Writing-up Drug Use & Mental States survey: recreational drug use & mental wellbeing

TGirard

Greenlighter
Hi there,

We are researchers at Ryerson University interested in recruiting participants for the following online study:

What
? We are interested in the relationship between recreational drug use and mental wellness.

By participating in this study, which will take approximately 15-20 minutes, you will be asked questions regarding your substance use history, and your current emotional state. Questions about personal experiences may cause psychological discomfort. However, your responses will remain anonymous and you are free to answer or decline each question.

Who
? To participate in this study, you must be competent to provide informed consent. Your participation would be on a voluntary basis; that is, there is no direct incentive provided. However, we expect the survey to prove interesting and it will help us gain a better understanding of the effects of various drugs.

Those who abstain from drugs entirely are also welcome as participants.

How?
To find out more?Please visit the URL posted below, or e-mail us at [email protected] with questions/comments

Please click on the link below and you will be re-directed to the Drug Use & Mental States survey:
[https://ryersonpsych.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_41NUhzDPUEUEMIZ]

Note: This study has been approved by the Ryerson University Research Ethics Board. Recruitment began briefly in 2016 but was on hiatus for logistical reasons until now. We are now relaunching for active recruitment. We plan to run collection until June 2020 (pending response rates).

Thanks for your potential interest and help with this project,

Todd Girard, PhD, Leanne Wilkins, PhD, and Eric Oulster, BA

Might want to add a place for special circumstances. I participated, but as a chronic pain patient I think most of my problems are situational.

Might want to add a place for special circumstances. I participated, but as a chronic pain patient I think most of my problems are situational.
Thank you for this valuable feedback. We will consider adding something and for sure keep in mind when interpreting any data. Thanks!

I would enjoy being in one of these studies, how do I go about getting into one?

Hey Wicox. To explore participating in a study read through the original posts and see if you fit the parameters and then follow the instructions provided.

here is the link for this one.

Please click on the link below and you will be re-directed to the Drug Use & Mental States survey:
[https://ryersonpsych.co1.qualtrics.c...1NUhzDPUEUEMIZ]

Welcome to BL!

Just did this, interesting study and made me realise how far my mental health has come recently... I've had similar things given to me by psychiatrists a few years ago and my answers were far more negative. I'm doing really well these days.

One little issue in your study though, even though I selected United Kingdom as my country at the beginning it asked if my cannabis use changed as a result of legalisation in Canada. Which I just put N/A in.

Thank you for your interest and feedback! This is a great point - it was a recent addition that we thought might be important for those in Canada, but yes not relevant in many other places. We hope this doesn't cause much confusion - 'N/A' was a good choice for the response here!

Wow, I really need to make some life changes. Thanks for this introspective opportunity!

My current use has immensely improved my mental state. Past drug use - particularly alcohol - has made it exponentially worse, though.
In day-to-day life I take a combination of antidepressants, opioids, other painkiller, anti-anxiety medication, mood stabilizers, anti-histamines and sleeping pills.

Hey, Ryerson! Took a psych course there once.

Anyway, it won't let me access the survey. Denies me access. Do you have Tor exit nodes blocked, @TGirard ?

I would love to help, but can't access it. I'll try cycling through some relays to see if I can get one that isn't blocked.

Edit: Got it working, filled it out. All the best in your research!

Last edited:
My current use has immensely improved my mental state. Past drug use - particularly alcohol - has made it exponentially worse, though.
In day-to-day life I take a combination of antidepressants, opioids, other painkiller, anti-anxiety medication, mood stabilizers, anti-histamines and sleeping pills.
Those made you better??

Hey, Ryerson! Took a psych course there once.

Anyway, it won't let me access the survey. Denies me access. Do you have Tor exit nodes blocked, @TGirard ?

I would love to help, but can't access it. I'll try cycling through some relays to see if I can get one that isn't blocked.

Edit: Got it working, filled it out. All the best in your research!

Not sure what the issue was, but glad you got it working!

Thanks for the feedback - as the survey was over halfway, although still active, we didn't want to amend too much. We've seen a number of respondents use the textboxes to help provide further contextual / situational information, which is useful. We are planning to post another study soon and have integrated an item to specifically ask about situational circumstances -thanks for that input!