Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drugs in Japan

zer0502

Bluelighter
I'll be going to Japan this summer and I was wondering if anyone had any info regarding legal research chems and the like that are legal in Japan. I haven't had much luck in my searching, so any info or personal experience stories will be appreciated.

I don't have any documented proof for what i'm about to say, only anecdotal evidence but from what I gathered research chemicals were in fact still legal in Japan. It'd probably be a good idea to suss out the situation when you're over there first though - maybe just check out a few headshops and what not.

Have been having a sniff about myself, since I'm also heading there this summer. Here's what I have ascertained:

- Mushies: now illegal (were legal when I was last there in '98 )
- RC's: being hammered down upon on a weekly basis since April, but they don't have an analogues law so while 2CB isn't legal, 2CI is.

I hope we squeak in before everything goes! And remember to research everything before you take it...don't rely on the advice of some crazy Japanese hippy in a headshop =D

Sorry mods if this is guideline straddling. zero PM me if you like.

I was in Japan about 4 months ago and ran into some legal chems a few times in places where you just wouldn't expect to find them. Lets just say that I was pretty surprised when I saw who was buying them. You will find the stuff like Salvia and 2CI, but there is a lot of other stuff with really obscure names (slang I suspect), and although the ppl selling it will say that they're not really very strong, don't take it unless you've done research... apparently they're all quite strong and will fuck with your head if you're not ready for it.

BT I agree it's a good idea to search first, but since the most current of those threads is from Feb '04, a lot has changed. In particular, a lot more research chemicals were made illegal in April '05. There's not much information on this on the Net, so I think this thread is a useful update.

Fair enough :) Lets get some references to current/legal/news info in here if we can then.

BigTrancer :)

I have just returned to Oz after 6 years in Japan. Its all there and its all highly illegal. Shrooms were outlawed about 2 years ago....(i remember crying) haha. I not sure what info you are looking for, but if you find the right people youll be set up no probs. Everything you get is top quality......obscenely top quality, for a price of course.

try to give this a little bump as i leave in approximately a week.

Legal=2C's other than 2C-B, 5-MeO-DMT, 5-MeO-AMT, San pedro cacti(Mescaline, but pretty sure refined Mescaline is illegal), 4-Aces, Salvia(inc. 20x etc. extracts), 2C-T-'s, Methylone, MBDB(and other MDMA cousins), 5-MeO-MiPT, MiPT, IAP and plenty of other obscure ones only really seen in TiHKAL etc.

Illegal=AMT, 5-MeO-DiPT(Foxy), 2C-B, Mushrooms, LSD, DMT, Cocaine, Heroin, Meth, MDA, MDMA, GHB and the other usual suspects.

The only two that have become illegal recently are AMT and 5-MeO-DiPT, but most online suppliers are saying they will sell whatever is left in their stores and then produce no more(but they are still supplying 6 months after the law was introduced...).

I would also be vary wary of pre packaged combinations of research chems and strange plant/root extracts available in most head shops, they are for inexperienced users and dont do anything compared with their chemical counterparts. As a rule, if you dont recognise the name of something, it is most likely gonna be shit. One thing that is important to note when dealing with Japanese people that take drugs is, many people arent as well informed regarding pharmacology of the drugs they are taking and the various long-term effects etc. This may be due to a limited amount of literature or something, i dunno but a few groups of people i met in my travels were perpetuating MDMA experiences and 5-MeO-DMT trips with prescription MAO-Inhibitor anti-depressants without much regard to safety and other equally risky behaviour. While obviously this is also seen in the West, the people i personally encountered doing this kind of thing were generally much less experienced with drugs than those i have seen do it in the West.

If you are gonna take drugs over there, do it at home. You wont be able to afford a cab home from a club, so you'll have to take an early morning train, and with lots of RC's pumping thru your system and the japanese people's wariness of foreigners, it will make for a nice paranoia-filled journey home.

Last edited:
to researchemist

I have spent years and years in Japan, its my home, and find what you have written really quite offensive. The statements about Japanese and their attitudes towards drugs are so off base. Dude, keep such thoughts to yourself and think about what you are saying!

there you go! i didn't realise that giving advice on the local drug culture in a foreign country is politically incorrect now. Having experienced what the drug scene is like over there I was only trying to inform someone who is obviously inexperienced with japanese drug users that the kind of people that tend to go for drugs in japan aren't necessarily what you may have become accustomed to in the West. Therefore I was trying to make people aware that what might be considered excessive to you might be normal for the local people. In a country where peer-pressure and 'needing to fit in' are daily annoyances i think it especially important people are aware before putting themselves in a situation that could comprimise their health or safety. Having spent a lot of time in Japan myself I have a lot of respect for some aspects of that country's people and I was not in anyway trying to offend anyone. I was just telling it how i see it, im not going to sugar coat what i say so that people can keep their national-identity 'security blanket' in tact.

Jupiter_blue, I suggest you read "Nihonjin wo yameraremasuka?" by Sugimoto Yoshio(ISBN=4022611537) and similar books and get some fucking perspective.

Last edited:
Calling japanese fucking losers has nothing to do with perspective, what you typed was just plain rude. Also, possibly whom you chose to associate with in Japan was more a case of your bad judgement or luck than Japanese naivity with regard to drugs?

no-one called anyone a 'loser'...all i said was that in my experience the attitudes towards harm-reduction and safer drug use seemed to be less developed than other parts of the world i have visited. Having spent a number of years in different parts of the country i was fortunate enough to meet a broad range of people, some responsible and some reckless. Of course this is the same anywhere in the world, but drug people aren't the same in every country, and when in unfamiliar territory i think it would be wise to be careful with new friends as they may have very different attitudes towards drugs than the people you are used to back home.

But back on topic, to anyone considering trying some new RCs when in Japan, make sure you research them well first. As the RC market grows and the customers become more fickle, suppliers are now producing more and more obscure chemicals some of which have only one or two experience reports each, with hardly any research done on the short and long term effects to the body/brain.

first off, i carefully read the whole thread, and research chemist, i dont think you were being rude, offensive or insulting in any way. Don't let other people's blatant misunderstandings get to you bro. You were just explaining what you observed through experience. Omg, let's cry about this and get pissed. Anyways...

researchemist said:
As the RC market grows and the customers become more fickle, suppliers are now producing more and more obscure chemicals some of which have only one or two experience reports each, with hardly any research done on the short and long term effects to the body/brain.

lol, there has been hardly any research on the short/long term effects to the body/brain of most all the RC's....period. It's been said time and time again over the last few years or so...ever since the "RC community" has been around..."You are the guinea pig." Everyone's body chemistry is different. When ingesting an RC, there is always the very real chance of disaster. We could even be giving ourselves cancer ane a severe case of alzhiemer's. Who knows? No one does. It's a game of Russian Roulette with your health and sanity. I surely hope that these chems don't cause any problems in the long run. That would certainly be a beatufiul thing.

......Keep in mind, it's not my fault if you end up trying to snort of gram of 5-meo-amt and all the sudden you self combust before even being able to finish the fatty line of toxic chemical research.
DexterMeth Industries does not know if 5-meo-amt is toxic or not. We were just making a cheap little joke based off the overwhelming negative side effects many peeps feel during the 5-meo-amt experience. Questions and comments: Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm EST 800-420-6969

You will be able to find MDBD and Iboga. I doubt you'll find any places selling research chemicals like 2C-I etc.. openly.

[Do you mean MBDB? BT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dextermeth

There is nothing offensive to read now because the administrator asked research chemist to remove what he had written. Responsibly enough, research chemist did just that.

researchemist said:
One thing that is important to note when dealing with Japanese people that take drugs is, many people arent as well informed regarding pharmacology of the drugs they are taking and the various long-term effects etc.

Researchemist: I dont know what you originally wrote in your post, which was very well put together and informative by the way, however I just wanted to comment on the above statement.

When I was in Tokyo, I had people offering me a powdered substance they had in a satchel that was acquired from legal pharmacies. They told me it was powdered cold&flu medicine that you could mix at home, however, when consumed in large quantities it would bring on euphoric effects. Same people where also claiming that mixing it with Anti-Depressants was "a real trip out". I have a code of practice where by I refuse to consume drugs in foriegn countries where I don't have close ties to a resident of that country (just not worth the risk) so I didn't sample the wares on offer, So I agree with you in that regard.

On the other side of the coin though, your statement doesn't make Japan seem any different than Australia. I know myself that I speak to countless people on weekends doing the stupidest things because they don't bother to educate themselves. Probably should have just left your post at what was legal and what wasn't dude.

As for zer0502, I know it may sound lame, but just don't do any drugs in Japan. You obviously have no idea what is and isn't legal or what is and isn't socially acceptable. If you absolutely must, make sure you check with reliable sources in Japan while you are there and get some 'Specific' and 'Contemporary' information. You will be better of for it, especially if it keeps you out of a foriegn police station.;)

dude, the "relliable" sources that he speaks of are like research chemical stores. theres one somewhere in shibuya that has a big mushroom as a doorway according to a friend of mine who used to live there

i did indeed edit my post, my original post contained some generalisations about japanese drug users in australia which some people took offence to. There was no name calling etc just a few blanket statements that prob were a bit overboard. I am grateful for people's adverse reactions as they have helped me realise that the veil of an 'open' forum is very thin, and that it seems that political corectness is the order of the day, rather than a free exchange of ideas/opinions. anyhoo, i know for a fact that net suppliers are still selling 5-MeO-DMT, as a mate in tokyo called me off his head last night after smoking a fresh batch. if you dont read japanese it might be a bit difficult for you tho...I know a few head shops but i dunno if im allowed to give that info on the net...could someone tell me if i can?

but i do agree with whoever it was that said not to do drugs in japan. I fully understand that you wanna try all the rc's you have heard so much about on boards like this, but it is a totally different environment to get fucked up in. and the club/rave/doof/drug culture is v. different too. The decorations at the parties etc. might look the same, but it is still very much 'japan' and even while getting fucked up the same social rules etc. still apply.