• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Dopamine Fasting

Pinkbeam

Bluelighter
“Dopamine fasting” has hit Silicon Valley, with some people in the area striving to reset their dopamine levels by completely abstaining from anything that brings them pleasure: smartphones, social media, Netflix, video games, delicious foods, eye contact during conversations, and — yes — even sex.

I was wondering who would be willing to try this, what your opinion is of it, and what items do you think you would have to restrain from?

Would something like this work if one was on antipsychotics or antidepressants?

The full article can be found here. Dopamine Fasting

this is some hipster shit if I've ever seen

lol that's what I was thinking.

No, I would not do this. I think avoiding chronic excesses of anything unhealthy or obsessive is good. Taking a break from or quitting drugs if you need to, that's a good thing. Avoiding eye contact and human connection, sex, tasty food? Fuck that shit.

I personally cut out social media / Netflix because I was wasting so much time on it, and have just about stopped using a smartphone in terms of anything but phone purposes and using Maps to get around.

As for food, sex and drugs those have to stay.

I personally cut out social media / Netflix because I was wasting so much time on it, and have just about stopped using a smartphone in terms of anything but phone purposes and using Maps to get around.

As for food, sex and drugs those have to stay.
Might as well say fuck it and go all out!

This sounds exactly like a vipassana meditation retreat (the free ones that anyone can access.) Especially the no eye contact etc

^^ Sure, absolutely. But I don't know how productive avoiding simple human stuff like tasty food, eye contact, and human connection are.

I think this will prove extremely fruitless. Tolerance is a bitch and as far as I know progresses and then enjoys a preserved level there. Periods of prolonged abstinence can radically reduced tolerance, but when exposed to the stimulus again it reverts almost immediately to the level it was at just before abstinence.

As far as returning neurotransmitter homeostasis, regular doses of a prolonged aerobic exercise (past 10 min) and a precursor like L tyrosine or phenylalanine is the way to go. It causes neurotransmitter production and regulation back to baseline levels.

I've fucked off to go live in the woods for months, or been in isolating institutions. Not connecting and interacting with people usually sucks and makes it harder to approach people afterwards

I've fucked off to go live in the woods for months, or been in isolating institutions. Not connecting and interacting with people usually sucks and makes it harder to approach people afterwards
Exactly.

“Dopamine fasting” has hit Silicon Valley, with some people in the area striving to reset their dopamine levels by completely abstaining from anything that brings them pleasure: smartphones, social media, Netflix, video games, delicious foods, eye contact during conversations, and — yes — even sex.

I was wondering who would be willing to try this, what your opinion is of it, and what items do you think you would have to restrain from?

I refuse to abstain from whacking off and using a cell phone or playing music and doing drugs.

Dopamine fasting sounds as fun as being a pilgrim on the Mayflower without the knowledge that drugs exist. If anyone needed methamphetamine it was the Mayflower passengers.

Isnt performing the act of a dopamine fast motivated behavior, which relies on dopamine.

Also dopamine is necessary for the initiation of movements, so for a proper dopamine fast one shouldn't move.

Actually I know exactly how to do a dopamine fast correctly. Simply mainline some mptp.

During certain periods, I've gone weeks without talking to anyone beside the mandatory "Hi." when buying groceries.
This was back when I didn't have a TV for two years, which was wonderful.
One of very few things that came from my addiction to heroin, was my desires for material things.
As a junkie, instead of buying the boxlogo Obey-hoodie or new sneakers, new headset, speakers, bags and shit for my apartment, I did like every junkie does and spent it on junk.

Nowadays, I could pack everything I own into a 110-liter backpack. The only thing I can't fit down there is my guitar and my books.
Except for my clothes, all I own is three moving-boxes of hardbacks and pockets, a beat up acoustic guitar, my laptop, my glasses and my shades.
So material shit wouldn't be a problem.

Each time I've dropped my smartphone, there's a small sigh of relief. Fuck that constant "you-always-need-to-be-reachable-24/7".
And social media - fuck that shit anyways. Since I dropped it (FB, IG, Snap, whatever) in 2015 I've never been happier.
Delicious foods - I spent a year on tuna/chicken/salomon with bulgur, tomatoes, spinach and pesto. Literally EVERYDAY, because it was the cheapest option. I've never been a foodie - I consider it a necessary evil. The time spent cooking and eating could be spent more productively.

Netflix & HBO - relics from being a stoner and sittin' in the couch all day.
Sex wouldn't be a problem either. Longest drought with nothing but my hands is like 1,5 years. Between 27-28 I fucked noone.

But drugs? FUCK. NO. Sobriety is a psychotic state of mind.

Thing is, eventually it's not fasting anymore. Eventually, you realize most of the shit you cling to is nothing but just that, shit.

I suggest detox from society, dropping off the grid - either by self-isolation in your apartment or going all Zarathustra and move into a cave in the mountains.

My apartment looks alot like Rusts in True Detective- I do have legs on my bed though, and there is a painting on the wall, instead of a television.

The hardest part to give up for me would probably be books - I get immense pleasure from reading, so I suppose that releases dopamine aswell, maybe?

How about yourself? What would be hardest for you?

^^ Sure, absolutely. But I don't know how productive avoiding simple human stuff like tasty food, eye contact, and human connection are.

To be fair, all the dopamine fasting bollocks I've read/heard about doesn't preclude human contact or tasty food. Maybe shitty food and copious amounts of sex with copious amounts of people.

It's mostly to do with internet-related shit as far as I can tell.

Isnt performing the act of a dopamine fast motivated behavior, which relies on dopamine.

Also dopamine is necessary for the initiation of movements, so for a proper dopamine fast one shouldn't move.

Actually I know exactly how to do a dopamine fast correctly. Simply mainline some mptp.

When I'm playing music I don't feel like I'm in opiate withdrawal at all. Literally at all. And it lasts an hour after I stop before I feel like total crap again.

It's probably the same for sports or anything fun really. The brain deprived of endorphins just wants some even if temporarily before it stops lashing out.

When I'm playing music I don't feel like I'm in opiate withdrawal at all. Literally at all. And it lasts an hour after I stop before I feel like total crap again.

It's probably the same for sports or anything fun really. The brain deprived of endorphins just wants some even if temporarily before it stops lashing out.

yeah for sure, playing music is, for me, the best drug. Especially playing music for a live audience who is really into it, and improvising with my band and really getting into it. Although solo is the second best feeling in the world.

When I'm withdrawal, though, I feel literally incapable of playing to even a quarter of my best. It's a head game though, if I force myself to do it, I actually do fine, not my best, but I feel such a profound lack of motivation/confidence to do so, so I tend to not play which is weird because it would make me feel better.

At set break or after second set at a show that went well, I am so pumped up with dopamine that I can't even talk to people, or if I do talk, it's a million miles an hour, it's a whole lot like really good coke, without a comedown.