• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

'Don't give us money': Homeless man says almost all cash given to beggars goes to buy

Breaking news we got from the inside here? But I give change if I have it, dnt care what they do with it. Shit already homeless a person needs somethin to get they the day.. Plus if ppl stopped giving change there would be more crime ya can assure that much

Is this guy Maori, or did he just get their facial tattoos?

At least he's being honest, and it's not like this is some secret. A lot of the people who panhandle and beg for money are not really homeless at all.

If given a choice I'd prefer he spent my meagre donation dollars on a nice bottle of wine from Beaujolais rather than more shitty face tattoos.

$20 goes a long way at a bottle shop, no so far at a tattoo palour

There are very few pakeha left in west Auckland.

When I was a kid the only folk with face tattoos were grandmothers and the homeless

If given a choice I'd prefer he spent my meagre donation dollars on a nice bottle of wine from Beaujolais rather than more shitty face tattoos.

$20 goes a long way at a bottle shop, no so far at a tattoo palour

It is true that tattoos seem exorbitant for someone without money.
But it's also true that homeless people are human beings, and therefore that they should have the freedom to pursue happiness.
When I give money to someone, I am giving them their choice in how to pursue happiness.
Although I was temporarily homeless as a child, I have never experienced homelessness as an adult, and I don't know what is needed to survive (or even thrive).
If this guy decided that tattoos were his best hope of surviving or of finding happiness, I have no problem with supporting him.

I am not going to pay for the tats, just giving him freedom to use my $1 how he would like - the freedom that richer people take for granted.

Giving money with no strings attached is a gift.
Everything else is just a way to accomplish what YOU want though someone else, a false facade of generosity hiding an attempt at control.

You're probably right, but they wouldn't have made it up, simply because they don't have too. They could just ask several people until someone gives them the answer they want, publish that one and ignore the rest.

Yep. Happens all the time. Plus if it was a homeless man, they could throw some bills his way and make the whole process even easier.

You really gotta be discriminate when it comes to which news sources you trust.

I have a tough time ignoring a homeless person begging for some spare change - especially if they look like they're in pain.

In an economy which prides itself as being prosperous because it's capitalist, and in which colleagues routinely stab their "friends" in the back if it means they'll get a promotion, perhaps I carry with me a little too much empathy for strangers who seem to be hopelessly suffering long term in one way or another.

I admit that I've handed over cash to people living in poverty despite the fact that my conscience was sounding the alarm that they'd use it to purchase a temporary escape from misery and hardship. So what? Who am I to judge their desperation for comfort because it comes in the form of a plant, powder or pill?

We've become so used to focusing on supply and demand of mind altering substances that the fundamental issues from which habitual drug use stems continues to be little more than an afterthought.

Trying to criminalize a person's preference of intoxicant in the hopes that demand shall eventually cease is, in my opinion, not unlike a firefighter's vain attempt to extinguish a burning building without shutting off any and all source-of-ignition utilities such as natural gas.

This homeless man's seemingly-bitter claim that the poorest among us typically use donated money to get high may seem like a sound reason to stubbornly refuse such charity in the future, but it's also woefully misguided; and, unfortunately might even provoke acts of crime as an addict's dire need to get a fix inevitably overrides all levels of inhibition and self-control.

Not all junkies shall end up committing a nonconsensual crime in which another party's (or victim's) rights were violated, but clearly there has always been a certain percentage who will cross the line which separates a secondary/victimless "crime" (such as non-violent possession of a controlled substance without intent to distribute) and its counterpart in which a non-consenting party was directly harmed in one way or another pursuant to the criminal code.

TLDR (Too Long - Didn't Read): Why did the blonde fuck the Mexican? Her teacher told her to do an essay. Thank you, I'll be here all week - try the meatloaf, good day.

I admit that I've handed over cash to people living in poverty despite the fact that my conscience was sounding the alarm that they'd use it to purchase a temporary escape from misery and hardship. So what? Who am I to judge their desperation for comfort because it comes in the form of a plant, powder or pill?

I agree with this. It is my choice to give them money, but it is their choice what to spend the money on. There really is no need to play moral police in this case - especially if it prevents a potential crime from being committed.

I agree with this. It is my choice to give them money, but it is their choice what to spend the money on. There really is no need to play moral police in this case - especially if it prevents a potential crime from being committed.

This is how I feel. I have been homeless before. That dollar may not mean that much to the person giving it, but it could mean the difference in being sick, hungry, and miserable to the receiver.

I volunteered at a counsel center for homeless man. If people had problems with substance abuse, it was mostly the prime reason for being homeless. WD's are a big problem for them, as they have to function. Without the safety of a home it gets easily very dangerous. Just imagine an Alcoholic going into withdrawal in the winter, without any shelter. Not only for medical reasons, but also they could get roped etc. They life mostly day by day and don't have the luxury to live on food stocks for a couple of days.

Personally i have no problem to give money, even knowing it will be used on booze and drugs. Food etc. can be sourced without money, but not booze and drugs. If people want to held and ease the life of a homeless for some time, they shouldn't worry what the money will be spent on. Also these people have dignity. They are no children, you tell what to spend money on. Connecting a good gesture to conditions is not very altruistic.

The last person I gave money to was digging through the trash at a bus stop. They weren't even begging, and I figured they most likely would spend it on food unless they were trying to find drugs in a garbage can.

I also figure if I make the choice to give someone money then it's up to them what they're going to spend it on. If you don't want them potentially spending it on drugs or alcohol you can always do like the guy in the article says and buy them a sandwich.

One thing is I absolutely won't give money to someone who I can tell is spinning a bullshit story. Just come out and say that it's for beer and I'll be more likely to make a donation than if I know you're lying.

Your the guy who gave me 5 euros? I spent it on weed thank you certainly much

Yeah. Be honest with me. I'm an addict, well recovered addict, but shit, I know whatsup. Tell me your short three on a ten spot and maybe Ill bring you up to ten.

I asked a panhndler a cold beer the other day and watched him drain it before I left the stoplight. Fuck it, its almost 100 degrees, I dont mind sharing.