[DPT Subthread] Smoking DPT

Cat Again

Bluelighter
Welcome to the DPT smoking / vaporizing subthread

[Back to the Big & Dandy DPT Thread main page]

[original post:]

DPT really intrigues me.
My one experience with 60mg insufflated only brought me to a steady ++
After feeling that drip though im a bit reluctant to try that method again.
So here is my question:
To smoke DPT do i need to turn it into freebase (i assume what i have is the HCL)? If so, how do i go about doing this?
I'd like to add though i did try smoking DPT at ~10mg and felt a slight buzz. Perhaps just under +

Are the effects and duration of smoked DPT similar to oral or insufflated?

thanks for your help guys

peace,
cat

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure DPT freebase is sort of difficult to work with. IIRC it is very hard to recrystallize, it usually ends up being an oil-like substance.

To freebase it you basically dissolve it in distilled water, basify the water with something like sodium hydroxide, ammonia or maybe even baking soda, and extract the DPT free base with DCM or some other clean evaporating non-polar solvent. Then just evaporate the NP solvent and you'll have your DPT freebase.

Cool, thanks. Thats too complicated for me though.
Im guessing that smoking the HCL will work just fine since i got defintie effects at 10mg.
Does anyone know how the smoked dosage compares with the insufflated?

I found freebase DPT to be the most easy and cost effective way of administration. Just smear a little bit on an oil pipe or some foil and vaporize. This method works great. No burn from insufflation and its much easier to adjust your dosage, just take another hit.

But the best reason to convert it to a freebase is so that you can smoke some after peaking on various psychedelics. Expect some of the most intense visuals of your life. Much like DMT but slower. The body vibration from smoking the freebase can be extremely blissful.

DPT is one of the best psychedelics to combine with mushrooms. Smoking some at the tail-end of your mushroom trip will rocket you right back up and beyond. Great for another two or three hours of intense tripping.

I have found that DPT is best enjoyed IM at doses of around 80-100mg, dissolved in sterile saline solution. It is a very nice exprerience, with no pain at the injection site as is the case with other tryptamines(5-MeO-DMT for example) and a gradual come-up rather than the syringe droppingly intense (and at the same time exquisitely euphoric) IV route. The longer duration of action also appeals to me, the budget conscious psychonaut! I have found smoking DPT is a waste of good DPT(amount of profuct inhaled is too difficult to measure) and while i know some people shy away from more direct routes of administration, in my belief it is the only way to get a decent experience out of this so-called "flesh of God" psychedelic. Be good boys and girls!

why is smoking a waste?
it seems like the doses are very similar to insufflated and IM

On some forums they say that smoking DPT HCl salt doesn't work properly and that only the freebase is suitable for administration by this method. I've never found that to be the case and have always smoked the HCl salt with a dose/response curve bang in line with that given on Erowid for the freebase. (I'm not known for being overly sensitive to drugs either).

All I would say is that at higher dosages (>50mg) there's quite a bit of smoke, so you need to choose a method that ensures you don't waste any of it. And then hold your breath for a good long time!

I made freebase DPT with ease and it's very potent compared to snorting it. I took a test tube, a glass stirrer, some distilled water, and some sodium hydroxide. Calculated the correct weights for an equimolar ratio of NaOH : DPT HCl and put the correct amount of NaOH in the water. Dropped the DPT HCl on top of the water in the test tube, capped it, and shook vigorously for a couple minutes. Floating on top of the water was a dark orange waxy ball, like some earwax. It stuck to the glass stirrer when I touched it, and I wiped it off onto a piece of foil and smoked it to great effect. No solvents necessary.

If you want an easy way to convert your DPT Hcl, look of the recipe for making crack cocaine from w/ baking soda. People have had success with that.

thanks for the help guys
I think ill look into the crack cocaine method.

While you are still gonna trip if you smoke DPT, there is something more definate in terms of dosages when going IM, also once you have tried IM i couldn't imagine fiddling around with converting your DPT to the freebase and worrying how much was actually vapourised, this is especially true with a small amount of product b/n two or more people. My personal opinion only. Of course it might seem a bit 'hardcore' using needles etc but as i said it is very nice

well, im not of the opinion that using needles is "hardcore."
I've read many times that this is the best method for taking DPT. And perhaps in the future i will experiement with this method, as DPT is very intriguing and i want to see its many faces. At the moment though i am curious about the effects of the smoking route.
I will be experimenting with this method tomorrow night, starting at 20mg of the HCL. I will report the results back here.

I would convert the hcl to a freebase. I've tried smoking the hcl and the smoke is much more harsh and corrosive then the freebase. Also the effects were not as strong. Converting it is very simple, you almost can't fuck it up. The oil will float on top of the water. Just simply dab something in it and stick a small glob to some foil. You will figure out the right dosage quickly enough.

Well i went ahead and smoked 20mg of the HCl last night.
It produced a ++ on the shulgin scale.
I had minor visuals, both open and closed eye. And found the experience to be pretty euphoric. I layed in bed for the peak of the experience, which lasted about 30 minutes, and my mind would flow off into these incredible dreams.

Now i will try converting this to the freebase and taking a higher dose next time. Perhaps 50mg.

peace.

researchemist said:
While you are still gonna trip if you smoke DPT, there is something more definate in terms of dosages when going IM, also once you have tried IM i couldn't imagine fiddling around with converting your DPT to the freebase and worrying how much was actually vapourised, this is especially true with a small amount of product b/n two or more people. My personal opinion only. Of course it might seem a bit 'hardcore' using needles etc but as i said it is very nice

Your suggesting IM to someone who has never used it before? This is a harm reduction site.

IM presents risks in and of itself. Without proper injection technique you could hit an artery. Who knows what the purity of the DPT is. He could be injecting tons of impurities from a poor synth causing absesses and infections which might need to be amputed (if proper medical attention is seeked). The only drug which would be alright to suggest IM would be sealed vials of Ketamine and even that is a risk.

I had no intention of trying to persuade anyone to try methods of administration they weren't ready for. I was just giving my personal opinion as to which one gives the nicer experience with minimal fuss. My first experience with DPT was IM, with my belief at the time to be if I was going to bother doing this RC i'd like to do it in a way to maximise the benifits of the experience. If anyone thought that I was maliciously giving advice to "fuck up newbies" then i'm sorry. Besides, i think most people on forums such as this would surely know to take anything said with a grain of salt, particularly with regards to relatively unexplored RCs. They should only proceed with an unfamiliar substance when they are ready to accept the consequences, both good and bad.

P.S. I think the whole fear of "hitting an artery" while performing IM injections is very over emphasised in trip reports. Even if you did hit one, you would unlikely even know about it. I AM NOT A MEDICAL PRACTICIONER NOR DO I HAVE ANY QUALIFICATIONS but in my understanding arteries are very hard to hit, even when looking for them for certain tests (eg. arterial blood gases) in pathology collection. I think when people say in reports they think they hit an artery or blood vessel therefore the effect of the substance was increased is more likely to be a case of somebody not being prepared in their head for such an intense experience so that when it comes on they feel it MUST have gone into the bloodstream because it was so mind-blowing.

i went ahead and smoked 20mg of the HCl last night.
It produced a ++ on the shulgin scale.

Well to me it seems that smoking the HCl just works fine, no ?

Here is a report of a ++ with a "common erowid's dosage", wouldn't that mean that the HCl can be smoked ?

Why it couldn't work with it ? Does someone know the melting point of the HCl ?

Does someone have had any experience with smoking the HCl ?

Erowid said (but they don't precise if it's the salt) :

MELTING POINT : 174.5-178°C; (Ott) (sol. in water).

Also, according to the DPT Primer of Erowid :

A medium size female smoked 100mg of Hcl salt with a slight effect. (We have since confirmed with additional experimentation that the Hcl salt form of DPT does not work very well for smoking)

I find these report a little annoying considering that Cat Again got a ++ from 20mg of the HCl...

My last question : Is it really hard to work with the DPT freebase ?

Thanks a lot.

edit : thread allready covered here. sorry.

but :

I've always smoked the HCl salt and had a dose/response curve bang in line with the one quoted on Erowid for the smoked freebase. I then learnt how to convert HCl to freebase and did a benchmark test with equivalent doses of each (though washing up the HCl to freebase gives a marKed reduction in volume). I found the effects to be identical. My conclusions therefore are:

1. Smoking the HCl is every bit as effective as smoking the freebase for an equivalent weight.

2. The HCl produces much more smoke and it's pretty acrid. This leads some people to not inhale or hold the smoke properly, giving a diminished effect, leading to the conclusion that, for them,smoking the HCl does not work so well.

3. For high doses (>50mg) the HCl produces so much acrid smoke that the freebase is probably a better option (though I've smoked 70mg of the HCl successfully)
here

Last edited:
The mp of the fb is 48-50° if I remember that correctly.A vendor had actually a crystalline fb batch of dpt,its easy to work with it that way as the crystals are good to handle though they are a bit waxy.If its an oil,well,you lose a bit material when weighing out etc.,but its possible to work with (weigh it directly into the pipe etc.) as it is rather viskous.

Coolio said:
I made freebase DPT with ease and it's very potent compared to snorting it. I took a test tube, a glass stirrer, some distilled water, and some sodium hydroxide. Calculated the correct weights for an equimolar ratio of NaOH : DPT HCl and put the correct amount of NaOH in the water. Dropped the DPT HCl on top of the water in the test tube, capped it, and shook vigorously for a couple minutes. Floating on top of the water was a dark orange waxy ball, like some earwax. It stuck to the glass stirrer when I touched it, and I wiped it off onto a piece of foil and smoked it to great effect. No solvents necessary.

I tried the above tek with 1g of DPT HCl. This was my first (and probably only) chance at doing a HCl -> base conversion of DPT. I was left with a waxy froth floating on the water surface. I skimmed the froth onto a ceramic plate and then washed the waxy substance (what i assume is the freebase oil) with cold tap water. The oil stuck to the plate and I'd hoped this step would wash away what was left of the NaOH, but after repeated washings and 24hrs for evaporation I'm still left with a base that reeks of NaOH.

I've read that the boiling point of NaOH is 1,390°C, so would it still be a stupid idea to vaporize this Lye-smelling base off of tinfoil? I can't easily beleive that no NaOH would be inhaled... The only other thing I can think of is washing the plate again with white vinegar as a final neutralization process, but I'm not sure how the DPT will react with the vinegar.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
...if only I'd done 4.5hrs of research instead of just 4hrs, I would have found THIS thread and tried one of the easier teks... damnit damnit damnit :p