• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc DXM story and questions about possible health concerns

Berkyhan

Greenlighter
This is my first time posting here so I apologize if anything I say sounds dumb.

About a year or so ago my friend took some DXM. She was 18, 5'10", and 120/130 lbs at the time. I'm not exactly sure how much of it she took, all I know is that she drank a whole 8oz bottle of Dollar General brand Tussin DM. She felt the effects come on about an hour later and she said she felt a kind of warmth type feeling, nothing too weird and things just felt different. She started feeling sick to her stomach, there was guaifenesen in this Tussin also, so she went to the bathroom and puked a pretty decent amount. After puking she felt loads better and felt the high coming on stronger. She wishes she could describe the high better but as its been over a year ago she has kind of forgot. All she knows is that she felt this warm relaxing body high and an urge to just lay down and relax. Eventually she kind of felt disconnected from her feelings; things that thinking about normally would have made her uncomfortable or upset didn't bother her at all. She also felt very emotionally detached from her boyfriend, whom she was texting at the time, even saying mean things to him that she normally wouldn't really think of saying. She started finding really simple things actually quite hilarious. She wanted to hear how music sounded but when she played it it sounded very machine like and I guess the best way to describe it is stiff and kind of monotonous so she turned off the music. The rest of the nigh as far as she remembers was just very mellow and she finally fell asleep around 6 am. All of a sudden she woke up in the middle of the night literally drenched in sweat and had this awful panicky feeling. Her skin felt like it was legitimately on fire and her stomach, and basically hole body hurt excruciatingly. She tried to ignore it but it was too intense so she ran downstairs and drank a lot of water until she felt cooled off and relatively normal and went back to sleep. About an hour later she woke up again and the same feelings came back but even worse this time, she can't even describe how awful the feeling was. She felt confused, burning hot, drenched, and pain was everywhere especially in the stomach but also felt this horrible dysphoric feeling. She ran to the kitchen and got some water again and gulped it down and all of a sudden she knew she had to shit. She ran to the bathroom and had lots of diarrhea and the pain, heat, and anxiety was so bad that she was moaning out of pain, which woke up her parents. She now puked all over the floor and her parents came in but she shut the door and told them she would clean it up. She had to take off all of her clothes now because of the heat. She drank water and sat on the toilet until she felt somewhat better but the feelings came back again at least one or more times. Eventually she went back to bed and it didn't happen again. When she finally woke up her pupils were huge and she was very twitchy and alert for at least another 24 hours and couldn't sleep that night.

She didn't really think too much of it because her friend was tripping with her the same night and was completely fine and decided to do it again a couple months later, this time one and a half bottles, without guaifenesen as an active ingredient. She never felt high the whole time but had a horrible stomach and headache and it was very lame. She was able to sleep that night, however the same exact pains happened again, everything I described earlier again. She drank water and crapped and puked until she was able to sleep, waking up a few more times to the same thing, this time there was no hangover the next day though except she was worried that she had done some sort of damage to her body. She was confused because her friends who have done DXM as well never experienced anything negative with it ever. She was looking up everything and could not find any similar stories or any explanation to what could have caused that awful awful incident.

She would like to know if anyone else has had any similar experiences with DXM or if anyone could possibly know what in the hell caused that agony. She really enjoyed the first DXM trip and would like to be able to experiment with it more and get to the point of seeing visuals and all the good stuff but doesn't want to risk something seriously bad happening this time that could cause major problems. She's probably just going to stick with DPH though to be on the safe side, although the two trips are nothing alike. Any comments or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

First of all diphenhydramine is WAAAYYY more dangerous than dxm will ever be. It sounds to me like a panic attack, but some of the symptoms don't fit... How late into the trip did this happen...was it about 6 hours? She could just be sensitive to dissociatives and her NMDA receptors get all messed up and precipitate immediate rebound withdrawal effects: it can happen with some drugs - for instance sedative/hypnotics, where they cause anxiety next the day in some people. Because that's what the symptoms sound like. Or, more likely, it sound's like she's reacting badly to whatever else may be in the syrup. What you could possibly try doing is get a bottom of delsym and extract the polistirex - easy to do, look online, just need a pop bottle and water - and have her take that. That would be pure dextromethorphan without any of the other bullshit.

There are stories on erowid where people talk about similar symptoms. I seriously doubt it's from the dextromethorphan though. You shouldn't fuck around with cough syrups and the like. If you do dxm, get the gel caps with just dxm hbr, or use a delsym ectxract. Drinking all of that other shit isn't healthy, and besides it's gross as fuck. How can you do it? Especially when you get the gel caps, or easily get your own dxm polistirex powder from delsym. Delsym is drinkable too; it doesn't taste bad. But I wouldn't recommend she do it, just in case. If she decides to do dextromethorphan again and give it a shot, do the delsym extract. It only takes a few hours and then you have 888mg of pure dxm powder.

That sounds like the liver excreting 'poison' - coupled with the physical and mental effect of the drug. When your organs do funny things (not good, usually) on disassoc's (especially) it often brings on anxiety pretty quick - which can lead to hypertension very easily when DXM is involved.

Did you get a very scratchy/hot/cold/prickly back/neck and throat - literally feels like you've been bitten by a snake.

I have lots of experience on this topic - so hit me up if you want me to go in to any more detail.

That sounds like the liver excreting 'poison' - coupled with the physical and mental effect of the drug. When your organs do funny things (not good, usually) on disassoc's (especially) it often brings on anxiety pretty quick - which can lead to hypertension very easily when DXM is involved.

Did you get a very scratchy/hot/cold/prickly back/neck and throat - literally feels like you've been bitten by a snake.

I have lots of experience on this topic - so hit me up if you want me to go in to any more detail.

This is good advice. DXM is going to alter perception and heighten sensitivities to things. If you're already worried about something bad happening, you could twist one little thing out of proportion and the next thing you know you're freaking out thinking you're dying. Panic attacks can warp your brain around. The dysphoria is something that would happen from a bad mental state and high anxiety. It's like a loop you get stuck in...

Gauifenesin can cause a lot of those physical symptoms you listed too. But you're saying their was none the second time... I've done large doses of dextromethorphan and get nothing but a headache as well, accompanied by all-around discomfort and malaise. Her recall of her first experience may have affected how she reacted the second time. The mind is a powerful thing. But there is absolutely no way to tell.

The best thing to do would be to go to the hospital like Speed Kind suggested. It has to be a reaction to whatever is in the syrup. She might not be able to process it. I'd stay away from those. Those aren't meant to be used recreationally. Guaifenesin makes me feel like I'm having hot flashes and causes stomach pain and vomiting. Especially when you take grams of it to get the right dxm dose. Was there anything else in the bottles? Oh, and about the pains, did she have any on her sides? Kidney issues could be involved.

Interestingly. One of the receptors that DXM and DXO hits is called the sigma receptor. The sigma receptor supposedly has hetergeneity amongst different people. Some get positive, antidepresant effects, whilst other dysphoria and discomfort (don't quote me on this, though.) And some of those effects can result from sigma activation.

When you say her whole body her excruciatingly? Was it a muscular type pain? Did she have any rigidity and stiffness or cramping? It could have been hypertonia from sigma activation as well as an extreme reaction to whatever was in the syrup. It's hard to tell. That's why you should take her to the hospital. It seems like blood work would help a lot, as there are a lot of things it could be.

But please remember, stay away from the cough syrups. Don't take anything with phenylephrine, acetaminophen, guaifenesin, doxylamine, or chlorpheniramine in it. If you're going to use a substance become familiar with it and the correct way to take safely. A lot of people have died using DXM the wrong way...

Well she has been diagnosed with General Anxiety and Social Anxiety disorders So she does have a lot of experience with Anxiety and Panic attacks, but she said that what she experienced was nothing like either one and it just occurred in the middle of sleep. She also didn't feel uncomfortable or scared the whole time, actually quite the opposite, maybe even anti-anxiety feelings. The dysphoria only happened because she had never felt this physically bad in her life and when she looked at her reflection her skin was almost white and slick with sweat, but she did wake up with a general "what the fuck is even happening" feeling.

She never went to the hospital that soon after the second time but she did have to go to the hospital about a month and a few weeks later, and about three weeks after taking 600mg of DPH. (which barley caused any effects except very mild almost not even noticeable hallucinations every time she's done it, not that that's relevant) She went to the hospital because she was having pretty bad stomach pains and heart burn for almost a week. There she got blood tested and the only thing out of the ordinary was low enzymes in the liver, which I'm not that medically knowledgeable and don't know if maybe that could have contributed to what happened? She doesn't recall any pains in her sides, but it has been a while. Also, she didn't feel stiff in the muscles, if anything her muscles felt kind of loose and burning, she says it was kind of sharp pains but not just concentrated in small spots more like patches maybe?

As for staying away from cough syrups, I've actually read a lot of things that said the opposite and that's the specific reason she didn't take the capsules. That was also quite a while ago so I'm don't remember their reasoning on that. I've thought about extracting the DXM before but I still also had hint of doubt that even with pure DXM it would happen to her again.

I'm at a loss as to what could have caused it, other than maybe some inactive ingredient she reacted badly to in the syrup. And combined with her altered perception, I think anxiety could possibly have made it more distressing and exacerbated the symptoms, but you never know. I know the first time I tried dxm I thought I was dying, and so did a lot a friends of mine the first time they took it. Panic and fear can be a common reaction to hallucinogens, especially the dissociatives. I want to pin it on the guaifenesin, as that used to give me some of the similar effects...but you seem certain there was none the second time. The dextromethorphan itself wouldn't cause those symptoms - that I can think of, based on its pharmacology, which is pretty messy and all over the place, yet none of the sites it binds to and interacts with precipitate symptoms such as those, unless there's some sort of sensitivity issue going on. I would recommend she not take dxm again just to be on the safe side.

I would recommend she not take dxm again just to be on the safe side.

This
And no DPH either, it's just a horrible and dangerous drug.

The only things I can think of is
1. Interactions with anouther drug, but that's not the case here
2. DXM is metabolized by a cytochrome protein called CYP2D6. This proteine shows a large phenotypical variability, meaning that a lot of people have some sort of genetic polymorphism, making them either a slow metabolizer (even small amounts of DXM make them trip a really long time and side-effects increase) or ultrarapid metabolizer (DXM is rapidly metabolized into dextrorphan, 3-methoxymorphinan and HYM iirc) but it doesn't sound like this either.

Maybe it has something to do with dextrorphans affinity for μ-, and κ-opioid receptors ? Or norepinephrine reuptake inhibition ?

Last edited:
It's an agonist as both opioid receptor types, though, right? Both receptors cause antinociception upon activation so I wonder about the pain part. But kappa opioid activation most certainly induces dysphoria and anxiety. So that could be part of the cause.

The NRI could definitely be a contributing factor, as activation of alpha receptors can cause pain, anxiety, and hyperhidrosis/thermoregulation issues. It could explain all of her symptoms, but I'm not sure it would cause your skin to feel on fire. Is she describing like a flushing type feeling? Because that would be histaminergic. Either way, it's probably unlikely that only one factor or receptor contributed to what she felt, as DXO is a relatively dirty drug that hits multiple sites with clinical relevance.

Go to the hospital and get checked out. That doesn't sound good.

^^^

Not really sure on how you could "not think anything of it" as you said. Anytime you're using any kind of drug (OTC or street) for recreational purposes and (1)have trouble keeping your body cool, and/or (2)notice a constant, excruciating pain - then you should be able to deduce that whatever you ingested had an adverse effect on your body.

If you use anything and can't seem to keep your body temp. down for an extended period of time, you risk neurotoxicity. Especially in a situation like the one you just described. However, anytime you're using a dissociative like DXM it throws your ability to stay calm and to recognize whether your body is at homeostasis. Especially with how easy it can be to dive off in a downward spiral of freaking tf out once it creeps into your mind that you're tripping.

As for switching over to DPH - I wouldn't suggest it. or the DXM really, but if you're going to use it recreationally just make sure your products only active ingredient is DXM. There's several list you can find online of several products that fit that criteria.

Let's start here; "120 to 130 pounds at the time of the experience"

I consider it quite...nay, very reckless for someone of that stature to down a whole bottle of ANYTHING....especially OTC drugs, for Christ's sake..they kill plenty of people, ya know.

Needless to say if you're not dead yet, you're probably in the clear. And I don't know what the hell you're thinking about doing with DPH (Benadryl? really?) but you best forget it. If you could get high on Benadryl, believe me it would be ALOT harder to get.
The only thing Benadryl is gonna do (in excess) is dry you're membranes, prolong you're QT interval (could fuck up you're heart pretty good), make you confused, disoriented, possibly angry &/or aggressive.

My advice is this; if you think you HAVE to do drugs, ya know because you're life sucks so bad at this age, go find you're local pot dealer, and buy a freaking quarter...or pay some adult to buy you some booze. I mean hell, heroin is probably safer on you're body than Benadryl and DXM...c'mon do some research at least, will ya?!
You've got one body, don't treat it like shit, and maybe you won't feel like shit.

Let's start here; "120 to 130 pounds at the time of the experience"

I consider it quite...nay, very reckless for someone of that stature to down a whole bottle of ANYTHING....especially OTC drugs, for Christ's sake..they kill plenty of people, ya know.

Needless to say if you're not dead yet, you're probably in the clear. And I don't know what the hell you're thinking about doing with DPH (Benadryl? really?) but you best forget it. If you could get high on Benadryl, believe me it would be ALOT harder to get.
The only thing Benadryl is gonna do (in excess) is dry you're membranes, prolong you're QT interval (could fuck up you're heart pretty good), make you confused, disoriented, possibly angry &/or aggressive.

My advice is this; if you think you HAVE to do drugs, ya know because you're life sucks so bad at this age, go find you're local pot dealer, and buy a freaking quarter...or pay some adult to buy you some booze. I mean hell, heroin is probably safer on you're body than Benadryl and DXM...c'mon do some research at least, will ya?!
You've got one body, don't treat it like shit, and maybe you won't feel like shit.

Okay honestly, I have no clue what you're talking about, people get high off of Benadryl all of the time. I quite enjoy the experience actually it's kinda spooky. I know, and have heard of people doing it daily, and still living. I'm not going to do that because constant abuse like that can lead to bad things happening quickly, obviously. I do it once in a blue moon and be as safe as I can with it.

Also, I never said I HAVE to do drugs, and it's not like I do drugs because "my life sucks so bad" I don't know where the fuck you're getting that from. I also may not be a scientist but I'm pretty sure herion abuse is a lot more risk taking AND addictive that diphenhydramine and DXM. Also, this is a drug forum for Christ's sake what do you expect like I'm honestly curious. If I wanted to be smoking pot I would be and I do every once in while, I'm not doing these drugs just to get high I'm doing them because I like to experience the mindset that different drugs can induce. Not all drugs have the same effect.

I was just asking if anyone could give me a reason why my body reacted to this drug the way it did after the high ended and I went to sleep, especially since after searching and searching I couldn't find any explanation for it. No need to be all condescending and so "holier-than-thou".

Okay honestly, I have no clue what you're talking about, people get high off of Benadryl all of the time. I quite enjoy the experience actually it's kinda spooky.
Imo there's a difference between feeling high and poisoning your body with a deliriant..

I also may not be a scientist but I'm pretty sure herion abuse is a lot more risk taking AND addictive that diphenhydramine and DXM.
Well, if you're talking about 100% pure pharmaceutical grade diacetylmorphine DXM and DPH are more dangerous for your body as heroin, yes it's way more addictive and an overdose kills you easily, but DXM and DPH are far more toxic for your body overall.

Last edited:
I know that these drugs are dangerous, just like most drugs are anyway... I know what the risks are before doing drugs. Also I'm not a heavy drug user anyway, the only drugs I use regularly is marijuana and alcohol, and those aren't the safest things ever. Every other drug I've used has only been used occasionally. I know someone who has had to go to the hospital because of alcohol poisoning. Drugs are drugs and you're always taking a risk no matter what drugs you use. I really don't need people talking me that what I'm doing is dangerous... But I would like to thank the people with helpful comments. I most likely won't be doing DXM again considering my body doesn't react very well to it.

Diphenhydramine does take quite a heavy toll on the heart, as others have pointed out. It's very cardiotoxic. It's not something everyone is aware, but it's something to keep in mind if you're going to use it.

I know that these drugs are dangerous, just like most drugs are anyway... I know what the risks are before doing drugs. Also I'm not a heavy drug user anyway, the only drugs I use regularly is marijuana and alcohol, and those aren't the safest things ever. Every other drug I've used has only been used occasionally. I know someone who has had to go to the hospital because of alcohol poisoning. Drugs are drugs and you're always taking a risk no matter what drugs you use. I really don't need people talking me that what I'm doing is dangerous... But I would like to thank the people with helpful comments. I most likely won't be doing DXM again considering my body doesn't react very well to it.

I hope you don't take this in a condesecnding way, as I say this to help, but you are very, very wrong. You really should do a bit more research to avoid more dangerous situations as much as possible.

But no, drugs "aren't" drugs, insofar as to say that there are massive differences between them. To even remotely equate the risk of smoking a joint with taking a crapload of DXM, as an example, would be severely misguided.

Okay honestly, I have no clue what you're talking about, people get high off of Benadryl all of the time. I quite enjoy the experience actually it's kinda spooky. I know, and have heard of people doing it daily, and still living. I'm not going to do that because constant abuse like that can lead to bad things happening quickly, obviously. I do it once in a blue moon and be as safe as I can with it.

Also, I never said I HAVE to do drugs, and it's not like I do drugs because "my life sucks so bad" I don't know where the fuck you're getting that from. I also may not be a scientist but I'm pretty sure herion abuse is a lot more risk taking AND addictive that diphenhydramine and DXM. Also, this is a drug forum for Christ's sake what do you expect like I'm honestly curious. If I wanted to be smoking pot I would be and I do every once in while, I'm not doing these drugs just to get high I'm doing them because I like to experience the mindset that different drugs can induce. Not all drugs have the same effect.

I was just asking if anyone could give me a reason why my body reacted to this drug the way it did after the high ended and I went to sleep, especially since after searching and searching I couldn't find any explanation for it. No need to be all condescending and so "holier-than-thou".

If you're willing to poison your body to trip out like that why not find some LSD or mescaline or something? I really don't think you understand how bad huge doses of benadryl and dxm syrup are for your body. And when you went to the hospital and the only thing wrong was your liver enzymes THAT MEANS YOU'RE DAMAGING YOUR LIVER. I nearly died from liver failure due to a horrible case of mononucleosis, like one of the worst they had ever seen. I decided to go to the hospital when I took a piss and it looked like Coca-Cola. I was in the hospital for a week with them constantly taking blood and checking liver enzymes until they improved. I got lucky and my liver repaired itself, but you won't be that lucky taking massive doses of cough syrup and benadryl. You seriously would be better of taking extacy or acid, shrooms.... whatever if you want to trip out.

Honestly you probably got that horrible sick feeling because your body couldn't handle all the toxins and that's it's defense mechanism as a way to get the poison out. The fact that your liver enzymes were out of whack a week later shows you how much harm you were doing. That's why when people get really drunk they end up puking. The liver can't handle all the toxins so you throw up to get rid of the alcohol in the stomach. I had kind of the same kind of symptoms you did when I experienced liver failure. Mine wasn't drug induced but it can happen the same way.