do you want to live in eternal darkness?
Do you accept this?
>Yes No

Master, now I can only communicate directly with your mind.
Your mind is all you have left.
In the end, I will take your mind, though you probably don't want to allow that, do you?

Are you sad, are you lonely?

If you lose your mind, you also lose any feelings of sadness.

Know that I'll take your mind. Know that I'll possess it.

I found this was a fantastic way to illustrate states of trance.
The first step is to at least try and empty the mind.

After we must learn how to ignore little voices that call us to "survival" mode.

Then we must give up body sensations and let the mind be.

As we connect with the roots of the mind we get a glimpse of Mu. But we are still limited by our current state and can't quite get to full Mu. Maybe later in the game, I'll see.

In samurai culture, emptiness is very important.

For example, Musashi in his Book of Five Rings has an entire chapter (one of the five rings) that talks about Shadow. Meaning, the Mu aspect of everything. He believed that this was the right state of mind to win battles.

"In emptiness, there is good but no evil. Wisdom exists, logic exists, the Way exists, the mind is empty.”​

Musashi​

Another martial arts master, who wrote The Book of Family Traditions on the Art of War, Yagyu Munero also wrote an entire chapter to talk about Emptiness and regarded it as the most important aspect of martial arts.

Emptiness is the eye of Buddhism. There is a distinction between false emptiness and real emptiness. False emptiness is a simile for nothingness. Real emptiness is genuine emptiness, which is emptiness of mind. Although the mind is like empty space, being formless, the one mind is the master of the body, so the performance of all actions is in the mind. Yagyu Munero