Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Dxm

doofhard

Bluelighter
Thought I had correct information about the fact that Robitussin Dx contained 30mg/10mls but according to person that visited chemist says 30mg/100ml.

Can I get the correct info please.

I know there was a thread about it a while ago thats where I got my information but maybe my memory has scrambled it.

I cant remember how much liquid is in Robitussin DX, but I do know that it contains 600mg of DXM (same with Benadryl Forte). Check the .Dextroverse . They have all the different brands of cough syrup listed with their total dxm content

Last edited by a moderator:
30mg/10mls sounds more correct. They may have been looking at another mixture maybe?

Last edited:
from here.

Robitussin EX: Each 10 mL contains: Guaiphenesin 200 mg; Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide 30 mg.

Robitussin DX: Each 10 mL contains: Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide 30 mg.

Robitussin ME: Each 10 mL contains: Guaiphenesin 200 mg, Bromhexine Hydrochloride 8 mg.

Robitussin DM: Each 10 mL contains: Guaiphenesin 200 mg; Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide 30 mg.

It's 30mg per 10ml, on a 200ml family size bottle it is 600mg DXM. Your pharmacist was lying to, or needs to learn to read the label.

Robitussin DX: Each 10 mL contains: Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide 30 mg.

yep, got a bottle of robotusin DX in front of me right now and thats what it says, i've got a bit of a cold at the moment.

i always say i have a 'dry irritating cough' ... the exact words on the label i think :)

is DX still on sale in australia? i went to get some the other day and no one had it and said they can't get it in :S

i grabed the DM instead but gotta find some Sodium Hydroxide from somewere

its available in se qld... saw bottles on display last week whilst at the chemist

Originally posted by Halo 99
is DX still on sale in australia? i went to get some the other day and no one had it and said they can't get it in :S

Pharmacies will often say things like this simply because they are denying the sale. They may not stock it, they may not want to sell it to you, but it is sold elsewhere. I would recommend saying something like, you have a dry cough, and Robitussin DX has worked well for you in the past.

i grabed the DM instead but gotta find some Sodium Hydroxide from somewere

Your going to need a little more than sodium hydroxide to separate the Guaiphenesin from the DXM. It is safer to keep it for when you have a cough, and go find some DX to trip off.

I've found Robitussin DX more than easy to find. I dont exactly live in a big town and at my local chemist they stock it. I just go straight in and ask for it straight up, no questions have ever been asked. I've purchased it from a number of various pharmacies and never really been hassled about it. When asked as others have suggested I reply with "yeah i'm after it cos its worked well in the past". And hey this isn't technically lying, it has worked well in the past, just not in the conventional context of use.

Beech out

^^^Whenever I'm asked, I just say its because I am allergic to Psuedoephadrine (which is true) and Guaiphenesin (not so true).

BT, i was told by the chemist that robitussin no longer makes honey cough syrup, only some crappy lozinges with no active ingredients other than MENTHOL.

HMMMM no thanks lady!!!!

Originally posted by drinky_mcbeer
why do u hav to get dx if all the other kinds (except me) contain the same amount of dxm

If you have large doses of guaifenesin it can cause severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and gastric irritation. Remember when you take a non-DX syrup you are taking 200mg guaifenesin per 10ml, which on a 200mg common DXM dose you are taking 1320mg of guaifenesin! Please do not use anything that is not dextromethorphan only!

Last edited: