• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe duration of precipitated withdrawal in your experience?

enoughorangejuice?

Bluelighter
Have you ever taken Suboxone/Subutex sooner than 24 hours after your last full-agonist dose?

If yes, how soon?

If you felt precipitated withdrawals how long did they last, how intense were they and did the Suboxone take effect after the precipitated withdrawals ended?

IME if i took suboxone sooner than 8-12 hours after my last dose of heroin/oxycodone i experienced precipitated withdrawals but ONLY for 45-60 minutes and then they wore off and the effects of the suboxone took over. and IME i'd rather go through 45-60 minutes of w/d than wait 12-24 hours to finally take suboxone.

i was wondering if i'm unusual in this respect, that waiting 8-12 hours is usually enough to avoid ANY precipitated withdrawals, and if i do experience them they only last 45-60 minutes and then the bupe takes effect.

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. Particularly if anyone has switched from methadone to Suboxone and went into precipitated withdrawals, how long did they last and did they get relief from the bupe once they ended?

I have been terrified of trying a switch from methadone to Suboxone because my doctor says I should stop taking methadone for at least 4 days in order to prevent precip WDs. I would rather get precip WDs for an hour than have regular WDs for 4 days+.

I can speak from experience on this one. I'm currently on subutex and have been on and off for 2 years... ALL the while taking heroin as well.. It's like most days I will have .5 of sub first thing.. just enough to not be sick (I should mention that I have a full time job and 2 others as well) but am able to have a bag literally whenever I want one and feel nice.. However- If ever I have a binge on H for a few days, which happens often- depending on finances, going back onto subs is a piece of piss for me, and I never have more than 4mg of sub first after a binge. I wonder whether it's because I have had subs in my system for so long, and they have a tremendous half life that I'm able to to and fro so simply without ANY negatives.. even once, I had a bag that seemed to do nothing for me at all (first thing instead of sub) others said the gear was spot on.. but I just went right ahead and did my sub half hour afterwards and was fine. There is a fabulous page that helped me when i decided to go onto subs i will paste the link for you it's easy reading and gives great info..

http://recoveringaddict.hubpages.co...se-of-Methadone--Oxycontin--Heroin--Oxycodone

Anyway in answer to your question I have been lucky enough to NOT experience pw/ds and I have taken bupe as little as 6 hours after heroin. Interestingly though, as I tend to research everything.. the majority of information I have read about precipitated withdrawals is that they are irreversable and only time will help. I'm unable to comment on this though you say yours last only 45-60 minutes. Interesting.

Last edited:
They never last very long for me... I can usually take suboxone and be without P/W's in like 12 hours or so.. sometimes longer. But if for whatever reason I do get thrown into withdrawal for taking it too soon, it usually only lasts for about half hour for me. Sometimes less.

They never last very long for me... I can usually take suboxone and be without P/W's in like 12 hours or so.. sometimes longer. But if for whatever reason I do get thrown into withdrawal for taking it too soon, it usually only lasts for about half hour for me. Sometimes less.

And it's not the worst half hour of your life, right? It's not like you popped a 50mg naltrexone.

I've taking heroin/oxy and 6-8 hours later started going thru beginning w/d stages and only had subs on me and dosed with it and sometimes never had any precipitated w/ds... however a few times i dosed like 4 hours after my last full agonist dose and had the precipitated w/ds but it only lasted about 40-60 mins and wasn't that bad...

This is one aspect of Suboxone that I rarely hear being discussed... the duration/severity of precipitated withdrawals when Suboxone is taken < 24 hours after the last full-agonist dose.

I've had more than one doctor say that when switching from methadone to Suboxone one should wait 4-8 days in between to safely avoid the risk of precipitated WDs. No way in hell am I doing that so so far I've just avoided switching to Subs. People have warned that the precipitated WDs that can occur are the worst thing imaginable and will last for a very long time, but when I've asked these people what exactly happened to them they admit they don't know this from personal experience, just a friend of a friend. So that makes me skeptical. I would like to hear more Bluelighters' experiences. If it's truly just for an hour and not potentially lethal or 1000 times worse than regular WDs then I think I could handle that.

It lasts a half hour tops. But it is horrible Happend once to me personally.

I usually wait about 12-16 hours after using heroin before dosing subs. The pwds usually last about 30-90 minutes, then I start to feel better. It does take about 3-4 days to get my body used to the subs though. I never really feel "normal", and can usually only sleep a couple hours a night. I know this is an old thread. Just adding my experience bc i just went through it last night.

I would really like to see more inputs to this thread. This is a subject I have been scouring the internet for, and I thought I'd literally opened every link I possibly could. I'm so glad I found this!! I am having a terrible time going the "required" 24 hours to take a first dose of suboxone, and I'm stuck in a cycle of continuously trying to. It seems to me if I manage to make it about 12 hours I might experience some PWD, but they won't last much longer than an hour or so? Why is there so much crap out there saying if you end up with PWD you are trapped in hell for up to 48 hours and warning not to take any more sub in that time? -.-

I?ve definitely been in REAL PW?s, and it is pure hell. I firmly believe that anyone that downplays the severity, has never truly experienced it. Anyone that would rather go through it, as opposed to waiting 24hrs to dose, has never truly experienced it. That?s a good thing, I don?t wish it on my worst enemy. The first time I went through it, I dosed a sub like 4 hours after my last shot. And I had a BIG habit. It was back in 2007, so I had no real data to go off, just word of mouth. It was hell, and lasted at least 8 hrs, until I went and scored more H. The second time, I injected a Sub, and as soon as I pushed the plunger down, I felt ice coursing through my veins, followed by the most intense WD imaginable. I couldn?t take it, went and scored, and it took an entire bundle of Philly dope just to get me right, not high, just well. The Naloxone in Subs doesn?t even enter your system, if taken sublingual, it?s the Bupe itself that puts you into PW?s. It?s only when you shoot Subs, does the Naloxone become activated, and if you have a serious habit, it is HELL. And it?s sure as shit longer than an hour. Another time I got PW?s was when I got the Vivitrol shot, and used right up till the day I got it, but that was just stupid, I knew better. Once you REALLY experience PW?s, which most of you haven?t, thank god, you?ll have no problem waiting 24 hrs to dose. I think most of you are mistaking the gross feeling that always comes when switching from H to subs, as PW?s. REAL PW are a nightmare. Bottom line, if you would rather wait go through PW, than wait 24hrs, you either have no habit, or have never experienced PW.

I?ve experienced both way early precipated withdrawals that lasted half a day. And that is a nightmare to go through.

And I?ve also experienced short 45-65 min PWDs.

back in the day, I normally could start a sub dose approx 12 hours after last dose of oxy and be fine. As dose increased I had to wait longer. I think the severity of PWDs depends on the strength of your DOC and it?s half life.

Some of the fake Oxys out there require nearly 18-24 hours from me and I?ll still experience minor discomfort such as RLs for a few hours in the night. I waited 12 hours on the fake oxys before sub and was in terrible wds for like 8 hours since fent and sub are fighting for the same space. On occasion when I?ve waited 18 hours and dosed sub during the day it?s minor discomfort for 30-60 minutes that I?ve somehow usually been able to sleep through a couple times

I?ve also heard subs lose their effectiveness the more times you reintroduce them to yourself when you?re trying to get off. Idk if that has an effect or not if you switch back and forth like some do as a means to coast in between regular dosage.

I've been taking subs for a long time off and on. I just went and am still going through precipitated withdrawal. In the years I've been using this is only the second time I've done this to myself. It is God awful. I snorted 2mg of sub yesterday afternoon and within 5 minutes regretted it. Instant shits, profuse sweating, dizzy, hot cold flashes. You know all the normal withdrawal symptoms just intense and instantaneous. I took more and more sub like and idiot and just wasted a bunch of it. NOTHING helps precipitated withdrawal. I took so much sub I don't even think any opiate could break through. This time is different than last time I went through this crap. Last time it lasted about 12 hours and then I was ok. I was able to sleep that night as I put myself in pw at like 8am. Well yesterday I took the sub at 10:30 am and started the precipitated withdrawal, I tossed and turned and sweated my ass off all night and I still feel like shit although not as bad and it's 3:45 the next day. It feels like it's never going to end. I was able to work today but not easily. More willpower and mind over matter because I really had no choice. I feel like complete crap. Nose running, pupils still dilated, yawning, sneezing, stomach still messed up, chills and sweating. Why the hell won't it stop lol I'm going on 29 hours since the onset of precipitated withdrawal... I did use super heavily the last 2 weeks. Taking 6+ hydro 120s and 2-4 Roxy 30s every day. My guess it's the hydro 120s causing it to be so bad. They are time released but I peel them and chew them up. FML this just needs to end. After work I'm going to go get some more and hopefully it's not a waste because I took 4mg of sub today and probably like 12 yesterday...

Update if anyone stumbles back across this thread. After work I was still feeling like shit and picked up 3 hydro 120s and 5 Roxy 30s. I took 1 hydro and all 5 30s. I feel MUCH better. It's definitely a waste of money though because of the super high dose I had to take to over throw the bupe. I didn't clarify in the last post but 2 days prior to taking the sub I took 5 hydro 120s and then the next day I took 5 Roxy 30s but no hydros. I took the last Roxy at 5pm. I took the sub at 10:30 in the morning the next day. I'm not kidding within minutes I was in SEVERE debilitating withdrawal. Came very close to going to the ER. I couldn't breathe my heart rate and blood pressure were out of control. I waited 17-18 hours after my last dose of Roxy before I took the sub. I was feeling withdrawal symptoms but apparently not enough. I've never experienced precipitated withdrawal this intense for this duration of time. It just wouldn't stop. That's why I took the 5 Roxy 30 and 1 hydro 120. I should feel pretty high taking that much but all I feel is normal. So a HUGE waste of money. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. I'm seriously considering checking myself into rehab. I'm needing my life up so bad. If my fiance finds out what I've been doing I could lose everything. He would never understand and never trust me again. I relapsed on opiates probabl about a year ago after 5 years completely sober. I am seriously disappointed in myself. I need to get it together. I've been taking subs mostly and my fiance knows about that. I need to come clean with him so he can monitor my spending and keep me from binging. I need to just get back on subs completely and then wean off again. I'm seriously screwing my life up and my job...