• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Donating plasma the day after a week-long poppy seed tea binge?

Sleepdust

Bluelighter
I've searched everywhere for information on this but it's been very conflicting to say the least. I am scheduled to donate plasma today but I'm coming off a PST binge. I've never used IV drugs and don't look strung out really. It's my first time there. Should I disclose opiate use? And if so, would I be disqualified? My appointment is in a couple hours so I'll find out one way or the other, but it's a hell of a long drive to not get paid. Thanks guys!

I'm off now and I'll update as to whether or not I was able to donate today in case anyone finds his or herself in my predicament later on.

they will check it for such things and report you most likely esp if you in the usa

It's been a long time since I donated plasma, I know they ask you a bunch of questions. Like if you have traveled overseas, used iv drugs, gotten tattoos/piercings, blood transfusions, etc. They want to make sure you are in general good health. I was excluded one time because I was finishing a course of antibiotics and another time because I was anemic. Using most medications/drugs won't necessarily disqualify you. Hope it works out for you!

edit: from American Red Cross- http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-topic

I would be interested to hear if you have the sack to tell them the truth if they let you donate after all it is technically a homeopathic remedy (which you don't have to tell them about) and they have no problem letting people donating on certain pain medicine like vicodin or oxycodone, even kratom is okay. I've never gotten in trouble but I wait at least 48hrs between tea use and donating. I keep waiting for the hammer come down and being kicked out forever but they have never said anything. Supposedly a lot of opiate and amphetamine addicts donate while they're high and never get kicked out and other people have been kicked out for abusing DXM a couple days before so it might depend on the branch.

I'm back. I was disqualified for opiate use. They do a saliva test during intake and if you can't provide a matching prescription bottle for the opiate you tested positive for, you're out. Really frustrating.

guessed that would be they out come cant go transfusing contaminated blood

I would be interested to hear if you have the sack to tell them the truth if they let you donate after all it is technically a homeopathic remedy (which you don't have to tell them about) and they have no problem letting people donating on certain pain medicine like vicodin or oxycodone, even kratom is okay. I've never gotten in trouble but I wait at least 48hrs between tea use and donating. I keep waiting for the hammer come down and being kicked out forever but they have never said anything. Supposedly a lot of opiate and amphetamine addicts donate while they're high and never get kicked out and other people have been kicked out for abusing DXM a couple days before so it might depend on the branch.
DXM definetly does something to the blood, I believe it has to do with its viscosity, so that's probably why they wouldn't accept it. You won't get in trouble for saying u do drugs or if u test positive. You're trying to be a helpful citizen, they'll just be like no thank u if they dont want it. Be upfront so you dont waste their time.

I'm back. I was disqualified for opiate use. They do a saliva test during intake and if you can't provide a matching prescription bottle for the opiate you tested positive for, you're out. Really frustrating.

Must depend on the center then they've never done any kind of drug tests here.

Must depend on the center then they've never done any kind of drug tests here.

This one was in the ghetto/white trash area of town, had huge posters with "NO IV USERS" everywhere and claims that they tested for opiates, meth and cocaine use, so I wasn't surprised really. I definitely could visually identify other addicts there, some looked like they'd been strung out and on the streets for years, which is weird to me to think that they could get through intake. This place also pays the highest in town, almost double the other places.

This one was in the ghetto/white trash area of town, had huge posters with "NO IV USERS" everywhere and claims that they tested for opiates, meth and cocaine use, so I wasn't surprised really. I definitely could visually identify other addicts there, some looked like they'd been strung out and on the streets for years, which is weird to me to think that they could get through intake. This place also pays the highest in town, almost double the other places.

Tough luck. I'm curious are you deferred forever from donating plasma anywhere now or just for that appointment or that center, etc?

I have gone to plasma donation multiple times using PST and was never disqualified. This was in the past, somewhere in Texas. I mean, if there were no drug users, there would be no "donors". It may be different in other places, but here I have reason to believe that its mostly drug users, alcoholics, and/or the homeless. That is if you have a home address.

Yeah, was going to say that just like checking your Hcrit count for blood donation, they would test prior to plasma as well.

Tough luck. I'm curious are you deferred forever from donating plasma anywhere now or just for that appointment or that center, etc?

I don't think I'm permanently disqualified to donate. The woman in the intake booth told me I can setup another appointment "when I find my pill bottle", which obviously isn't going to happen. I would just have to wait until my saliva is clean.

Please always inform the clinic what you're using. I'm an IV plasma product user. Many of the plasma products are stupidly expensive, I would hate to see costs go up more because there's a contamination issue or something. Also us patients who use this stuff already are dealing with some big problems. If I end up needing FFP, the last thing I need having a problem because there's something unexpected in it.
I'm really glad people donate/sell plasma, as being on this has made a huge difference, but there is also potential for issues.

Let's say I've done an opiate 24 hours ago, I wonder how much would be found in donated plasma and if it would be worthless? I wouldn't want to waste someone's time to fuel my own addiction. I might be an addict but I still have some dignity left.

Check the blood/plasma half-life of the substance you're concerned about, calculate the time to get to nearly zero (10x) if you're super concerned or follow this:

Don't go in until you're 5 - 7x the half life without taking any more and you should be fine, and safe to others. Can someone who knows more than I contribute to help keep our blood/plasma supply as safe as possible?

Thanks...

I was very surprised to hear you were disqualified. There is a plasma donation place in my city and they do not test for drugs. Indeed as someone said, most of the donors are users who need money!!

The only thing they tell you is be hydrated and make sure you eat that day so your electrolytes (I think?) are ok, they look at that stuff but not drug use. You also have to have a vein they can hit and get a good flow from as you stay hooked up for like an hour

They process the plasma. It's not like it's going to affect the recipient (my sister is a quality control exec at a blood bank. That is what she said)