• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids dry mouth with Oxycodone?

TPfisher83

Greenlighter
I've used oxy products like percs, roxis, oxycontin, for the better part of 20 years. Up until about the last 2 months or so I can't recall ever getting dry mouth at all. But since I've been taking the Perc 7.5/325's made by Watson ( yes I did get them prescribed for a legitimate medical reason) I've been getting really bad cottonmouth. It's definitely very annoying and I feel like it might be from something else. I'm currently taking the antibiotic Levaquin too so I'm wondering if it the dry mouth might really be from the combo of oxy and that. Whatever the case may be for me, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced severe dry mouth from the use of any Oxycodone product?

I get dry mouth with opaites a lot actually, more so with hydrocodone than I ever noticed with oxycodone, but I'm not always really paying attention. Happens with heroin too sometimes. I'm usually always sipping something though.

Oh yea, any of those opiates can cause serious dry mouth. I carry a bottle of soda or water with me 24/7. Also, having a dry mouth can cause some real dental problems. Your teeth need to be kept moist as much as possible. For that very reason, I've lost almost every tooth on the right side of my mouth and I have a few that need pulling on the left side, but I'm a hold-out at this time. I'm seriously afraid I won't have enough teeth left to be able to chew food properly. That is a huge fear of mine! So, the answer is a resounding Yes! Opiates most definitely cause dry mouth, so please do what you can to keep your mouth from being dry all the time.

Oh yea, any of those opiates can cause serious dry mouth. I carry a bottle of soda or water with me 24/7. Also, having a dry mouth can cause some real dental problems. Your teeth need to be kept moist as much as possible. For that very reason, I've lost almost every tooth on the right side of my mouth and I have a few that need pulling on the left side, but I'm a hold-out at this time. I'm seriously afraid I won't have enough teeth left to be able to chew food properly. That is a huge fear of mine! So, the answer is a resounding Yes! Opiates most definitely cause dry mouth, so please do what you can to keep your mouth from being dry all the time.

Man, I guess I'm actually lucky this didn't start happening much earlier. I used street dope for almost 20 yrs and my dentist says I've got excellent teeth. I asked my pharmacist, whom I trust greatly, if he had any suggestions on what to do to combat the dry mouth other than quitting the pain meds and he suggested these ACT dry mouth lozenges for while I'm out and about and a biotene mouthwash to use at home. He said they both have a product called Xylitol in them which is the wetting agent. The other positive of the Xylitol is that it's extremely low in sugar which is important to me because I'm what my dr calls a borderline diabetic.

Coming off the pain meds isn't an option at this time because I'm in the presurgical phase of a very painful medical condition. It's pretty graphic so I won't get into the details but the quickest i could even get in for a pre-surgical consult isn't until late november. So my GP sent me to a pain mgmt doctor to fill the gap between now and when I see the surgeon and can get scripts from her. My GP has always been up front that he doesn't like to prescribe opioids on a "long term" basis, which is fine with me because he makes sure his patients get what they need from one very good pain mgmt practice.

I just want to add one thing I thought of while I was rereading this thread, my mind kept going to the bad teeth/meth mouth equation. Mind you, i don't have good teeth and have lost a few along the way but I would never be accused of being a meth head. The rot that drug causes to teeth is absolutely horrifying! I just wanted to add that little tidbit to the mix.

drink water (also good for constipation), chew gum and brush 3 times a day. read up on oral hygiene, there are some not-so-obvious tips like not brushing your teeth right after eating sugary food, diet soda (even soda water) is bad for ya ivories as the CO2 mixes with the water in the soda to make carboxylic acid etc. etc.

I get dry mouth with most opiates, including oxycodone. Whenever i take my methadone, i know its about to kick in when my mouth gets dry haha. Anyways, I was recently prescribed a antibiotic (Bactrim) for when I got a staph infection in a 3rd degree burn I recieved about a month ago, and the doctor specifically told me to drink alot of water while taking it because it can cause slight dehydration. If you normally dont experience dry mouth with opiates and just noticed it after taking the antibiotics I would say it is defenitly the antibiotics, and possibly the opiates combined with the antibiotics that is making your mouth so dry. What i do to make sure im drinking enough water is fill a gallon jug (old milk container) up with water and let it cool in my fridge when im not drinking out of it, but try to drink at least half of it a day, This will also show you how much water your drinking in a day so you can guage if you need to drink more or not. A little side note, if you drink water right before a meal, it will jump start your metabolism, that way you can digest the food better because your bodys already speeding up your metabolism.
-nayRoxy