• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Drug most similar to alcohol

Synaps3

Bluelighter
I am looking for an alternative to alcohol. I want something that is low toxicity and can be used every night. I've seen a thread like this on here before, but it was pretty inconclusive and a lot of uneducated people were just throwing out random substances they liked.

Which one of these is most similar to alcohol? Any others that could be added to the list?
Also, could dxm (because of the NMDA receptor agonism) combat the stimulating ghb rebound?

Of these, I have only tried ghb, 2m2b and benzos. GHB is the best, but it's too stimulating when it wears off for me.

ghb (too stimulating when wears off)
dxm
clomethiazole
carisoprodol
kava
pregabalin
2m2b (lasts too long, feels shitty)
benzos (not even close to the same feeling)
barbiturates (can't get it)
chloral hydrate (can't get it and unhealthy)
qualude (can't get it)
meprobamate (tried the alcohol diol of it - shitty; can't get the real thing)

Yeah I was going to say GHB/GBL but looks like you've already considered that. But they are relatively safe so long as you don't overdo the dose.

I wonder why they're too stimulating for you...usually a GHB "hangover" is quite nice, actually. I always wake up refreshed and ready to rock after a night of G use.

Benzos may not be close, but they will more than help you hit your GABA receptors while not drinking. Add some quality kava to the mix and it will get even more sedative. nothing is perfect but if you want out that is a solid solution. good luck man

Kava/ kratom would both be good
Kava more then kratom kava is a herb that in higher doses gives simllar effects to alcohol

I'd say kava, since it has a quite low toxicity and isn't addictive. Not to mention, you don't gain tolerance from it (if anything, your tolerance decreases). In my experience it's not as euphoric as alcohol, but still very nice in its own way.

I am looking for an alternative to alcohol. I want something that is low toxicity and can be used every night. I've seen a thread like this on here before, but it was pretty inconclusive and a lot of uneducated people were just throwing out random substances they liked.

Which one of these is most similar to alcohol? Any others that could be added to the list?
Also, could dxm (because of the NMDA receptor agonism) combat the stimulating ghb rebound?

Of these, I have only tried ghb, 2m2b and benzos. GHB is the best, but it's too stimulating when it wears off for me.

ghb (too stimulating when wears off)
dxm
clomethiazole
carisoprodol
kava
pregabalin
2m2b (lasts too long, feels shitty)
benzos (not even close to the same feeling)
barbiturates (can't get it)
chloral hydrate (can't get it and unhealthy)
qualude (can't get it)
meprobamate (tried the alcohol diol of it - shitty; can't get the real thing)

I think you discard a substance too fast before you give it the chance to make friends with your brain. At first when you try a substance you may not get the best effects possible. You gotta give it some time for it to take hold. It looks to me like you tried these substances once, probably not even allowing for one substance to fully exit the system before trying another. So I don't know. Do you want something that works or do you want to prove something?

Gabapentin can make you feel pretty 'drunk'. Dosage varies greatly from person to person. Ive heard people feel high from 100mg.. Where as some people dont feel anything from even 900mg. I reccomend you start with 300mg every 30 minutes until you reach 1200mg. You wont trip hard on this, but it will be enough to feel the numbing, social, slightly dizzy, uninhibited, happy feeling that comes from gabapentin.
Given that gabapentin helps tremendously for opiate, benzo, and alcohol withdrawal, i think youll enjoy it quite a bit.

And yes, stagger your doses to 300mg every 30 minutes. This increases absorbtion and hits a lot harder than 900-1200 all at once. You can also take an Aleve/naproxen or two (increases absorbtion 15%,) and have a snack with each dose as food helps as well. You should start feeling the effects from the first dose about 1:30 to 2hrs later. Effects last 6 hours but you come down so smooth it feels like it lasts all day.

Not to mention gabby has much less risk of abuse/addiction.

the exact dose of ghb is similar to alcohol for about 30-45 minutes.

Took with lots of valium an OD'd, by that i mean i woke up face down on the floor 2.5 hrs later with my bong on the floor. Remember feeling really drunk and woozy and swaying all over the place before taking another valium and falling over

Kava is a good alternative. Yogi makes a bomb Kava "stress relief" tea & it's legal. Just be careful not to drink TOO much because it can kill your liver.

Thanks for all the info! It seems that pregabalin/gabapentin are probably the next on my list to try. I was considering Kava, but then found out it can cause liver damage at high doses just like alcohol and that is partially the reason why I want something else.

It looks to me like you tried these substances once, probably not even allowing for one substance to fully exit the system before trying another. So I don't know. Do you want something that works or do you want to prove something?

Not at all true. I've tried GHB, benzos, and 2m2b at least 10-20 times each.

I really like GHB and benzos just suck, but the only problem with GHB for me is the after effects. GHB would be perfect if it just didn't make me so stimulated/twitchy when it wears off. Does anyone know if an NMDA agonist would block the GHB receptor? I think this GHB receptor is why it feels annoying. It's been shown that GHB partially metabolizes into vinyl GHB as well as susinic acid and the vinyl has a 4x higher affinity for the GHB receptor which is what causes the excessive stimulation when it wears off.

Baclofen is the closest I have gotten.

Pregabalin and gabapentin have their own unique flavour and have a really long half-life.

So does GHB/GBL, although they get close, but feel better and have a more appreciative half-life.

Benzo's are nothing like alcohol, they feel great and last long, alcohol has such a short half-life.

Kava, taken in it's original manner, has you drinking a hell of a lot of it over many hours to get to the point where you are 'there' and it feels great.

Baclofen is the closest you can get to the dirty nasty feeling of alcohol, but then it also has a really long half-life.

Alcohol has a dirty feel... try drink petroleum or crude oil maybe (but as far as HR goes, don't - look at what happened to all the fish and mammals in the Mexican Gulf, when they drank their fair share)

Take care. Just drink alcohol and don't use any of the other drugs mentioned every night because they cause high physical dependency and nasty withdrawals. Alternatives to alcohol may simply not be there.

I have always found moderate to high dose of Xanax very reminiscent of the alcoholic experience. I slur my speech, found it hard to walk and tend to fall asleep spontaneously. Of course nothing really is like alcohol, it's a sedetive, painkiller, and antidepressant all in one. If I didn't get bad hangovers I would definitely indulge more often

Baclofen. I forgot to list that one. How would that compare to something like pregabalin?

Baclofen is the closest you can get to the dirty nasty feeling of alcohol
Alcohol has a dirty feel... try drink petroleum or crude oil maybe

LOL seems some don't like that "dirty" feeling. To me it feels great though. If anything GHB feels more dirty. I think I know what you mean though; its effects across the receptors are so broad compared to other drugs.

BTW This needs to be made. I wish I had the money for a custom synth:
ImagesHandler.ashx

Baclofen. I forgot to list that one. How would that compare to something like pregabalin?

LOL seems some don't like that "dirty" feeling. To me it feels great though. If anything GHB feels more dirty. I think I know what you mean though; its effects across the receptors are so broad compared to other drugs.

Pregabalin binds to the α2δ subunit of voltage-gated calcium channels in the central nervous system. Although, pregabalin is an analogue of GABA, it does not bind directly to GABAA, GABAB, or benzodiazepine receptors. [Source: Wikipedia]

Baclofen produces its effects by activating the GABAB receptor, similar to the drug phenibut which also activates this receptor and shares some of its effects. [Source: Wikipedia]

Simple search will tell you the difference... And it has been discussed so much on BL... The main difference being that Pregabalin as opposed to Baclofen and phenibut, does not bind directly to any GABA receptors, thus Baclofen is a better bet. But pregabalin feels so much better, so if you are simply looking for a good time, get pregabalin, although even in generic concoctions it is 10-15 times more expensive than baclofen.

EDIT: Baclofen lacks a lot of in depth discussion on BL.

^ Has effects similar to the relaxation you feel when you come out of an amphetamine binge and you get that well needed rest.

Alcohol is a small molecule that fits all holes, so I'm not sure if there is something similar to it. Like, if you're looking for something wetter than water I guess it's more productive to work out the definition of wet than to try and find something wetter.

I guess my own experience is that I don't want something to fit all holes, I only want my D2 hole to get a fit, nice and deep. I like to get that D2 throat nice and filled, I mean, for as long as my body is able to service the requests coming from the brain, I'm gona keep requestin! LOL