• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

drug induced psychosis?

hi guys,

amphetamine type drugs act on both the noradrenalin and dopamine areas in the brain. there is a theory that suggests that schizophrenia can be caused by excess dopamine production -- thus amphetamine binges can create temporary schizophrenia like symptoms. in addition lack of sleep can certainly make u feel loopy even without drugs!! haha..

some info i've found -->
The DA theory of schizophrenia

According to the DA (dopamine) theory,

schizophrenia is associated with increased activity at dopaminergic receptor sites
antipsychotic drugs exert their clinical effect by reducing increased DA activity.
which leads to predictions that:

drugs which increase DA activity should produce schizophrenia
drugs which decrease DA activity should reduce schizophrenia
Comparison of amphetamine psychosis and paranoid schizophrenia

Another clue that schizophrenia might involve increased dopaminergic activity was provided by the observation that people who take high doses of amphetamine for many days can develop amphetamine psychosis - a drug-induced mental state which could be mistaken for paranoid schizophrenia.

Although it is now clear that amphetamine psychosis and paranoid schizophrenia are not identical, the similarities between the states motivated research designed to explore the biochemical and behavioural effects of amphetamine in animals in order to understand the role of dopamine in behaviour and to develop medicines to treat schizophrenia

Pls check out this link for more info -- http://salmon.psy.plym.ac.uk/year1/schizophrenia.htm#schizophrenia_fact_fiction

furthermore - from personal experience its f*cking scary - and made more so if you have done anything *dodgy* in your means of acquiring the drugs -- however, if everything is cool and harmonious in your life - even if u do lose it - its a lot more bearable!!

god this happened to me today, binged for the dec/jan holidays, mostly weed, but with a couple of pills, alco etc, and now that ive stopped. woke up today totally gone loopy and beyond the normal state of mind, scary stuff

Another interesting thing to note that if a psychotic episode last for longer then 6 months it's regarded as schizophrenia. So Psychosis is just the short term version.

The dopamine theory of schizophrenia remains unproven, and numerous other theories are being considered at present.

BlackwaterPark: while there are some genetic links in schizophrenia and other mental illness', if you have taken pills on numerous occasions with no signs of psychotic illness, and you have no history of mental illness yourself, it would be unlikely you would suddenly develop psychosis now. If you really binged, then you would probably be at a similar risk to anyone else. Most people who end up in hospital with psychosis + drug use have been using cannabis and / or stimulants inc. MDMA. I don't think I've seen anyone with a mushroom related psychosis, I've heard of people with LSD related psychosis, but it isn't common.

A good resource on psychosis can be found here:vEPPIC - early psychosis prevention & intervention centre

drugs dont cause skitsophrenia.
they can trigger it but so could alot of things.
few tips about drugs: dont overenduldge & dont suddenly break a habbit.
in other words for both of those listed.. let your body slowly adapt to change.
ether ween your way on or ween your way off.