• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drug Related Literature

aunty establishment said:
^ Really? Are you at University? Most unis accept web-published text as having similar authority to books (i.e. less than peer-reviewed journal articles, but still OK for supporting an argument).

Yeah a uni paper, according to this decrepid lecturer websites don't hold much cred in his opinion. I could throw in some ideas I've found in web-published text but to stick to the side of caution i'd like to at least back these ideas up with some hard copy references.

We heard you the first time... ;) By the way, what kind of information are you looking for? "... related to recreational drugs" could be pretty broad, ranging from fiction to scientific/medical research journal papers.

BigTrancer :)

Nicholas Saunders founded ecstasy dot org. Sadly he was killed in a car crash in Africa on the 3rd of February 1998. His book is definitely worth a read

qume said:
after you have read all about the joys of drug taking, might i suggest you try " A million little pieces" by James Frey. This should balance the other suggestions out nicely.

hehehe i dont think anybody's going to be reading this now.

Retro thread alert! *ding ding ding* =D

Just kidding. I personally think "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac is one of the best books written not only with a drug subtext, but also entirely *on drugs*. Also "Less Than Zero", which I think is Bret Easton Ellis's shittiest book (IMO only) but was written (so he claims) on an eight week crystal meth binge. Ten brownie points to the first person to note the corollary betwixt these two texts :)

My favourite book would have to be "Junky" by William S Burroughs.

It is a great biographical book (although published as fiction, with the name changed to William Lee) about a mans journey through his first hit of junk, through his life in jail, rehab and overdoses. The author was married, although he was also a paedophile. The book is extremely graphic and has the greatest line I've ever heard "Morphine hits the legs first (he shot it in his legs on his first try), then the arms, followed by a spreading wave of relaxation, like lying in a bath of warm water". Throughout the book William experiments with peyote, cocaine and other assorted drugs. He moves to Mexico after the murder of his wife and then the book ends when he moves to South America in the search of Yage (ayahuasca - an ancient hallucinogen)".

This book was written in 1952 and is a great account of a heroin addict just after heroin became illegal.

"Cocaine: An Unauthorized Biography" by Dominic Streatfeild is one of my favourite drug books and has not been mentioned in this thread. Its a really thorough look at cocaine from lots of different perspectives, its long but i found it really really interesting throughout.

"Mavericks of the Mind", and "Voices from the Edge" are collections of interviews, not all are of drug people but many are, i found it pretty interesting reading and its available online here. Many of the authors mentioned in this thread are among the interviewed and it might give you an idea whose work you wanna read.

Anyone know if Ketamine : Dreams and Realities by Karl Jansen MD PhD is available to read/download online anywhere, i can't find the it online or at any libraries and i dont have a credit card to order it from amazon or whatever.

Cowboy Mac said:
Some I have read, other are on on my amazon wishlist. If anyone has any other books they could recommend I would love to add them to the list :)

Psychedelic Experience: A Manual Based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead
By Timothy Leary is well worth a read

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think anyone's mentioned junk, that was quite good. never been all that interested in smack though.
irvine welsh, however, is my favourite writer, and i recommend his books to everyone that hasnt yet had the pleasure of reading them.

miss_c said:
There's is a book called MR NASTY by a drug dealer by the name of Cameron White. I haven't read this book but I have heard Cameron talk, and it seems like an interesting read.
Mr Nasty definately is an awesome read. Highly recommended!8o

Nobody has yet mentioned Hermann Hesse's "Steppenwolf" - the book that changed my life!

Last edited:
De Quincey "Confessions of an Opium-eater" (opium)

Coleridge "Kubla Khan" (opium)

Bulgakov "Morphine" (morphine)

William Burroughs "Junky", "Naked Lunch" (heroin, morphine & many other opiates, cocaine, amphetamines, barbs...)

Hunter S. Thompson "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas", "The great shark hunt" (LSD, amphetamines, etc...)

Aldous Huxley "Doors of Perception", "Heaven & Hell" (mescaline)

Terence McKenna "Food of the Gods" (DMT plants, Shrooms, etc...)

Some french litterature about drugs (some of it is surely translated in other countries":

Charles Duchaussois "Flash" (methedrine, morphine, haschisch...)

Charles Baudelaire "Les Paradis Artificiels" (haschisch and opium)

Henri Michaux "Misérable miracle: la Mescaline", "Connaissances par les gouffres", "L'infini turbulent" (mescaline, LSD, peyotl, haschisch, psylocibyn)

Taken from http://www.sunrisedancer.com/radicalreader/type.asp?iType=21

LIBRARY CATALOG — HALLUCINOGENS— LISTING Page 1

Title: Acid Dreams PDF Size: 1.3 MB
Author: Martin A. Lee, Bruce Shlai
Description: Acid Dreams is the complete social history of LSD and the counterculture it helped to define in the sixties. Martin Lee and Bruce Shlain's exhaustively researched and astonishing account -- part of ...

Title: Book Of Grass, The PDF Size: 1.0 MB
Author: George Andrews and Simon Vinkenoog, Editors
Description: Cannabis sativa (Indian hemp) and its products, marijuana and hashish-variously known as pot, weed, reefer, boo, tea, mezz, hash, or the "grass" of the title-is a much discussed and greatly ...

Title: Hallucogens And Culture PDF Size: 1.4 MB
Author: Peter T. Furst
Description: This book is an introduction to some of the hallucinogenic drugs in their cultural and historical context, stressing their important role in religion, ritual, magic and curing.

Title: Storming Heaven PDF Size: 1.6 MB
Author: Jay Stevens
Description: This is the story of LSD in which Harvard professors became holy men and a generation dropped out to seek spiritual bliss - only to find something darker. Storming Heaven is a riveting history of LSD ...

Title: Varieties Of Psychedelic Experience, The PDF Size: 1.2 MB
Author: R.E.L Masters and Jean Houston
Description: This is a sober and authoritative appraisal of what is currently the most controversial development in the study of human personality. The authors have spent a combined fifteen years in closely ...

You'll need Adobe® Acrobat Reader to read them.

All books are transmitted under the "Fair Use" rulings regarding the 1976 Copyright Act
for non-profit academic, research, and general information purposes.

Surprised that no one has mentioned "The Electric Kool Aid acid Test" by I think Ken Kesey and the merry pranksters has a lot to do with tim leary, , Hunter S., Hells Angel, Rolling Stones, about a road trip that the merry pranksters went on in a bus across seppo land and, well just trippin out ant involving periphical ppl in their trip. Havent read it for years, but should refresh myself about it again...