• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Down to 10mg methadone. Bupe not an option. Need advice

nogills

Greenlighter
Hey guys. I'll get right to the point. 2 years ago i started methadone maintenance at 70mg. I am now at 10mg. I am desperate to get off, however every thing I have found says to seriously consider getting on bupe once on a low methadone dosage. For different reasons, this is not possible for me. I know that many forums say to go down 10% MAX every blah blah , but my clinic only does 5mg per decrease. Honestly so far I havent had tooooo much trouble, but this last one (15 to 10mg) wasnt too great. I have researched getting oral syringes to do 1mg at a time but, I don't know. Would going from 10 to 5, and then 5 to 0 really be thatttt bad considering I haven't had that big a problem yet? I mean my last decrease was over 40% and it was not unbearable or anything. Also, I cant get prescribed any benzos or anything like that. MAYBE clonidine (the blood pressure med) but thats it. Just trying to find out what I am in for. Thanks guys!

The jump to zero is always the most difficult, methadone is a bitch, and on top of that, inducting bupe is difficult after methadone. If you can't get a weaker opiate to detox from, get down to the single digits..

-HS

The jump to zero is always the most difficult, methadone is a bitch, and on top of that, inducting bupe is difficult after methadone. If you can't get a weaker opiate to detox from, get down to the single digits..

-HS

So do you mean unless I do single digits by myself, its either pure torture or no hope?

It's not torture. I'm on a high dose 100+ and it depends on how long you have been weaning off of it. If they are doing a 21 day detox for financial reasons then yes it will suck.
However if you have been weaning down for a couple months the wds won't need that bad. Go down 1 milligram every 2 weeks or every week, depending on how you feel. When your down below 5 milligrams it gets much easier.
The biggest problems my program tells me is after coming off methadone your can become a little depressed, not feeling 'normal' that's due to the depletion of dopamine in you system.
Methadone has been giving us are daily dose of dopaine the pleasure chemical, so a little bit of depression is likley in the early stages of being clean. But it will get better!! Your almost there follow your doctor's advice at your program and you will be a new man dude.
Happy trails,
Nugz

it would be way better to go down 1mg than 5mg at this point. Dropping off at 5 is really difficult IME, and from other experiences, even low dosages like 2.5mg can be felt, so the lower you go before you drop the better. You could also try using kratom/loperamide/clonodine to help with you withdrawal symptoms if they are really bad when you drop off.