Drum & Bass Megathread Part II v. What's an Amen Break?

I've been listening to some old classics lately. I don't even know what's good in the genre anymore, but late 90s to mid 2000's, man... I'm on that shit.

^ yup. there was so much great L around that time too, and the dnb of that time was the soundtrack to countless trips, holds a special place in my heart.

2001, fuck wit it

Accidental Heroes where the shit! Sonic & Silver. Man... The Stars Our Destination was such a killer album.

But you're right, there was so much good shit coming out left and right. My buddy and I used to spend hours on Napster and Kazaa just searching for all the newest shit. Then Limewire came around and it had a heavy electronic community, so we started finding so much shit. We were serious heads back in those days. We were burning several compilations every couple days then we'd roadie for hours just listening to all the new shit we had. It always felt so rewarding to hear the newest dubplate, or find whatever the big bangers were at the time. I always liked the kinda darker, melodic, kinda trance influenced shit, like Concord Dawn, Ill Skillz, Jon B (as corny as he was sometimes), but was stoked when Evol Intent came along because they were so hard, but had that glitchy element that I loved as a big fan of IDM/Breakcore type shit.

I also loved some of those club anthem jams like these wonderful tracks!

Hell yeah, man. Used to crush that P2P shit. Found so much quality music. Like, my buddy and me were always up on the newest shit, it was just a matter of how quickly it was available on P2P sites.

I'll have to check out that new John B shit. I thought I read somewhere that he released something, but I never really looked into it. But yeah cheesy shit was just so good. He was a good producer, regardless of what anyone says. He was just more of a trance/pop music influence, but he did it well.

And I'm sure you've heard those jams I posted. They were absolutely HUGE when they were released. That Barcelona track may not have been AS widely known unless you were into D.Kay, but man... D.Kay was the absolute shit when he hit the scene. For the longest time, I swear everything he was involved with was solid gold. D.Kay & Raw.Full was also Ill Skillz, who I loved the shit out of and then D.Kay & Epsilon had a lot of solid tunes too. That would have been right around the time Concord Dawn was getting a ton of exposure for "Morning Light."

I'll have to dig up some of my old lists and mixes and shit, there's so many tunes that I probably forgot about. It was just total overload at the time. Loved it, but I don't know that I could ever recall everything ha! :D

Can't say I've ever heard Congo Natty. I just brought some stuff up on YouTube. It's not my cup of tea necessarily, but I can understand the appeal. It's a little too ragga sounding for me. I typically like the darker and harder stuff, myself.

That's definitely something I love about DnB though. It varies SO MUCH from subgenre to subgenre. There's something in it for almost everyone if they're willing to explore.

^ a raging storm of dnb, that track ^ is .

nah, i haven't bought vinyl in the longest tbh. in fact i can't recall when my last purchase that wasn't on bandcamp, was... /me shrugs.

i will always check for what seba releases.

^ a raging storm of dnb, that track ^ is .

nah, i haven't bought vinyl in the longest tbh. in fact i can't recall when my last purchase that wasn't on bandcamp, was... /me shrugs.

i will always check for what seba releases.

Ok this is badass. Im trying guys to fit this genre in my ears. The fuck is next? Brostep? :)

this is next bro! prepare... heavy af fuckin that quakin sub yhaaaaaaas

and some shit that is drippin with the same sauce. @yy 2:20 <3