• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Ketamine salts solubility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I'm back. I made a couple o changes to your molecule and named it...

1-methyl-2-(3,4-methylenedioxy-5-azaphenyl)-3-methyl-1,4-diazacyclopentane.png

LOVE'S
1-methyl-2-(3,4-methylenedioxy-5-azaphenyl)-3-methyl-1,4-diazacyclopentane

I'm hoping it will be lovely.

Of course, due to chirality (the molecule has 2 stereo center carbons as drawn), we are really looking at 4 molecules (2^n) here.
I hadn't started yet, but I'll bite:

Screenshot-20210227-084007.png

↑‘Jackie–Glycerin’
↓(New)
Screenshot-20210227-082944.png

↑…when you finish start one. Basic tropane.

Why a Columbia Neuroscientist Acknowledged Using Heroin

Carl Hart felt he had to ‘come out of the closet.’ He knew there’d be downsides.

By Tom Bartlett

FEBRUARY 26, 2021

NIGEL BRUNSDON, COURTESY OF CARL HART

Carl Hart, neuroscience and psychology professor at Columbia and “unapologetic drug user"

The stimulant hexedrone — known more commonly as “bath salts” — is the kind of drug Carl Hart believes would be ideal to take right before a hellish academic reception or departmental holiday party. He’ll do cocaine and ecstasy from time to time and is a fan of the opioids oxycodone and morphine for the “pleasurable calmness” they induce. But after a long day, there are few things that Hart, a neuroscientist and psychology professor at Columbia University, enjoys more than a few lines of heroin by the fireplace.

Hart has long pushed back against what he sees as the demonization of certain drugs and those who take them, particularly Black users, who are incarcerated at higher rates than white users. He has questioned the prevailing opinion that methamphetamine interferes with cognition and presented findings that suggest marijuana has minimal impact on the working memory of regular smokers. In his 2013 memoir, High Price: A Neuroscientist’s Journey of Self-Discovery That Challenges Everything You Know About Drugs and Society, Hart makes the case for decriminalizing narcotics and argues that “we’re too afraid of these drugs and of what we think they do.” In a 2014 talk at the TEDMed conference, he argued that “science should be driving our drug policy and our drug education, even if that makes you and me uncomfortable.”

In his new book, Drug Use for Grown-Ups: Chasing Liberty in the Land of Fear, the former chairman of Columbia’s psychology department goes a step further, revealing that he has used — and continues to use — a number of illegal drugs. In fact, Hart recently said on a podcast that he was on methamphetamine when he delivered that TEDMed talk and that he’s given some of his best interviews the day after using heroin. Hart, who is 54, tried heroin for the first time in his 40s and has used it regularly — and responsibly, he contends — for years. “I am an unapologetic drug user,” he writes. “I take drugs as part of my pursuit of happiness, and they work. I am a happier and better person because of them.” He is not, he writes, an addict, and his book is not about addiction. Hart says that his stressful recent stint as department chairman was more damaging to his health than any substance he has ingested.

Hart has been a drug-abuse researcher for roughly three decades and, over that time, there has been a remarkable shift in cultural thinking about which drugs deserve to be stigmatized and banned. Marijuana is mostly legal now in a number of states. Taking tiny doses of LSD and other psychedelics to improve mood is no longer a fringe idea. Ecstasy is being touted as an effective treatment for post-traumatic stress. But saying that you take heroin to unwind sometimes, or that bath salts might be employed as a social lubricant for awkward work functions, is unlikely to go over well even in more free-thinking circles.

Of course Hart knows all that. He’s made studying the effects of drugs and our attitudes toward them his life’s work. And he knows that some people will look at him differently now. He writes in the book about his fear of, as he puts it, “coming out of the closet” about his drug use, but at the same time he felt that he couldn’t continue to write and speak about the subject without acknowledging his own experiences. “I know the potential perils of putting yourself in a story like this,” he told me. “But I want to read people who have real stories and people who are exposed, who are being vulnerable when they write. Otherwise, I’m reading a textbook and I don’t want to read a textbook.” (He has, in fact, written a textbook and he says it “bores me.”)

Regarding those perils, Hart believes that, as a result of being open about his drug use in recent years, he has suffered professional consequences. There are awards that he believes he might have received — one in particular — but did not. It’s possible, too, that some of his grant applications have been turned down as a result of his candor, though given the closed-door nature of such decision-making it’s hard to say for sure. “I would like to try and live as honestly as possible and knowing what I know and not saying anything is unethical and that’s cowardly and I can’t do that any longer,” he says. “That’s far more important than any professional consequences. I may not get a grant, but so be it. I will be able to sleep at night.”

In the book, Hart throws a few jabs at Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Volkow is known for her research on the neurobiology of addiction and has written about the adverse health effects of marijuana. She has made the case that drug addiction is a complex brain disease; Hart has declared that phrase “catchy but empty.” He writes that some scientists believe that Volkow “routinely overstates the negative impact that recreational drug use has on the brain.” He calls her a “kingmaker” but adds that she’s “also seen by some as tyrannical.” Considering that NIDA’s annual budget tops $1.4-billion and that the federal agency is the largest funding source for research on drug abuse, there are obvious downsides to biting the hand that bankrolls you.

I emailed Volkow to find out what she thought about Hart’s portrayal of her in the book. She didn’t respond but a spokeswoman emailed back with links to information about addiction, overdose deaths, and treatment for substance abuse.

Hart’s book has received mostly positive press. He’s been featured recently in GQ and Vice News and appeared on Joe Rogan’s podcast. The Wall Street Journal called the book “provocative and enlightening.” The Ivy-League-prof-snorts-heroin storyline was also picked up by the New York Post, which led to some commenters on his Instagram calling him a junkie and saying that he’s encouraging kids to do drugs.

For the record, he’s explicitly not giving kids the green light to take drugs (note “Grown-Ups” in the title) and he writes that he’s also not encouraging those who are suffering from mental illness to experiment either. He’s making the argument that plenty of adults can and do use drugs responsibly and that while “peddlers of pathology” are quick to equate any drug use with addiction, the science suggests that isn’t true. Generally the feedback he’s received so far has been heartening. He points to commenters who have said they’ve been forced to re-examine their assumptions. “I feel like I hit the mark and I feel like this is a document that will be here for those people who feel persecuted and alone, even when I’m no longer here,” he says.

There are a few pragmatic questions that come to mind when a professor publicly acknowledges using using a drug like heroin. One is whether he’s worried about what others at his institution will think. “In terms of colleagues, I care less about what they think, particularly on this subject, because I’ve been studying drugs for 30 years,” he says. Another is the question of legality: It would be big news if a respected Columbia professor were to be arrested for heroin possession. Hart isn’t terribly concerned about that. “I didn’t say where I do whatever I do, because it’s nobody’s business,” Hart says. “I am very careful and anal retentive and I plan. You don’t get to write all of these books and scientific articles if you aren’t really organized.”
Another article: “I use heroin to be a better person.” — Neuroscientist Carl Hart.

1-(4-methylthioindole-3-yl)-2-dimethylaminoethane.png

JOSHUA [YESHUA]
1-(4-methylthioindole-3-yl)-2-dimethylaminoethane

Happy Purim!

CH3CH2CH2OH
1-propanol
No Excise Tax!

1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-2-aminoethane.png

PURE M, #96.
[HARE KRISHNA]
1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-2-aminoethane
Festival Of Lights!

1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-piperazine.png

BOOTY SHAKER
1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-piperazine

Last edited:
Gaffy, did you ask me if that was an active molecule in a reported post as an accident? I doubt it would be: I was just following Rectify's previous hand-drawn version. I was going to flip where the aryl groups were, as 2,3 positions having them would likely be active, until I noticed it was the other way around. Large substitutions at the 6,7 positions lower activity, at least for cocaine-like dopamine re-uptake inhibitors.

Gaffy, did you ask me if that was an active molecule in a reported post as an accident? I doubt it would be: I was just following Rectify's previous hand-drawn version. I was going to flip where the aryl groups were, as 2,3 positions having them would likely be active, until I noticed it was the other way around. Large substitutions at the 6,7 positions lower activity, at least for cocaine-like dopamine re-uptake inhibitors.
Fun

1-(4-iodophenyl)-2-methylaminopropane.png

JOE BIDEN
1-(4-iodophenyl)-2-methylaminopropane

N-hydroxy-1-phenyl-2-ethylaminopropane.png

HARRIS
N-hydroxy-N-ethylamphetamine

H-O-H, water.
DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE

1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-2-(hydroxyamino)ethane.png

YOCHEMOSE
1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-2-(hydroxyamino)ethane

1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-1-carbomethoxy-3-(1-piperidinyl)-2-methylpropane.png

NOCIOCIDE
1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-1-carbomethoxy-3-(1-piperidinyl)-2-methylpropane

1-(3-chlorophenyl)-2-ethylaminopropane.png

PARIS HILTON
1-(3-chlorophenyl)-2-ethylaminopropane

1-(2,3,6,7-tetrahydro-4-oxoindole-3-yl)-2-dimethylaminoethane.png

a FUN GUY
1-(2,3,6,7-tetrahydro-4-oxoindole-3-yl)-2-dimethylaminoethane

6-azabicyclo[4.3.0]nonane-3-yl%203,4-methylenedioxyphenyl%20ether.png

SESAME SAUCE
6-azabicyclo[4.3.0]nonane-3-yl 3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl ether

3-(1-azabicyclo[3,3,0]octane-3-yl)-indole.png

TRIPPER
3-(1-azabicyclo[3.3.0]octane-3-yl)-indole

1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-ethylaminopropane.png

EVE
1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-ethylaminopropane

N-(2-methoxybenzyl)-1-phenyl-2-aminopropane.png

STAN
N-BzOMe-AMPHETAMINE
N-(2-methoxybenzyl)-1-phenyl-2-aminopropane

N-(2-methoxybenzyl)-1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-aminopropane.png

GLORIOUS
N-(2-methoxybenzyl)-1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-aminopropane

N,N-diethylaminocarbonyl-2-acetoxybenzene.png

DIETHYLAMINOASPIRIN
N,N-diethylaminocarbonyl-2-acetoxybenzene
-possible NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug)

N-ethyl amphetamines are usually stronger than N-methylamphetamines, but the comedown is generally much worse.

1-phenyl-1-((4-trifluoromethylphenyl)oxy)-3-(methylamino)propane.png

PROZAC (fluoxetine)
1-phenyl-1-((4-trifluoromethylphenyl)oxy)-3-(methylamino)propane
-selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressant

1-phenyl-1-((2-methylphenyl)oxy)-3-(methylamino)propane.png

STRATTERA
1-phenyl-1-((2-methylphenyl)oxy)-3-(methylamino)propane
-ADD/ADHD medicine

methylbenzene.png

EDUARDO TOLUENE
methylbenzene

4-hydroxy-4-(4-chlorophenyl)-1-(3-oxo-3-(4-fluorophenyl)propyl)piperidine.png

HALDOL (haloperidol)
4-hydroxy-4-(4-chlorophenyl)-1-(3-oxo-3-(4-fluorophenyl)propyl)piperidine
-major tranquilizer / antipsychotic (D2 antagonist)

N-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)-2-chlorophenothiazine.png

THORAZINE (chlorpromazine)
N-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)-2-chlorophenothiazine
-major tranquilizer / antipsychotic (D2 antigonist)

1-(3-methylphenyl)-2-methylamino-1-oxopropane.png

3-MMC (3-methylmethcathinone)
1-(3-methylphenyl)-2-methylamino-1-oxopropane

1-(3-methylphenyl)-2-methylaminopropane.png

GREEN
1-(3-methylphenyl)-2-methylaminopropane

fromd the 12 hour, 6M HCl(aq) or NaOH(aq) hydrolysis of DEET insect repellant, followed by chromatography of fractional distillation und so weiter.

diethylaminocarbonyl-3-methylbenzene.png

DEET
diethylaminocarbonyl-3-methylbenzene

(2-dimethylaminoethyl)-(1,1-diphenylmethyl)ether.png

BENADRYL (diphenhydramine)
(2-dimethylaminoethyl)-(1,1-diphenylmethyl)ether
-antihistamine

(2-dimethylaminoethyl)-(1-phenyl-1-(2-pyridinyl)methyl)ether.png

DOXYLAMINE
(2-dimethylaminoethyl)-(1-phenyl-1-(2-pyridinyl)methyl)ether
-antihistamine

diethyl-ether.png

DIETHYL ETHER
CH3CH2-O-CH2CH3
inhalation anesthetic

2-methylamino-2-(2-chlorophenyl)cyclohexanone.png

KETAMINE (Special K)
2-methylamino-2-(2-chlorophenyl)cyclohexanone
-dissociative anesthetic

Last edited:
N-acetyl-2-carbomethoxy-aniline.png

DESIGNER GRAPE FLAVOR
N-acetyl-2-carbomethoxy-aniline

To be honest, I have no idea what it tastes like.

(E)-1-(3,5-dihydroxyphenyl)-2-(4-hydroxyphenyl)ethene.png

TANTALUS (resveratrol)
(E)-1-(3,5-dihydroxyphenyl)-2-(4-hydroxyphenyl)ethene

Entegen (E) is German for 'opposite.'
Zusammen (Z) is German for 'same.'

Last edited:
1-(4-iodophenyl)-2-methylaminopropane.png

JOE BIDEN
1-(4-iodophenyl)-2-methylaminopropane

N-hydroxy-1-phenyl-2-ethylaminopropane.png

HARRIS
N-hydroxy-N-ethylamphetamine

H-O-H, water.
DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE

1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-2-(hydroxyamino)ethane.png

YOCHEMOSE
1-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-2-(hydroxyamino)ethane

1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-1-carbomethoxy-3-(1-piperidinyl)-2-methylpropane.png

NOCIOCIDE
1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-1-carbomethoxy-3-(1-piperidinyl)-2-methylpropane

1-(3-chlorophenyl)-2-ethylaminopropane.png

PARIS HILTON
1-(3-chlorophenyl)-2-ethylaminopropane

1-(2,3,6,7-tetrahydro-4-oxoindole-3-yl)-2-dimethylaminoethane.png

a FUN GUY
1-(2,3,6,7-tetrahydro-4-oxoindole-3-yl)-2-dimethylaminoethane

6-azabicyclo[4.3.0]nonane-3-yl%203,4-methylenedioxyphenyl%20ether.png

SESAME SAUCE
6-azabicyclo[4.3.0]nonane-3-yl 3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl ether

3-(1-azabicyclo[3,3,0]octane-3-yl)-indole.png

TRIPPER
3-(1-azabicyclo[3.3.0]octane-3-yl)-indole

1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-ethylaminopropane.png

EVE
1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-ethylaminopropane

N-(2-methoxybenzyl)-1-phenyl-2-aminopropane.png

STAN
N-BzOMe-AMPHETAMINE
N-(2-methoxybenzyl)-1-phenyl-2-aminopropane

N-(2-methoxybenzyl)-1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-aminopropane.png

GLORIOUS
N-(2-methoxybenzyl)-1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-aminopropane

N,N-diethylaminocarbonyl-2-acetoxybenzene.png

DIETHYLAMINOASPIRIN
N,N-diethylaminocarbonyl-2-acetoxybenzene
-possible NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug)

N-ethyl amphetamines are usually stronger than N-methylamphetamines, but the comedown is generally much worse.

1-phenyl-1-((4-trifluoromethylphenyl)oxy)-3-(methylamino)propane.png

PROZAC (fluoxetine)
1-phenyl-1-((4-trifluoromethylphenyl)oxy)-3-(methylamino)propane
-selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressant

1-phenyl-1-((2-methylphenyl)oxy)-3-(methylamino)propane.png

STRATTERA
1-phenyl-1-((2-methylphenyl)oxy)-3-(methylamino)propane
-ADD/ADHD medicine

methylbenzene.png

EDUARDO TOLUENE
methylbenzene

4-hydroxy-4-(4-chlorophenyl)-1-(3-oxo-3-(4-fluorophenyl)propyl)piperidine.png

HALDOL (haloperidol)
4-hydroxy-4-(4-chlorophenyl)-1-(3-oxo-3-(4-fluorophenyl)propyl)piperidine
-major tranquilizer / antipsychotic (D2 antagonist)

N-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)-2-chlorophenothiazine.png

THORAZINE (chlorpromazine)
N-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)-2-chlorophenothiazine
-major tranquilizer / antipsychotic (D2 antigonist)

1-(3-methylphenyl)-2-methylamino-1-oxopropane.png

3-MMC (3-methylmethcathinone)
1-(3-methylphenyl)-2-methylamino-1-oxopropane

1-(3-methylphenyl)-2-methylaminopropane.png

GREEN
1-(3-methylphenyl)-2-methylaminopropane

fromd the 12 hour, 6M HCl(aq) or NaOH(aq) hydrolysis of DEET insect repellant, followed by chromatography of fractional distillation und so weiter.

diethylaminocarbonyl-3-methylbenzene.png

DEET
diethylaminocarbonyl-3-methylbenzene

(2-dimethylaminoethyl)-(1,1-diphenylmethyl)ether.png

BENADRYL (diphenhydramine)
(2-dimethylaminoethyl)-(1,1-diphenylmethyl)ether
-antihistamine

(2-dimethylaminoethyl)-(1-phenyl-1-(2-pyridinyl)methyl)ether.png

DOXYLAMINE
(2-dimethylaminoethyl)-(1-phenyl-1-(2-pyridinyl)methyl)ether
-antihistamine

diethyl-ether.png

DIETHYL ETHER
CH3CH2-O-CH2CH3
inhalation anesthetic

2-methylamino-2-(2-chlorophenyl)cyclohexanone.png

KETAMINE (Special K)
2-methylamino-2-(2-chlorophenyl)cyclohexanone
-dissociative anesthetic

Haldol's lethalbolite is 4'Chloro8phenylpiperidine, and it's created in the liver and brain, strong D2 agonist

^--I realize that. :/

1-phenyl-2-ethylamino-1-oxohexane.png

GUS ANDREW TARRANT (GAT)
1-phenyl-2-ethylamino-1-oxohexane
N-ethylhexedrone (NEH)

All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. A Stitch In Time Saves Nine.

1-(5-methoxyindole-3-yl)-2-dipropylaminoethane.png

EMILY
1-(5-methoxyindole-3-yl)-2-dipropylaminoethane

There Can Be No Other When We Still Have Each Other!

1-(3,4-diiodophenyl)-2-methylaminopropane.png

LARRY DAVIDSON HADDEN
1-(3,4-diiodophenyl)-2-methylaminopropane

Last edited:
CH3CH2Cl
ethyl chloride

Na+(Cl-O-)
sodium hypochlorite

1-(4-methylthiophenyl)-2-aminopropane.png

METROPOLITAN TRANSIT AUTHORITY (MTA)
1-(4-methylthiophenyl)-2-aminopropane

Handz Up, Thumbs Down Represent That Bean Town!

1,4-dimethoxy-2,5-bis-(2-aminoethyl)benzene.png

IZOD DOZI (Duesenberg)
1,4-dimethoxy-2,5-bis-(2-aminoethyl)benzene

A Streetcar Named Desiree

I'm in facebook jail for 3 days.

1-phenyl-1-ethyl-1-(2-piperidinyl)methane.png

HEMLOCK INSPIRED METHYLPHENIDATE (HIM)
1-phenyl-1-ethyl-1-(2-piperidinyl)methane

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Last edited:
1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-1-ethyl-1-(2-piperidinyl)methane.png

DON QUIXOTE DE LA MANCHA
1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-1-ethyl-1-(2-piperidinyl)methane

Thank you!

1,4-dimethoxy-3-(2-aminopropyl)naphthalene%20.png

SPACEBALLS
1,4-dimethoxy-3-(2-aminopropyl)naphthalene

9b6a23.jpg

Want S'more?

2,4,6-trinitrobenzene.png

THE H BOMB
2,4,6-trinitrobenzene

2,4,6-trinitro-1,3,5-trifluorobenzene.png

THE F BOMB
2,4,6-trinitro-1,3,5-trifluorobenzene

Last edited:
Implications of mechanism-based inhibition of CYP2D6 for the pharmacokinetics and toxicity of MDMA

Not a new paper, but definately demonstrates a valuable point. MDMA forms a carbene adduct (2 electrons get pulled off the methylenedioxy carbon) which permanantly binds to the heme iron on cyp2d6. This happens within an hour and lasts for 10 days. The authors say this effect is strong enough to make cyp2d6 polymorphisms not problematic when it comes to mdma dosing.

But you will be increasing the auc of any cyp2d6 substrate like many ssri antidepressants (or reduce the metabolism of prodrugs such as tramadol or codiene).

Status
Not open for further replies.