• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drug shame near primary school

If it is becoming such a problem that used needles are found on school grounds daily - shouldn't it be the needle exchange that has to be closed down/moved elsewhere?

I am guessing the school has been around a lot longer than the program, and IMO when young children are involved, there has to be a big line drawn.
In saying that though, the media does have a tendency to over-exadurate(sp?) the severity of a problem.......so it may not be as bad as its being portrayed.

I just think its a scary thought that children as young as 5yrs old are so close to such a program. I wonder if the teachers and staff educate the students about the dangers etc of used syringes & not to pick them up.
I would hope so for the kids' sake :\

Anyways, be safe & take care everyone %)

~pharm_friendly~

aunty: i wasnt having a shot at BT's comment - just using it as a starting point for my suggestion to close the needle exchange as it hadn't been raised elsewhere.

thanks for the tip though :)

~pharm_friendly~

I'v never met anybody that was so proud of there habbit they have to shoot up in the middel of the street in broad day light

I haven't met them, but I've seen more than a few...living in Richmond in particular I'd often wander down the many lane-ways as a shortcut to somewhere....and there was always a couple of local junkies enjoying themselves in the relative peace and quiet.

Was just on channel 10 late news sydney 3/8/05

a 9 year old school girl in Qld was pricked by a used needle that was in school grounds.3 needles where in a brown bag that she had picked up getting a needle stick injury.Now not only does the child have to wait 6 months to know shes ok but parents of other children have told their kids not to play with this girl since the incident.

Pretty Fucking sad.......

As i said This centre in Vic needs to be closed down before the same thing happens to a kid down there.

did any one see the picture in the paper? It was on the front page. It was of a dude sticking himself while standing next to a brick fence or wall (I assume of the school) 8o . I live close enough to this spot to verify that it does happen very often.

A friend of mine even O'Ded in his car parked just near there :(

It's a bad spot and something really needs to be done about it.

I remember a while back I was a train on the Ringwood line to the city and this guy sits next to me and then says "You don't mind if I have a taste do you?" and I warily said "uhh..no..?" I didn't know what he meant at the time and he says "good man" and then brings out a spoon some water and a needle and proceeds to shoot up right in front of me on the train. It was a Sunday so there were hardly any people on the train, I found it rather creepy.

a 9 year old school girl in Qld was pricked by a used needle that was in school grounds.3 needles where in a brown bag that she had picked up getting a needle stick injury.Now not only does the child have to wait 6 months to know shes ok but parents of other children have told their kids not to play with this girl since the incident

That sucks big time, I would hate to be that girl. Poor thing.:(

The only way they're going to solve the issue is to tear down the public housing flats in the immediate area (in which 6000 people live, mind you), or move the school. Closing the NSP will do SFA IMO =D.

The NSP is there because the area is notorious for heroin users. The area didn't suddenly become swamped with users because an NSP opened! *sigh* If you don't want your kids to get a needle stick injury, for Chrissake don't send them to a school in Junkietown, VIC. Let's bear in mind that most of the kids going to this school likely live in the surrounding government housing blocks and this is the area they grew up in and play in. Some of their parents are probably IV users themselves.

I think it pays to look at the realities of the situation before shrieking "think of the children!" too loudly.

Oh and by the way, I got a needle stick injury myself when I was 11 years old; I was going for a long-distance run through the bush in an affluent part of the outer suburbs. I didn't catch anything from it, just like every other needle stick injury victim I'm aware of outside of hospitals. I think people really go over the top on this issue.

I also think there is allot of over reacting to this issue, on the other hand I do agree that incorrectly disposed needles are very bad news.
I have a nurse friend who told me that there is very little chance of contracting a disease from a needle stick unless it occurs just after the needle has been used. The body reacts to the injury by pushing blood into the wound and pushing out any nasties. Having said that there is obviously still a significant chance of Hep C or similar being contracted. Not something to shrug off.

I was told a little story that I believe could be true. The guy in the photo in the paper was paid for the shot.
(pun intended.....)
Oh and strangely I believe it (do you notice the safe disposal kit at his feet...)

Go Liam! Rockin the suburbs. This man is the Andrew Bolt of drugs.

Driven out by junkies
Liam Houlihan
04 Aug 2005

AN attack by a crazed junkie has driven a hairdresser out of business.

The latest casualty of Melbourne's needle plague has emerged as pressure mounts to move the controversial North Richmond Community Health Centre needle exchange away from a neighbouring primary school.

The owner of the Croydon salon had already tired of the dumped needles, car park drug deals, and crowds of users drawn to a nearby methadone program.

The horrific attack on his young female worker was the last straw.

Hairdresser Erin White was in the shopping centre's female toilets when she was viciously stabbed.

"A guy came out from one of the cubicles," said Ms White, 20. "He was off his head, had bloodshot eyes, and was slurring, spattering his words."

The man, in his mid-20s, demanded money.

When Ms White said she did not have any, he stabbed her five times in the arm with a syringe before returning to the cubicle.

With blood streaming from her punctured arm, Ms White went to the centre's chemist, which runs the methadone program, for help.

"The chemist said, 'Call the police. We don't have anything to do with it. We don't give out syringes'," Ms White said.

The following day boss Greg Smith, no longer able to guarantee the security of his staff, closed his business.

He kept the Croydon hairdressers on at his remaining 15 Budget Cuts salons and is now suing the Croydon North shopping centre for failing to provide adequate security.

However Ms White faces an anxious wait to see if she has contracted anything from her attacker.

The Herald Sun revealed this week that users of a needle exchange next to a primary school were dumping used needles just metres from where Richmond West Primary School pupils played.

Users of the Richmond centre have since emerged who say they would also be more comfortable if the needle exchange was moved away from the school.

"I can certainly see their point," Kelly, a drug user for a decade, said about the calls of parents for the needle program to be moved.

"My view is it's despicable around children."

Premier Steve Bracks has said he supported the program staying where it is.

From Herald Sun

I guess the only option is to be aware of whats going on in certain areas i.e. if u see someone shooting up just watch to see what they do with the needle .. if they just throw it on the ground if so i suggest a crow bar to the back of the head will solve that problem... as this is what i shall be doing from now on,Im sick off all this bullshit with junkies not only throwing needles on the ground endangering children but also using needles as weapons to gain money.Who cares about these junkies really ?? they chose that lifestyle so fuck em they deserve to get diseases and die.

I say no more needle exchanges .. only diabetics should be allowed needles.

:X

^ You obviously know nothing about HIV. Preventing the spread of blood borne viruses in one segment of the community protects everyone else. People who inject come from a broad cross-section of the communtiy - despite your best efforts to imagine them all as evil junkies. When HIV rates amongst injectors increase, guess what? They pass it on to their sexual partners.

This has already happend in countries like the US, where they have significant numbers of new infections in hetrosexual people. It doesn't actually take injecting drug use to spread something like HIV. Anyone who has unsafe sex is at risk. In Australia, we have high rates of unsafe sex amongst hetro people. If HIV rates went up amongst injectors, it would very quickly spread amongst the mainstream hetro community.

mongman said:
Having said that there is obviously still a significant chance of Hep C or similar being contracted. Not something to shrug off.

Actually your nurse friend is correct, there's only a very slight risk of blood borne virus transmission from a community acquired needlestcik injury. That's because of the small size of the needles used by injectors and the fact that viruses like HIV and hep C don't last that long when exposed to the outdoor environment.

Until recently, there'd never been a recorded case of hep C transmission from a community acquired needlestick injury anywhere in the world. In July, an article was published which indicates a woman in Spain appears to have contracted hep C from a needlestick injury in a cemetary.

The media always highlights "the anxious wait" for people who've recently had a needlestick injury without ever noting the fact that transmission is extremely unlikely. I notice they seem to keep extending the widow period every time these sorts of articles are published too. For HIV, the window period is 3 months and for hep C it's 6 months.

Regarding the article above, I don't see how a pharmacy that dispenses methadone has managed to attract all these unsavoury people to the area. There are over 200 pharmacies that dispense methadone in Victoria. Sounds more like the entire neighbourhood is having problems. Methadone programs don't make people into syringe-wielding theives. If anything, they prevent such scenarios.

Last edited:
WHAT ABOUT HEP B ?????

That can live for weeks in a needle !!!!!!

I know that the fear of catching diseases was the thing that stopped me from ever sticking a needle in my arm,maybe some of you out there should do the same..

I mean its 2005 we all know whats out there to catch so why take the risk ????????? having sex these days is enough to be worried about so why would you greater those risks by sticking a needle in your arm for what a few hours of being smashed.The last thing i will say on this matter is this,I have seen many friends drop from too much and also getting hep b,c even though they were VERY CAREFUL and you dont how many times ive heard them say they wish they could travel back in time to change things as having Hep B and C is worse than Aids,they are yellow skinned and look like they are holocaust victims.

Please be careful if you do use needles and also make sure that if see a junky you know that you tell them how kids have been injured from needles on the ground etc just so they will think the next time they go and throw it on the ground.

this is my last post on this matter.....

Flexistentialist: I agree, methadone clinics generally remove the desperation that regular IV heroin users are faced on a daily basis in regard to securing a supply of the drug.
It could be argued that this would actually reduce incidences of drug motivated crime, including violent ones.
I also suspect that had this man been in possession of a large knife he would have used it in the same way with even more dire consequences.
I see parallels with anti-gun legislation in that respect, its not the needle that made this guy stab the lady it was his miss-use of the tool that was wrong.

mrK!NGP!N: I really don't think general thuggery involving large blunt objects is a valid response to this kind of behavior at all. In fact it would be considered a crime and could very well result in serious assault charges filed against you. I also doubt young children need to see you pounding the grey matter out of some poor guys head with a crowbar outside their school. I would even suggest that actions of that extent would be worse than them seeing the consequences of heavy drug abuse.... at least that may make them think twice before heading down that road themselves.

mrK!NGP!N - Yeah what about hep B? There's also never been a recorded case of hep B transmission from a community acquired needlestcik injury ever in the world. Everything I've said above applies to hep B as well, except there's probably even lower risk of transmitting that virus, because of low prevalence rates in the community, and the fact that most people with hep B clear it naturally and are no longer able to pass the virus on to other people. A needlestick injury in the community setting is considered low risk in terms of blood borne virus transmission.

Also, I'm not sure how hep B and C are worse than HIV. HIV is usually fatal. Hep B and C are rarely fatal, and often it's in cases where there are mitigating circumstances - particualrly excessive long-term alcohol intake.

If you don't want your kids to get a needle stick injury, for Chrissake don't send them to a school in Junkietown, VIC

Are you serious? If you want to talk about realities perhaps you should check your own. It is neither the kids fault nor possibly the parents that they happen to live in "Junkietown". The parents of course must make provisions and decisions regarding the welfare of their children but a view such as you have suggested is beyond that scope IMO. The "Junkietown" school may be the only one that the parents may be able to afford or any other number of reasons that they send their kids there. And to cast blame or inuendos referring to blame, scorning them for sending the child to the closest school possible to them or other reasons is not only shifting the blame but also very rude.

*sigh*:p

Oh and by the way, I got a needle stick injury myself when I was 11 years old; I was going for a long-distance run through the bush in an affluent part of the outer suburbs. I didn't catch anything from it, just like every other needle stick injury victim I'm aware of outside of hospitals. I think people really go over the top on this issue.

Oh? And by the way, how does the obviously small number of people that you know of (how many exactly?) have any real relevance to the actual number of people (who you don't know) who have contracted a virus or diease or infection from a needle stick injury?

You think people go over the top? Obviously your emotions have been dulled to these types of issues. Some people have the same well grounded fear of dirty needles as they would if guns were left around publicly used areas with some of them loaded and some of them not.

I don't know if you thought it through before you posted, I definitely have been guilty of that, but if you think about the issues I raised you will I hope, see the sense. Sorry if what I said came off too harsh, but it is a very serious subject.

Cheers.

Last edited:
John Candy said:
Oh? And by the way, how does the obviously small number of people that you know of (how many exactly?) have any real relevance to the actual number of people (who you don't know) who have contracted a virus or diease or infection from a needle stick injury?

I'm not sure how many times I have to say this in one thread before people get the picture. There has only ever been one recorded case in the world of a blood borne virus being transmitted from a community acquired needlestick injury. This is a well-researched area of public health. There are numerous research reports published in academic journals that deal with this issue.

But this is a topic, that i get really i can get really worked up about, (the use of needles etc)

I have already had a go at a guy on the "other" forums about his use of words for subjects like this.

I do agree with injecting centres, and believe they should be avaialble to people that are "using" drugs Intravenously as they are a much "safer" method that using them on the street.
Not only does this stop many more needles being found on the streets, but it also helps provent dieases which are contracted through shared needle use, ie Hep C, HIV etc with the free supply of syringes.

Fair enough I dont not at all agree with what the guy in the picture is doing, it is plain wrong! BUt i do agree with injecting rooms for drug users!

I know i would much rather see injecting centres, that not see them at all and have ALOT more used needles, discarded balloons used to carry the drug and spoons used to cook it up.

Or maybe this injecting centre could be moved to another location away from the Primary skool, but still somewere people can still easily find the centre.

You should of seen the old needle boxes in NSW. They used to have a little bowl shape indented in the top of the container, so you could mix up your shit on plastic in public. ewww.. gross.