• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids DXM, marijuana, and a fairly comfortable detox

morphine-dreams

Bluelighter
Hi guys :)

I've been a lurker here for a while, but have finally decided to post because I'm on day 3 of opioid withdrawals (not the first time), but this time I used DXM to help me get through, and I feel GOOD! I didn't throw up once, I wasn't even nauseous. No insomnia other than some due to RLS, but it only lasted a few hours. No crippling anxiety or depression. No pain. No god-awful chills. None of what I typically experience during withdrawal, and this was coming off of by far my biggest opiate binge ever. Basically just felt like I caught a weird cold, and chances are I did have a cold too because my bf had one right before.

Anyway, here's some background:
Drugs I was using: poppy seed tea (so basically a bunch of alkaloids including morphine) several times a week
Kratom full spectrum tincture (this is the main one, for those not familiar, or only familiar with regular, unadulterated kratom, this is NOTHING like the aforementioned friendly kratom, it is concentrated, enhanced with some semi-synthetic alkaloids that there isn't a whole lot of info on, and it's STRONG. I used to use kratom daily and it wouldn't even give me much a buzz unless I ate enough to get nauseous, but this stuff had my nodding. It's also extremely physically addictive. Like, I got hooked after a 4 day binge the first time around. I've never tried heroin but have some experience with oxycodone and I'd say they're similar)

I'd been using the tea for a month or two, and the tincture for 2 weeks straight. So yeah, I'm not a long term addict or anything, but by the end of those 2 weeks I was getting VERY sick if I didn't redose every 2 hours, so it's safe to say I was in for some hellish wd's, especially given that a 4 day binge back when I wasn't even using the tea gave me some bad wd's.

Sorry this is so long, I'll get to the point now. 2 hours after taking my last dose, I took 120mg of dxm, didn't want to do recreational doses because I was addicted to dxm in the past, the irony. Anyway, I didn't really feel any withdrawal symptoms at all. I didn't really enjoy the dxm either though, maybe due to wd's, maybe due to the tolerance I built up in the past. It wasn't fun, but I wasn't in hell. Woke up feeling great, though that slowly deteriorated.

t+12 hours: I started to feel the sickness kick in pretty bad, so I took another 60mg of dxm. This sucked because I didn't get any remotely fun effects from the dxm, and all of the comedown, but it did alleviate my withdrawal symptoms. Then I smoked some MJ to alleviate to dxm comedown and I actually felt good! Didn't take any more dxm because I really hate the jaw pain from clenching it all the time.

t+24 hours: By far the worst part of wd's, and it really wasn't that bad. RLS, and some chills, depression, and anxiety, but nothing I couldn't handle. Weed helped a LOT with the depression and anxiety and the RLS only lasted for like 4 hours anyway.

t+36 hours: Feeling pretty good, no more dxm, just weed. Good enough to drive an hour to my bf's house.

t+48 hours: 90% back to myself, definitely no more acute withdrawal symptoms. I just don't feel as comfortable as I do when I'm 100%, if you know what I mean.

Now I'm on day 3 and feel pretty good, better by the hour and almost back to myself. I can't believe how easily I was able to withdraw from multiple opioids when wd's have been hellish for me in the past.

In short, NO gastrointestinal issues, mild mood issues, no serious chills (and those are usually the absolute worst for me), really nothing to speak of except the RLS, which was short lived anyway.

DXM is what I believe was responsible in actually stopping withdrawal symptoms, but weed is what made the experience overall so much more pleasant. Don't underestimate the power of good ol' cannabis.

The reason I'm posting this is obviously to help other addicts, but if anyone could chime in as to why dxm might have such an effect, it would be much appreciated. DXM is a pretty fascinating drug in general, but the effects it seems to have on opioid withdrawal are nothing short of amazing.

TL;DR- DXM and weed got me off multiple opioids with minimal discomfort

Oh yes, DXM has given many people relief from opiate withdrawals, including myself. Ketamine is also known to work very well in reversing tolerance, or well prevent it from increasing, and DXM works on the same receptors. It deactivates your central nervous system's glial cells that are responsible for tolerance to opiates/opiods in the brain.

When I was in the midst of stopping heroin use I would always use first plateau doses of DXM to relieve me of half of my withdrawal symptoms and in a way it kept me from wanting more of the H.

However, because opiate tolerance can come back so quickly, don't take another dose without letting the DXM take effect on your CNS first.

Just be sure not to take the DXM too often, if you're not trying to get into it like that again, taking the same doses repeatedly can raise your tolerance for that. Btw, 120mg IS a recreational dose, just in the low first plateau range so you probably didn't notice too many recreational effects. Glad to see DXM has helped another opiate user! Cannabis has always helped as well :)

Great to hear, another tool to keep in the toolbox for when that day eventually comes! Thx op!

Thanks, am going to try that today as I lost 2 weeks script of Perc and Perc ER at a Christmas party (I think somebody took them from my purse) and now have NOTHING till my next doctor appointment. This is gonna hurt, but maybe it won't be too bad with the DXM.
I also have neurontin, clonidine and a script for RLS here somewhere.

I take them as prescribed, but I know the tolerance is there and I've been on them for forever.