• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drivers will have their steering wheels randomly swabbed for traces of drugs in Tasie

New test to clamp down on drug drivers
MARK WORLEY
April 02, 2008 12:00am

DRIVERS will have their steering wheels randomly swabbed for traces of drugs by Tasmania Police in a bid to crack down on deadly drug drivers.

Police Minister Jim Cox yesterday introduced to State Parliament a Bill which will dramatically increase the number of people subjected to random roadside drug tests.

Tasmania will become the first state to give police officers powers to intercept and use reasonable force to enter any vehicle for the purpose of conducting a trace particle test on the vehicle's steering wheel.

If traces of illicit substances are found on the steering wheel, the driver will be required to complete a saliva test.

Police officers will retain the power to require a driver to submit to a saliva test even if a trace particle test is negative.

Mr Cox said the new tests could be completed in a fraction of the time, and for a fraction of the cost, of saliva tests.

The trace particle tests cost the State Government just 15c each and take 15 seconds to complete compared to the $30-$40 cost and five-minute timeframe required for an oral fluid test.

Nearly 300 drivers have been caught for drug driving since Tasmania began random roadside oral fluid testing for illicit drugs in 2005.

The figure represents nearly one third of the 1000 drivers who have been tested.

The device used to conduct the new tests is similar to those used to test for drugs in airports around Australia.

Tasmanian drivers cannot be charged on saliva tests alone.

If their saliva samples show positive, they must also have blood tests.

If this result is also positive, they will be sent a summons to appear in court.

Penalties are the same as for drink-driving.

Drivers refusing a test face a $500 fine and 12-month licence disqualification.

The Mercury

hope this law doesn't come into effect in NSW

Looks like steering wheel hygiene is soon to become a boom industry :)

I guarantee we will all see more of these. 15c compared to 40 dollars ? Pure economics always wins.

Good thing all i need now is some organic compound to break down my DOC

Last edited:
This law IS in effect in NSW if they suspect you at RBTs. And QLD.

I am sure if you gave your steering wheel and hands a once overing with alcohol swabs/baby wipes/damp cloth with soap (or combinations of those), then you could clean if up enough.

This is actually good news I guess, as I am assuming if you passed the steering wheel test they don't saliva test you?

cobra12au said:
I am sure if you gave your steering wheel and hands a once overing with alcohol swabs/baby wipes/damp cloth with soap (or combinations of those), then you could clean if up enough.

This is actually good news I guess, as I am assuming if you passed the steering wheel test they don't saliva test you?

As long as the drug is in your body it will be perspired out. So baby wipes wont do shit if its still in ur body. And as long as u wernt drivin like a nutcase they wont saliva test you if u give a neg on the steering wheel swab.

Buy latex glove stocks!

No-one has yet explained the technology that will be used with wipes. It's most likely to be Ion Mobility Scanning/ Mass Spectrometry, which is quick to perform, and can detect substances down to the nanogram level.

Cocaine detection in a university population by hair analysis and skin swab testing. Forensic Science International , Volume 84 , Issue 3 , Pages 75 - 86; D. Kidwell

Abstract

The ability to detect cocaine use/exposure by either hair or sweat analysis was compared in a random population of adults at a major US university. Sweat was obtained by wiping the forehead with a cosmetic puff containing isopropanol. Using cut-off levels for sweat of 2.2 ng cocaine/wipe and of hair of 0.05 ng cocaine/mg hair, sweat detected two times more cocaine use/exposure than did hair. Sweat analysis detected a use rate of 12% compared to a 6% rate by hair analysis, both greater than the 2% that would be expected in this population. The high rate of detection was surprising and suggests that use of, if not exposure to, cocaine is underreported. Controlled experiments showed that cocaine could remain on the skin for about 3 days after external exposure. At the current state of knowledge, sweat appears to measure both use and exposure. Nevertheless, sweat testing could be used in several scenarios (such as roadside driving while intoxicated) where the ease of collection and testing of sweat could outweigh the passive exposure considerations. Cocaine concentrations in skin swabs > 15ng/swab would appear to indicate recent use/exposure.

Bold added for emphasis; p_d

I'd expect there to be similar cutoff levels and perhaps even longer periods of detection with amphetamines, which generally have longer metabolic half lives than cocaine.

Edit: I also found this from NIST, which appears to be from 2006.

A series of practical experiments measured fingerprint IMS spectra as well as the linear dynamic range and detection limits of a series of illicit narcotics including cocaine, heroin, THC and methamphetamine. Typical detection limits for these compounds are in the range of 0.1-100 ng, which corresponds to the detection of a single particle with a diameter of a few micrometers.

Future Plans: NIST researchers will continue a series of experiments using additional IMS instruments in order to establish a recommended alarm threshold level for drugs, further optimize parameters for the detection of a particular drug of interest as well as characterize a list of potential sources of false positives.

If IMS is to be used, then the implications are huge. These devices can detect residues, perhaps even if the surface has been cleaned with alcohol etc. What needs to be remembered is that steering wheels are made of materials designed to absorb sweat, so as to enable a better grip. The first question therefore should be: Have "Recommedned Alarm Threshholds" been established in relation to the drugs tested for?

afaik, for the less expensive IMS/MS devices, only drugs for which the device is programmed for are detected i.e. only substances with the same charge/mass fragments. While more expensive devices are available that can associate particular mass fragments, say, as with amphetamine analogues, these machines are costly.

Maybe I've underestimated the level of resources available for this, but even so, I'd guess that initially at least, unusual classes of drugs or those not tested for with the oral swabs won't be tested for (there's probably also legality issues associated with adding other drug to the list). The more educated user then would quite likely turn to drugs with a very high potency, for which residues could fall outside the cutoff point, or use drugs which are novel or dissimilar in chemical structure to those tested for.

IMS/MS of course won't be able to distinguish between an amphetamine user with a script, and one using illegally. In the same way that dexamphetamine and selegiline users will test positive with oral tests, IMS/MS will also show a positive.

If (or when) these devices are universally employed, the advantages for LE will be considerable. Cars owned or driven by drug users, whether they're intoxicated at the time or not, would likely be identified as such by the test. Records would be entered into databases and associated with registration numbers, as is other legal stuff that's currently 'tagged' to the owner of a vehicle. So, if you borrowed your mum's car, had a spliff at a party, drove home hours after you were straight and got swabbed, chances are, even if you passed the oral test, your mum would find out sooner or later, either by being notified, or through being swabbed and tested herself, perhaps due to a rego check. With the expansion of intelligent camera systems, rego checks are set to increase big time in the near future.

There's lot's to think about here. I would imagine that once the steering wheel test has been in operation for a while, changes will be made to allow hand swabbing of drivers (defeating the use of gloves). Afterall, it's less invasive than a saliva test. I once predicted that unless reform occurs, we'd eventually see IMS devices installed in every shop doorway. That day now seems a lot closer..."excuse me Sir, but due to your positive reading when you entered the shop, you'll have to leave. I'm neither legally allowed to serve you, nor covered by my insurance if I do...."

Last edited:
phase_dancer said:
There's lot's to think about here. I would imagine that once the steering wheel test has been in operation for a while, changes will be made to allow hand swabbing of drivers (defeating the use of gloves). Afterall, it's less invasive than a saliva test. I once predicted that unless reform occurs, we'd eventually see IMS devices installed in every shop doorway. That day now seems a lot closer..."excuse me Sir, but due to your positive reading when you entered the shop, you'll have to leave. I'm neither legally allowed to serve you, nor covered by my insurance if I do...."

Ha, that reminds me of the time the sargent or whatever, some high up cop, was at a club or somethin wit a device to detect opiates, and his test came positive :p

Excellent post PD (as always!). There's certainly a lot to think about in regards to where this path of drug testing may lead us. I just hope the majority of people feel as scared and as unwilling to surrender their personal freedoms as I do. Tests that determine whether you are currently under the influence of a drug seem reasonable enough, but a test designed to find whether you've used drugs in the past few days or longer seems entirely unnecessary and invasive.

Last edited:
Flinch said:
As long as the drug is in your body it will be perspired out. So baby wipes wont do shit if its still in ur body. And as long as u wernt drivin like a nutcase they wont saliva test you if u give a neg on the steering wheel swab.

Buy latex glove stocks!

Ahh, I didnt consider this... Yeah, best thing would be to buy latex gloves I guess, and take them off as you are pulled over, a hand towel near by to dry your sweaty hands (as wearing gloves makes them terribly sweaty, or atleast for me) would probably be necessary to stop you raising suspicion with unusually sweaty hands.

So what happens if I buy, borrow or otherwise obtain a vehicle that has been used by a drug user. This new law really sucks, I think I would be inclined to refuse the test and cop the cost (damn, then they would probly try to make it a weekly occurence....)

bustabraincell said:
So what happens if I buy, borrow or otherwise obtain a vehicle that has been used by a drug user. This new law really sucks, I think I would be inclined to refuse the test and cop the cost (damn, then they would probly try to make it a weekly occurence....)

No, I think the lesson in there is to always lick your fingers before you drive....=D (and the steering wheel too apparently!)

Doesn't bother me, always found the melways on the glove box was much easier to do lines off. ;)

that would save them , they get your saliva and your sweat all for the price of the sweat! Maybe can do a deal and throw in some DNA for goodwill!
I agree with phase dancer, alarm bells should be ringing loud and hard. I originally thought that cops were not allowed into your car, without good reason to suspect etc... now it seems they are allowed to remove samples, with no good reason...therefore assuming guilt of a crime until proven innocent. This sucks big time people, and how long before they are able to get DNA from your steering wheel? No this does suck, and I am damn sure it is an invasion,of rights big time

bustabraincell said:
that would save them , they get your saliva and your sweat all for the price of the sweat! Maybe can do a deal and throw in some DNA for goodwill!
I agree with phase dancer, alarm bells should be ringing loud and hard. I originally thought that cops were not allowed into your car, without good reason to suspect etc... now it seems they are allowed to remove samples, with no good reason...therefore assuming guilt of a crime until proven innocent. This sucks big time people, and how long before they are able to get DNA from your steering wheel? No this does suck, and I am damn sure it is an invasion,of rights big time

Well, let me play devils advocate for a minute...As much as people are loathe to admit it, the LE are there to do a job. And they are allowed (and fully justified in my opinion) to conduct tests if they have 'reason to believe' that you may be under the influence of 'something'. Civil rights my ass, I'm thrilled they're out there saving my (and my kids, family and friends) asses from nodders and ping happy day trippers driving around on the road! I might be naive and blase' about alot of things, but if I'm driving whilst happily pinging off my head, then yeh, if I get caught that's my own fault... if you were caught for (suspected) pissy driving would you question their right to ask for a breath test? What if they saw you had a beer in between your legs? Do they have reasonable cause? We all know, it's rarely anybody who is on something looks like they're 'not'...

I can't see how a swipe test or a saliva test differ... if you're not 'in the wrong' then there's nothing to bitch about is there? Cars, roads, drugs, not a good match. As for your civil rights, get the fuck off my road if you're off your nut! On anything, fuck. My daughter just got her license, I don't want people on the road that are under the influence of anything while she's on her way to a rehearsal or a friends house, or college, or picking her sister up.

And by the time you bought begged or borrowed a car off someone and got picked up and had the steering wheel swiped, I dunno..... I doubt that would be an issue. I'd have to go back through case notes.. but I think you're flogging a dead steering wheel... It may take time for tests to prove it, but if it wasn't your drugs n DNA then it'd come out in the wash.

Oh, and if they want some of my DNA, just for old times sake, yeh go for it.... I'll give em my left cheek. =D

And cars are 'communal', so police are allowed in there aren't they? I thought it was only your bedroom and such private non-public access zones that were subject to different clauses of the search and seizure debacle?

Okay, rant over...... Resume normal programming. =D

(yeh yeh, I know my last post was flippant and nice..... but I'm a girl, I choose to change moods at will. )

Last edited: