• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Dopamine agonists to treat anhedonia and negative side effects of antipsychotics.

ShooShoo

Bluelighter
I’ve seen a few posts from different people saying these dopamine medications (eg. cabergoline) can completely reverse anhedonia from antipsychotics. Has anyone had any experience with this?
Don’t even know how I’d get a doctor to prescribe them if they’re not designated to treat this. I think I’ve also lost my inner voice from this poison too so hoping these medications can treat that, as one user mentioned

I gt ropinirole and has helped the RLS ALOT. my main gp said he wudnt of prescibed that for anti pychotic side effects procclidine what i asked for asm uncle gets it for olanzapine fifteen mg the ropinirole has helped but they do ake u a bit more loopy and compulsive and they have withdrawal similar to opiates without the cravings

They can help slightly with akathisia, depending on severeness of symptoms. The point of the invega was to impair your dopamine, so an agonist would be wasted until your neurons recovered

Those usually remit after six months. That sounds, and probably feels, like forever. But it's a drop in the bucket in terms of your whole health. Adding more chemicals to the mix like this isn't advised by the profession overall.

I have found out of all the antipsychotics I have had. Respiridone, Clozapine, Olanzapine, Sulpiride and Aripiprazole. Aripiprazole gave me no anhedonia. I know I harp on about Aripiprazole a lot, but for me it's been the most effective med with minimal side effects. I take 30mg with my med regime for bipolar disorder.

Studies find clozapine paramount, but experiences vary by the individual. The requisite blood tests can be annoying at first, but it's worth it for the effect I'd say.

Abilify is a great medication. They have a shot for it, too.

Studies find clozapine paramount, but experiences vary by the individual. The requisite blood tests can be annoying at first, but it's worth it for the effect I'd say.

Abilify is a great medication. They have a shot for it, too.
What does this have to do with anything? Why are you recommending antipsychotics? I'm talking about using dopamine agonists to stop the side effects caused by antipsychotics.

I’ve seen a few posts from different people saying these dopamine medications (eg. cabergoline) can completely reverse anhedonia from antipsychotics. Has anyone had any experience with this?
Don’t even know how I’d get a doctor to prescribe them if they’re not designated to treat this. I think I’ve also lost my inner voice from this poison too so hoping these medications can treat that, as one user mentioned

Surely they would negate the AP effects? APs block dopamine and a dopamine agonist would increase dopamine.
Ever taken amphetamine and an AP together? It's hell. They don't cancel each other out like you'd like. You end up very sedated and then suddenly your heart will palpitate very badly and you panic and 2 minutes later you're lethargic as hell and then suddenly your anxious with a crazy-fast heart beat again.
I imagine this would do the same.

^Experiences vary quite a bit, though. Also, there are tons of antipsychotics to the point of them just about officially being in different categories. Seroquel, abilify, and other relatively minor ones are best for bipolar, while haldol and risperdal tend to get used more for schizophrenia.

Antipsychotics (save clozapine) are effective because of how they limit the activation of the D2 dopamine receptor, that's the first generation. Based on individual drug, they also similarly block other dopamine receptor subtypes, and the atypical (2nd generation) antipsychotics do similar things to types of serotonin receptors.

Some say the "3rd-gen" is in not D2 being blocked, but D2 activity artificially kept within a ceiling and floor, so abilify and friend(s?)

By blocking D2, dopamine isn't blocked, but it is largely blocked from activating D2 (and others, there are like 15 antipsychotics). So it reroutes to other receptors.

The atpyicals are said to be easier to tolerate and maybe work on negative/cognitive symptoms because additional block of 5-HT receptors (mostly 5-HT2a) is said to stimulate dopamine in the higher thinking regions on the brain. 5-HT1a partials are associated with less anxiety. Blocking 5-HT7 can increase focus and reduce depression.

What does this have to do with anything? Why are you recommending antipsychotics? I'm talking about using dopamine agonists to stop the side effects caused by antipsychotics.

Abilify, Vraylar and a few other atypical antipsychotics ARE dopamine agonists/partial agonists.