Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drugs and Young People Conference

Bostonsox

Bluelighter
Hi guys, this is an advisory that went out for the 5th International Drugs and Young People Conference happening soon in Sydney (which I'll be attending...)
May 1, 2006​
Attn health, social issues, youth reporters
Media Advisory: Drugs and Young People

Finding ways to reduce the impact of alcohol and other drugs on young people will be the focus at the 5th International Conference on Drugs and Young People, to be held in Randwick, New South Wales on May 24-26.

The theme for conference is the culture and context of young peoples' drug use across various settings. These settings include bars and clubs, workplaces and schools, public spaces, juvenile justice settings, the web and sports settings.

How to reduce the harms associated with drug use has gained more importance as globalisation speeds up the exchange of cultural ideas and practices. As the flow of information has increased so has the array of substances available to young people at ever earlier ages.

This conference presents an opportunity for Australian workers and the public to learn more about the extent of drug use, why young people continue to use drugs, about options for prevention and treatment, and what the priorities should be, based on the best research findings.

Australian and international experts, and young people themselves, will share solutions and ideas to these problems at the conference, hosted by the Australian Drug Foundation in partnership with the Ted Noffs Foundation.

The keynote speakers (and their topics of discussion) are:
• Prof. Howard Parker, UK (normalisation of illegal drugs and the trend toward mixing alcohol and illegal drugs)
• Jennifer Johnston (ecstasy use in Australia)
• Franca Beccaria, Italy (advertising and promotion of alcohol to young people)
• Dr Simon Lenton (cannabis, health and the law)
• Prof. Rodney Skager USA, (drug education and moving beyond 'zero tolerance')
• Associate Professor Richard Midford (drug education in Australian schools)

Over three days speakers from around the world will discuss issues relating to drug use by young people. Members of the media are encouraged to view the conference programme at the website www.adf.org.au

Journalists and media organisations are welcome to interview key speakers in advance of the conference by contacting the conference media team.

5th International Conference on Drugs and Young People
AJC Convention Centre, Randwick, NSW May 24-26

-ends-

We have thousands of Conferences, but little ever seems to come of it...still its always good to have these topics being discussed in the public domain.

theweekndhaslanded said:
We have thousands of Conferences, but little ever seems to come of it...still its always good to have these topics being discussed in the public domain.
Nothing often comes of it because a) they're poorly publicised and b) the media can't grasp or are not interested in the subject matter.
I would've thought the media would be salivating at stuff around Drugs and Young People - plenty of juicy subject matter.
I suspect, however, that finding ways to reduce drug-related harm doesn't serve the media's interests - if we reduce the problem, what will they use to whip the public into a panic then?

I think you'll find there will be media at that conference - it isn't that usual that we have an international drugs conference in Australia, and there are some controversial topics covered.

I can't get to Sydney.. but for those of you who can go, I would recommend it.

BostonSox- do you know if there are any places set aside for youth or drug users? Some conference organisers will build this into their plans, but unfortunately it has been managed poorly in the past....

Tronica said:
I think you'll find there will be media at that conference - it isn't that usual that we have an international drugs conference in Australia, and there are some controversial topics covered.

I can't get to Sydney.. but for those of you who can go, I would recommend it.

BostonSox- do you know if there are any places set aside for youth or drug users? Some conference organisers will build this into their plans, but unfortunately it has been managed poorly in the past....

I'm not quite sure about users (although, there's likely to be some current and definitely former users participating) but there is a big youth component. I'm 29 and giving a talk - does that count?

You can get the programme at www.adf.org.au

There was ment to be a conference in brisbane, im not sure wen, i think it had already psat but i wanted to go to it just to put my input into it. it would of been funny having a good amount of people there that know there stuff about pills and put their 2 cents in and pissed of all tthe parents that went. Oh well, next time i will go

Hope your presentation goes well, BostonSox.

I was also going to present and attend as a researcher (albeit a young researcher) but changed plans and no longer have the funding to attend. Yes have looked at the program, it's a good one!