• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants DXM & Adderall Tolerance Reversal Questions

PsychonautRyan

Bluelighter
So a few months ago, I took a tolerance break from Adderall, and for two or three weeks, I took 150 mg. of DXM daily (75 mg. in two daily doses), being 50 kg, these are first-plateau dosages spread throughout the day, seeing as how this was a threshold first-plateau dose, it would be stimulating at that range, and would alleviate the lethargy from Adderall withdrawal. When I took 15 mg. of Adderall for the first time since then, I was back to that first high: jaw grinding, moderate euphoria, incredible focus and awesome motivation. However, I used the same system for over two weeks, however, I was inconsistent these last few days, and forgot to take it. So when I took 30 mg. for work, I barely felt anything much of an energy boost. Anyway, I'm wondering if the abstinence from DXM, as an NMDA antagonist, would've triggered my brain to re-downregulate my dopamine receptors to compensate, and I'd be almost back down to baseline (having a high Adderall tolerance)? In which case, I should dose DXM up until the day I plan to take Adderall for future-reference. Also, for NMDA antagonism to upregulate dopamine, is there an upper limit for the DXM dosage, in which no higher dosage of DXM will create more dopamine receptors, on most threads, 60 mg./day seems like the most common recommendation, but I read a report of taking 100 mg/day for a week and the guy reported his tolerance being "well-below baseline", and sometimes of people going on dissociative DXM trips (a couple hundred milligrams) the night before taking Adderall.

Is there any threshold for how much DXM per week can cause lasting cognitive impairment? Without DXM though, how do you gauge and ascertain the dosage you need to take in order to return to previous effects? Or is it just a stab in the dark with trial-and-error?

Feel free to move this to Advanced Drug Discussion considering the neurochemistry/psychopharmacology subject matter.

hey there.

As far as I know NMDA antagonists do not actually upregulate the sensitivity or the number of dopamine receptors. It is my understanding that NMDA antagonists can only be effective if they're taken before/during the time period that tolerance would be developing, not after the tolerance has developed. As they are only effective at preventing/slowing down tolerance, not diminishing it.
Also I haven't found anything saying that DXM specifically upregulates dopamine receptors, it is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor and therefor I believe any upregulating/downregulating would be more concentrated towards serotonin receptors.

IMO your experience when your tolerance was reduced was either solely caused by your tolerance break or placebo effect.

Ofcourse I'm no expert and I may even be completely wrong. I would really appreciate someone with more knowledge jumping in here.

Also, if you can find any documentation or studies that support your experience/belief Id love to read them.

-p

Actually, compared to when I took a tolerance break just as long without dosing DXM, in which I didn't notice much of a difference, DXM made a huge impact on reversing my tolerance. In both clinical trials with MK-801, and general NMDA antagonists, have been shown to upregulate (increase the number of) dopamine receptors, whereas drugs with addictive potential, such as opiates, (meth)amphetamines, nicotine, alcohol and cocaine operate primarily upon the mesolimbic pathway (reward system) of the brain, and the internal mechanisms of the brain compensate by downregulating (decrease the number of) dopamine receptors, so at varying dosages and antagonist affinities it could potentially impede, block or even reverse the development of tolerance, and when abstaining, it accelerates the reconstruction of dopamine receptors.

3 years late to this lol oh well
I'm Doing a study on myself involving DXM in the forum of [Non drowsy long lasting Tussin
Active ingredients
Dextromethorphan HBr
My dose 30Ml
DXM:75mg] Twice daily
The purpose is to Slow down "Tolerance " to M-AMPHETAMINE and possible reduction
I'm also supplementing Magnesium which Meth also depletes and which is a mild NMDA Antagonist