• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drug Related Literature

Mr Nice.......an autobio. about Howard Marks and his Hashish Smuggling Days.

Candy.......Fiction about an Australian couple who are addicted to Herion.

These are both good books and well recommended.

Polyester Books in Brunswick Street Fitzroy in Melbourne has heaps of good juicey books to get lost in..

Diary of a Drug Fiend by Aleister Crowley, published in 1922.

excerpt:

"Oh, yes, heroin," said Lamus; "Cocaine. We regret exceedingly to be out of it for the moment." The brute seemed unconscious of our distress. He gave an imitation of an apologetic shop-walker. "But let me show you our latest line in morphine" ...."

the teachings of don juan - carlos castenada(sp)

this is the first book of the series.... best books ive ever read

Marching Powder by Rusty Young

About an international drug smuggler who gets caught and sent to San Pedro prison in Bolivia. Very interesting read. Apparently a true story

Dopeland - John Birmingham. Just started reading and the first few pages had me laughing.

Perfect for the stoners who can still read ;)

nanobrain said:
Diary of a Drug Fiend by Aleister Crowley, published in 1922.

excerpt:

"Oh, yes, heroin," said Lamus; "Cocaine. We regret exceedingly to be out of it for the moment." The brute seemed unconscious of our distress. He gave an imitation of an apologetic shop-walker. "But let me show you our latest line in morphine" ...."

WARNING: One must be well acquainted in life and times of Crowley before becoming too involved in his writings. I've known more than one person, who for one reason or another, permanently left the known world behind in search for extreme abstractions :\

But it is a good read =D

A great collection of ramblings can be found in extracts from the Psychedelic Review, a revolutionary 60's forum on pschopharmacological substances.

The Psychedelic Reader edited by Leary, Metzner and Weil. You can retrace Wasson's unprecedented journeys into discovery of the psychedelic fungi of Mexico, and other equally interesting topics. Some good stuff also from Leary on the first clinical results of LSD experiments, as well as some interesting and still very relevant discussion on Law and the psychedelics.

On the good novel list is Ecstasy by Irvine Welsh. Three very different short stories, each of which seeing E play a key but different role. The good, the bad and the indescribable are all graphically generated with each story. Hint: learn some Scottish slang first, and if Train Spotting shocked you, forget this one

One other if you ever are fortunate enough to see it.

Cocaine (author unknown)

A novel set in the 1920's in france. A young reporter, Tito Anaudi, is requested by his uncle who owns The Washington Times to investigate the use of cocaine in france. It's a sad, but funny in a black way story about how Tito falls for the seduction of the drug, and eventually kills himself by visiting a friend in a lab and stealing a small vial of typhus. After drinking the contents and falling gravely ill, he derived great pleasure from witnessing the ridiculous diagnoses various doctors made as to his illness. Within the story, Tito is taken to the finest parties where morphine was in a large dish on the table and ether was passed around much like nitrous is today.

^
Crowley was The Man, i just wonder how he could walk around wth such gigantic balls ;-)

heeding p_d's warning, there is alot to be said for what Crowley did, and alot to be read in most of his books and inbetween the lines.

the Cocaine book - this may be another book, its called "Romance with Cocaine" by M.Ageev, appeared first time in 1934 in a Paris magazine called "Illustrated Life."

M.Ageev - an early pseudonym for......Nabokov.

^^Was just over at amazon.com and noticed Aleister Crowley has quite a few works to his name. Would "Diary of a Drug Fiend" be the best place to start with him?

^its a good start to Crowley's work, although nothing at all like the rest of his writings, which deal mostly with arcane knowledge, Qabalah, freemasonry, Golden Dawn, R.C., Magick in Theory and Practice, etc.

Can anyone recommend some good books related to recreational drugs? I'm more after reference material, but if there are any brilliant drug related bios/stories definately suggest them.

A friend suggested, Ecstasy: The complete guide. A comprehensive look at the risks and benefits of MDMA (2001) as an interesting read. Any BLers able to provide a brief review?

I read Marching Powder by Rusty Young a few months back. Its the story of Thomas McFadden a British drug trafficker who serves time in a San Pedro prison. The stories of corruption and daily life in the prison are surreal. Its very easy to read and has a conversational feel to it. I enjoyed it, giving it a thumbs up.

Marching Powder was awesome. Finished it in one flight from Perth to Sydney. Loved it.

there are books written by Dr (Prof?) Shulgin, i think PHIKAL or something similar. I've never read them but i've seen them mentioned...

Excellent online book, goes by the title of "E is for Ecstacy". It was written by Nicholas Saunders, sounds like an intillegent guy as well. It's nothing too complex, but very comprehensive in terms of the basics of ecstacy, it's current (not to mention "pre-era") trends. Also has information on the basic pharmacology, etc... of E. But, keep in mind, it's nothing complex.
I know the site it's on, but I don't know if I'm allowed to mention that particular site. But, I'm pretty sure you can acess a link by going to Erowid.org.

Also, I know of a site that has alot of Drug Text (<-HINT!!HINT!->) and it's a non-profit organisation, so it's all free!
I'm sure they also have it's links in Erowid(?)

There's alot of interesting literature floating about, regarding psychedelic, hallucinogenic, entactogenic (just to name a few...), alot can be found electronically through the World Wide Web.

Yeah, i've done a bit of the web based reading... i'm just one of those lesser species that can't read huge amounts of material from a computer screen. There's something daunting about scrolling down a never ending page...

Plus, i can't site web pages as offical references. :(

^ Really? Are you at University? Most unis accept web-published text as having similar authority to books (i.e. less than peer-reviewed journal articles, but still OK for supporting an argument).

There's lots of ethnographic research on MDMA subcultures if that's the sort of stuff you're looking for and it's a tertiary paper. I can probably dredge up an endnote library if you need that sort of stuff :)

Pihkal, Tihkal, Psychedelic Encyclopedia by Peter Stafford, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

There's is a book called MR NASTY by a drug dealer by the name of Cameron White. I haven't read this book but I have heard Cameron talk, and it seems like an interesting read.

One of the best books ive ever read, Mr Nice by Howard Marks.An autobiography from the man who was smuggling upto 30 tonnes of weed at his peak, working with CIA, IRA, Mafia, had something like 43 aliases. written in a very humorous fashion. i couldnt put it down till it was finished.

Lsd My Problem Child, Reflections on Sacred Drugs, Mysticism, and Science

Tihkal and Pihkal

Practical Lsd Manufacture

All very good reads.

The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell by Aldous Huxley
!!!

THATS the bugger...!!! was just going to ask which it was by vaguely describing it! many thanx!