• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids during your life,which med has given you the best pain relief

milagro

Bluelighter
This probably belongs in the Pain Management thread but it can be moved if need be. I wanted as many replies as possible. Replies in the pain thread get buried by other entries really quickly.

I have been in pain management for many years and have been on and off just about every opiate/oid out there. They were all legal so I have not used heroin but I want it included with Over the Counter meds in this survey.

I was taking my daily dose that includes a small amount of oxycontin. I thought back to the time I used it before it was reformulated and how well it worked for me. I have never taken any oral medication that worked as well and as quickly as the old OC formula.

I have had hospitalizations and was given 10? mg of morphine through me IV. It blew away all of the meds I have ever taken but did not give me the "buzz" I often get from opiates. I was curious what other's experiences with medications including H (taken for pain) have been and what has worked best?

Well I would say I.V Morpine suspended relesae after surgery....never been so doped up and numb in my life thats just my 2 cents though

Also H is notoriously cut so if if you have legit pain i would pursue morphine is possible but dont live in pain

tbh kratom is amazing at relieving my chronic back pain..ive taken heroin, oxycontin, nubain, tramadol etc etc...kratom relieves my pain better than those believe it or not..

Morphine is going to be the "gold standard" but also has many limitations and drawbacks. Depending on severity of pain, I would look into low dose buprenorphine. You'll probably have to source it illegally, but I like it for a number of reasons - it is very potent, so you can probably get away with very small doses, it lasts a long time, it isn't a full agonist, and it takes longer to become habituated to (you still can, and the withdrawal syndrome I hear is very painful, but that's after a very long time using it).

There's obviously also oxy, dilaudid, etc. I use low-dose bupe for pain management though (herniated disc @ L5) and I'm very happy with it.

Edit: It also has anti-depressant and anxiolytic properties, so I "get three birds stoned at once", so to speak.

IV & subcut morphine in hospital. Oral oxycontin and oxycodone. Was not a cpp when i tried heroin a handful of times - it may have been a better pain killer for all i know but I feel that IV/subcut morphine to be a superior drug.
If i could choose i would take oxy in the morning for the stimulating effects to help motivate me and then morphine in the evening to take advantage of the sedation for sleep.

Ive taken all these drugs (used the ones that you can through IV) oxycontin, oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine, dilaudid, tramadol, suboxone, heroin, and literally out of every single one of those drugs kratom has completely taken away all my pain it works absolute wonders for pain man just as belfort mentioned above its really true

300mg morphine IV (three kadian 100mg) right to the neck. I stood up and couldnt catch my breath for a second. It felt like a million little points of light shooting out of my body, but the lights created pleasure. I have a jacked up knee. and I had hyperextended my ankle. I stood up and started walking around because the pain was gone....which come to think of it only did more damage to my ankle.

The gold standard for me is definitely morphine....also it takes away emotional pain as well.

I'm told I'm enigma. Translated: I'm a hard case of CP that is nearly impossible to "manage". Long story (search DixiChik) if you choose.

The pain meds I've tried are Fentanyl patch (worked in 2005, but WDs day 3) (tried again this year, matrix no gel didn't absorb)
MS Contin (too constipating) Dilaudid (too sedating) Oxycodone (current, but not happy with it)

I recently tried Kratom for not only pain, but mood lift. My pain is so debilitating, I have suicidal depression. I think it has potential, but still have to work through GI issues.

I'd like to try Cannabis, but not smoke. I don't want cravings or sedation.

NO DOUBT, post-surgical IV admin of Morphine and/or injection in ER for fractured ribs gave immediate relief.

I have YET to find anything to "manage" my pain. My surgically altered stomach does not absorb, so I'm screwed. I, like you, am interested in hearing others' suggestions, especially to overcome the absorption issues. No one should have to exist in gut wrenching pain.

I hope you find what works for you!

That is rough going with the absorption problems in your stomach. I have tried every drug mentioned in the replies except Kratom and I keep hearing positive things about it but do not know where to get it.

I use cannabis for sleep and muscle spasms as it works wonders but it does nothing for the crippling pain I get. NOTHING works when I have a flare up. 3 bad discs and arthritis of the facets have ruined the latter half of my life. I have other ailments but that is the main problem. Can barely stand up.

The only med that ever broke that much pain was the IV morphine and it seems that the consensus here is that IV morphine is the best. I would never use it unless in a hospital. Oral morphine does nothing for me possibly due to the poor BA which is why I went with oxy. It has one of the best oral Bioavailablilities of any med.

I also have severe stomach problems from years of Nsaid use prior to finding pain management. I curse the dependence but when I am hurting I don't give a damn. I don't have a great deal of time left in this body anyway. I certainly wish I had the old OC formula of oxycontin because it was incredibly effective and obviously addictive.

I don't think I mentioned Toradol and Voltaren 75 mg...both anti-inflammatory meds. I, like you, cannot tolerate extended use of either due to GI. However, both are VERY helpful with the many issues I deal with in my spine/joints and belly.

Have you tried spinal injections with fluoroscopy? Those help ease back/neck pain for many. They did little for me, but may be worth your trying? I have BOB pain in both knees, too, which need TKR. I can't endure more surgery, so I suffer through Synvisc One injections a couple of times per year. If not for those, I couldn't remain upright.

I'm sorry for your pain. Can you tell me why you "don't have a great deal of time left", if not too personal. I personally am feeling more every day of "for better or forget it". I, too would like to try the ER Oxy rather than the Oxycodone I'm currently taking (don't like at all). My PM thinks the abuse-proofing structure of pills would not absorb, just pass through and out. They are expensive, too, which is yet another brick wall for me. Kratom is legal and can be ordered online.

I had a very invasive kidney stone operation in ~2012 and woke up in post op screaming in pain. We're talking a true 10/10, as in, if I had a button in my hand to press that would end my life, I'd have pressed it in a heartbeat. I don't think I'll ever experience pain like that ever again in my life.

After coming round and hearing my scream, I was jabbed in the butt with 10mg IM Morphine - presumably because that was the very quickest ROA.

After 3 minutes of constantly yelling and screaming to the top of my lungs, they gave me a 20mg IV injection through my cannula.

I was literally screaming and crying so much after that injection, it didn't take the edge off at all and I think the post op's knew that - so they called for my anaesthetist. He ran back in the room, they quickly briefed him and he just said 'Ketamine, IV, as quick as you can please'. At this point I just wanted to die, I couldn't bare the pain any longer, it was beyond description. Within about 10 seconds of the Ketamine being IV'd the pain completely subsided and I managed to get my breath back.

I have no idea how much Ketamine they IV'd but I went on one hell of a ride with that, it was beautiful. Once my kidney had stopped going into spasm and the Ketamine wore off I was put on one of them IV Morphine Delivery Machines, but to be honest, the Ketamine had completely knocked my socks off and I didn't really need much Morphine.

Severe fibromyalgia has given me quite a bit of familiarity with pain management.

Opiates:
IV Morphine - I've had it on five occasions, all in the ER for out-of-control pain. Completely overwhelming. I, too, would never use it unless in a hospital.
Percocet - The most effective of the oral pain meds I've tried.
Vicodin - Ineffective. All five of my ER visits were when I was being prescribed Vicodin, which was not controlling my pain at all.

Muscle Relaxers:
Carisoprodol (Soma) - I first got a prescription for it when a mild car accident set off a terrible, month-long flare that Percocet couldn't control. Effective, but not in a way that I like. It's super strong, the Everclear of muscle relaxers, and it dries out my throat to a terrible degree (and since I sing professionally, this is not good at all). My current doctors don't believe in prescribing it, and I don't miss it one bit.
Tizanidine - Mildly effective, but I couldn't get a boner while taking it.
Baclofen - Was just prescribed this today, and so far it's been more effective than Tizanidine and without the sexual side effects, but I need to take it for longer to render a verdict.
Cyclobenzaprine - I felt absolutely nothing from this.

Prescription Pain Cream:
Ketroprofen, Baclofen & Lidocaine - This was a custom compound from a specialty pharmacy that I received a week ago, and I had an allergic reaction to it (it made my throat swell). Since I'm tolerating the oral Baclofen (so far), it was either the Ketroprofen or the Lidocaine that I reacted to. Disappointing, since I got some decent pain relief from it, certainly way more than any OTC cream.

NSAIDs:
Acetaminophen - Contained in both Percocet and Vicodin, but I don't credit it with any real pain relief.
Ibuprofen - Only effective in 800mg doses, and even then not very much.
Naproxen - Awful. Nonexistent pain relief, terrible stomach inflammation.
Meloxicam (Mobic) - The best of the NSAIDs I've tried, though that's still not saying very much. Only effective when combined with something else.

Other Drugs:
Cannabis - Effective on the lower levels of pain, but not effective against strong flares. Since medical cannabis isn't approved yet in my state, I'm not using it anymore so that I can stay in good standing with my pain management docs.
Duloxetine (Cymbalta) - Very effective. My pain is always worst in my left arm, but Cymbalta has lessened my pain in my right arm and in my legs. Prior to Cymbalta, my pain was equally strong in all of my limbs. It hasn't made a dent in my left arm pain, and doesn't prevent strong flares, but has given me improvement in my quality of life.
Gabapentin (Neurontin) - Had a severe allergic reaction that falls under the category of "extreme emotional distress," but that's kind of soft-selling it. Almost immediately, it made me feel like I did when I was at the tail end of my first major depressive episode, when I was having very strange physical hallucinations (unexplained heat in my chest, feeling like my insides were melting away).

Last edited:
morphine, and dilaudid probably the best for pain releif that ive had, dilaudid being really good on pain releif but still having a clear head so not overwhelming, in the sense that you can get stuff done because your head is still able to think not a super brain fog, but still alot of pain relief.

Does cannabis actually offer pain relief?

Does Ibuprofen really help your pain, sekio? I need anti-inflammatory no doubt, but Ibuprofen isn't enough. As I stated above, Toradol and Voltaren 75 mg offer relief for extreme internal inflammation. I just can't take them on a regular basis/long term.

I'm still trying to figure out the Oxycodone, too. Don't know if I'm a freak or something, but rebound pain sucks, which seems fertile ground for taking more.

F&W...Your gurney meds remind me of a recent trip to ER. I was bent double with kidney/flank pain. I knew it was infected urine due to bladder. I ask for IV PUSH of Rocephin (antibiotic)...no pain meds. The doctor said my urine was clear.

He wouldn't order Rocephin. Why? Because it would be mal-practice to prescribe antibiotic for no reason. I insisted on culture for UTI, based on my history of such. They bitched and moaned, but ordered culture. I told them I've had UTIs go septic twice. Didn't matter, sent away to check for results through my then GP. By 2 a.m. I was back at the ER, culture positive. The doctor on call ordered Rocephin IV push...Go figure, I know my own fucking body better than strangers do...duh?!

It's a crying shame that people in legitimate, documented medical history of trauma/disease are not taken seriously. Those who abuse have made it nearly impossible for those who play by the rules as CPs, to get adequate treatment.

I don't expect to be pain free. But I don't need the added pain in the ass of doctors who don't listen and don't care. I'm not getting what I need to function in day to day life. And I simply must function, upright, cognizant and productive.

Will this EVER BE POSSIBLE for me with my mal-absorption issues, partnered with potential obstruction of colon.

If this is all there is for me...I just don't wanna wake up tomorrow, or the day after. Game over. I'm tired of struggling through this pain with no hope in sight.

cannabis can offer incredible pain relief. I would have gone with that for chronic pain but I have OCD and it causes the symptoms to go crazy when i ingest it.