The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Misc Drug testing at the ER?!

blockbusterparty

Bluelighter
Wasn’t sure which forum to post this in, so let me know if it needs to be moved.

I have been experimenting with some drugs—MDMA/Molly, cocaine, and ‘shrooms. Heroin is my drug of choice but I can’t have that any more as I’m severely allergic to it and can’t even get high off it.
I’m also allergic to all the SSRIs and have even passed out, hit my head and had to get stitches after he such attempt at using Remeron, a ***prescribed medication****.
I did go to the ER once because of the anaphylaxis and they did not drug test me. This surprise me a it, as literally every time I have been to *any* ER, I get drug tested. There is one ER I have come in because I OD’d…but still. The other times I came to the ER, many of them, had nothing to do with drug use and weren’t even the same ER!!

so…if it was just me going and they find out I have been using the above substances, I would be honest with them. But I live with my parents and there’s a good chance one or both would be at the hospital or expect an update from them. And the ER doesn’t exactly have a stellar record on respecting my privacy. They once told my parents I tested positive for H. I was told by an RN this may be allowed since I was unconscious when I was brought in. But suffice it to say, I don’t trust the ER at all.

If I was drug tested (urine), what could I say about being positive for MDMA, shrooma, or cocaine? I realize a lot of these can give false positives, but I think the exception is cocaine.

Im wondering if I can refuse to give a urine sample at an ER? Like what would happen? Sigh…my situation is all so complicated I hate everything sometimes.

What would be the reason that you're getting drug tested?

Hmmm... I mean as long as you're an adult the doctors can't give out any of your medical information unless you've given someone your written consent... Hippa laws and all that

Hmmm... I mean as long as you're an adult the doctors can't give out any of your medical information unless you've given someone your written consent... Hippa laws and all that
Well I’m an adult and my info was given to my parents. I was curious. I was later told that under HIPPA it depends on the condition the person was admitted whether info can be give out. Even though I was conscious and could have been asked at that point.

Yeah, I don't know the in's and out's of hippa laws, I'm sure there must be circumstances where information has to be given out

I’ve never once heard of them taking drug tests upon arriving at the ER unless it’s something like an overdose situation where they need to figure out what you ingested.

Did they ask or just do it and tell you after? That seems crooked to me. Probably reportable.

-GC

I’ve never once heard of them taking drug tests upon arriving at the ER unless it’s something like an overdose situation where they need to figure out what you ingested.

Did they ask or just do it and tell you after? That seems crooked to me. Probably reportable.

-GC
No, they didn’t ask first. I’ve looked up stuff online and apparently they don’t have to ask first.

Are you getting medication when going to A&E?

I understand them running it for a few of the situations you’ve mentioned but it would certainly be odd for a bruised up leg and foot. Who’s going to A&E with that though? There must have been more to it?

Honestly, of course they can run urinalysis, in fact they can be taken up for being completely negligent if they don’t in some cases and I’d bet it’s on your file and they are probably required to.

Telling your parents is a different story. I would ensure you let them know you don’t want them sharing any info with your parents and do mention the law and that you would be pursuing it if you found them in breech.

Are you getting medication when going to A&E?

I understand them running it for a few of the situations you’ve mentioned but it would certainly be odd for a bruised up leg and foot. Who’s going to A&E with that though? There must have been more to it?

Honestly, of course they can run urinalysis, in fact they can be taken up for being completely negligent if they don’t in some cases and I’d bet it’s on your file and they are probably required to.

Telling your parents is a different story. I would ensure you let them know you don’t want them sharing any info with your parents and do mention the law and that you would be pursuing it if you found them in breech.

they are not given me opioid medication but may give other things love ibuprofen IV push, etc.

I thought I had DVT in my leg and foot (turned out it was bruised and fractured but no deep vein thrombosis) and the doctor asked me if I did meth. I guess that can cause it. I said no, so it seems weird to still run a test.

thanks for your support on what I feel aee
Violations of my privacy. I have a friend whose partner collapsed from drinking too much and the hospital staff talked to her since she was her wife. So, this seems like something they might do but I was fully conscious at the time and had only been unconscious a very short while. The RN I talked to said it has to do with status upon arrival or some such thing. But…just seems wrong.

The RN I talked to said it has to do with status upon arrival or some such thing. But…just seems wrong.
It’s flat out wrong to give your info without your consent. We are human though don’t forget. The RN could also be a parent and seeing yours who were probably upset and asking questions and pushing someone for info might be a reason she gave in. Who knows. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Make it very clear that in future to them that they are not to give out your info without explicit consent.

As for the drug testing, look, the Dr questioned your drug use and whilst you said no he’s obligated to make sure you weren’t lying. There could be lots of reasons why he needed to check but believe me, it’s best running one and being more sure than not.

mushrooms aren't on the 5 panel test and neither is MDMA, which is the most common screening, and i believe MDMA is only on the 12 panel, which is the least used, and mushrooms aren't on any of them

if that makes you feel any better

if you're really in a pinch and they tell you to go pee in the bathroom, fill your cup with a 1 to 1 water to piss ratio and you'll either pass or come up inconclusive, which would give you time to clean up, take the test again, and by that time, the coke will out of your system and you'll pass with flying colors

When i went to the ER on suicide watch they urine tested me. they asked if i wanted my information disclosed to an emergency contact, in case i became delirious. I opted to list my sister (who I know would keep everything to herself). But they asked me first, so it is strange they just gave it away

Sometimes they just test your urine for sugars, iron, and other things then just for drugs.
I guess if you have prior hospitalizations due to drugs then they might be suspicious.
Legally, I don't think they can like call your mom and say you are on drugs. Then again, if your mom is there at the hospital then I can see the nurse/doctor mentioning it.

mushrooms aren't on the 5 panel test and neither is MDMA, which is the most common screening, and i believe MDMA is only on the 12 panel, which is the least used, and mushrooms aren't on any of them

if that makes you feel any better

if you're really in a pinch and they tell you to go pee in the bathroom, fill your cup with a 1 to 1 water to piss ratio and you'll either pass or come up inconclusive, which would give you time to clean up, take the test again, and by that time, the coke will out of your system and you'll pass with flying colors
I testing…never heard of doing a one-one per-water ratio. Just using tap water, I presume?! Seems like it would raise flags but maybe not.

and of course, the high from coke gets out of one’s system pretty easily. But I’ve read it can be urine tested for up to three days. So I’m not sure how giving them that test would buy be time to take another while I hung around the ER. But then again, they might not make me take another.

I testing…never heard of doing a one-one per-water ratio. Just using tap water, I presume?! Seems like it would raise flags but maybe not.

and of course, the high from coke gets out of one’s system pretty easily. But I’ve read it can be urine tested for up to three days. So I’m not sure how giving them that test would buy be time to take another while I hung around the ER. But then again, they might not make me take another.

The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

HIPAA laws in the US are violated with such regularity it’s shocking.
I once overheard a doctor tell another patient that I was admitted because I was having an allergic reaction. The doctor had told the patient my information because the patient said his wife was a nurse?!?!

HIPAA laws protect your medical privacy as it’s related to people you know (as opposed to your clinicians, your health insurance provider, etc.) most of the time unless you’ve designated them as having the right to access them. But here’s the rub (see bolded text):
Outside of the HIPAA right of access, other provisions in the Privacy Rule address disclosures to family members. Specifically, a covered entity is permitted to share information with a family member or other person involved in an individual’s care or payment for care as long as the individual does not object. In cases where the individual is incapacitated, a covered entity may share the individual’s information with the family member or other person if the covered entity determines, based on professional judgment, that the disclosure is in the best interest of the individual. If the individual is deceased, a covered entity may make the disclosure unless doing so is inconsistent with any prior expressed preference of the individual. These disclosures are generally limited to the health information that is relevant to the person’s involvement in the individual’s care or payment for care.

However, if your HIPAA rights are violated and you’re willing to go through the bureaucratic complaint process by filing with the Office of Civil Rights, it can seriously impact that individual.

HIPAA laws in the US are violated with such regularity it’s shocking.
I once overheard a doctor tell another patient that I was admitted because I was having an allergic reaction. The doctor had told the patient my information because the patient said his wife was a nurse?!?!

HIPAA laws protect your medical privacy as it’s related to people you know (as opposed to your clinicians, your health insurance provider, etc.) most of the time unless you’ve designated them as having the right to access them. But here’s the rub (see bolded text):

However, if your HIPAA rights are violated and you’re willing to go through the bureaucratic complaint process by filing with the Office of Civil Rights, it can seriously impact that individual.

Thanks. This is really helpful. The privacy violation happened awhile ago so at this point it’s mute in terms of legal repercussions. Or even just trying to get them to never do that again.

Magee professionals are WAY lacks about HIPPA. When I am in line at cvs, I’ve been able to hear the scripts for other patients because the staff calls them out and it’s clear who they are being given to. I even talked to them about this and they did nothing about it. (At this point, I usually use the drive thru for picki up scripts).