Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

DOF (15mg) - First Time - Distantly Dreamy

Buzz Lightbeer

Bluelight Crew
So yesterday I tried DOF for the first time. Since it's such a rare and mysterious substance I decided to write a small report on my experience with it. I'll preface it by saying I'm in my early twenties, have tried around twenty different psychedelics (of all sorts) and I seem to be just a little more tolerant to them than most people. My last ingested psychedelic substance was a trip on 2C-B and 2C-D 5 days before this took place. I figured DOF wouldn't be extremely psychedelic and my receptors would have 'recovered' enough to have quite the full DOF experience, but I have no scientific knowledge or anything to back this up, gut feeling and from experience.

They day started out great, quite sunny and warm for the winter. I woke up really early, and as often happens when I wake early and go outside, I get very excited and happy. On my second walk of that morning I decided it would be a fantastic time to finally try that DOF out I had been sitting on for a while. My plans were to go to a forest somewhere close to a friend, which was big enough to walk in for a couple of hours. I thought about the dosage, and settled on 15mg to be a good starting point for my purposes, keeping the context given earlier in mind.

11:40am (T+0:00) - I weigh out 15mg, put it in my mouth and swallow it with some water. Taste was better than expected, normally I hate the taste of chemicals but this one wasn't too nasty and didn't linger.

12:00pm (T+0:20) - I had packed my backpack with some stuff I might need (apples, a book, headphones etc) and I wrote a quick message to a friend informing him of my exotic plans. Only then I realized that the weather might not be as good the whole day, completely forgot to check it in all my manic excitement, but quitters are.... something, forgot how that saying goes, anyway. I leave!

12:15pm (T+0:35) - Quickly pass a store for some water. I feel a slight lightheadedness and muscle tenseness, waiting in line is annoying and that's exactly what I wrote down while waiting.

01:00pm (T+1:20) - Bike ride was eventful but not relevant, let's just say I should've definitely been there already if I weren't an absolute idiot. I'm still about 4 miles from my destination, and I stop to just chill and smoke a cigarette. I felt stimulated, hands a little cramped, jaw oh so slightly tightened. I already felt this was gonna be quite psychedelic, I liked closing my eyes very slowly and kind of place everything I was hearing, the sensation of hearing a car approaching and leaving you far behind was surprisingly pleasant for such an abrasive sound. Closing my eyes and ever so slightly rolling them into my head is something that feels pleasurable on pretty much every psychedelic for me.

01:20pm (T+1:40) - I arrived, quickly put my bike somewhere and rushed to on of the entrances of the forest, away from the wind, people and noise (the car sound sensation grew tiresome fast). My body feels nice and warm, not sweaty, just warm, the headspace hasn't fully developed yet but the same warmth is present in my head. The warmth makes it kind of dreamy and comfortable, not as powerfully stimulating as DOiP was for me and once well in the forest I'm walking really slow. I hated typing on my phone though, my hands felt cramped and I couldn't wait to finish whatever I was doing on there.

2:30pm (T+2:50) - I'm definitely tripping right now, I'd call this a ++ on the Shulgin scale. I don't know if you'd call this visual yet, but patterns stand out quite a bit and the ground and trees are morphing oh so very slightly. Around here I stopped feeling quite as good, when walking I didn't notice as much, but when standing still I could really feel the intensity of DOF, especially when closing my eyes. I was in a weird limbo between wanting to sit down and not wanting to sit down, between feeling great and not feeling so great. I felt uncoordinated and hampered both mentally and physically. DOF was peaking for sure. Apart from tightness in my jaw and fingers that don't feel as flexible as they do normally there doesn't seem to be much discomfort like muscle twitches, achy neck etc (common for me in DOC & DOiP)

02:50pm (T+3:10) - I'm sitting down and taking my due time to roll a cigarette. I write in my notes that I have no idea how to describe this headspace, but I'll attempt it anyway. It feels like there's a strong and heavy cloud just on your head, DOiP had this as well (I associate this feeling with DOC as well but it feels more natural and clean), but this one was even more hazy. I was especially intrigued by exactly how I was thinking, it felt like my brain was just producing ideas and I was picking them like apples from a high up tree or something. One here, one here.... I was following thought streams, but it was very random, I was not controlling it, some thoughts just popped up, and I'd repeat it in my head for a couple times, and then there suddenly was another than seemed to follow up on what I was thinking about earlier. It actually feels a little dissociating.
I could not for the life of me figure out how I normally think sober, and on psychedelics too, and I made a note of thinking today about how I actually think.

03:10pm (T+3:30) - Had to make a call, which sucked and felt rushed. There was a lot of tension in my jaws and I stuttered a little when picking up the phone. I'm still torn about the headspace at this point, I try to forget about it because focusing on thinking how I think is not gonna make me any wiser. I made a conscious effort to just let it be, and I concluded that while DOF imposed in harsh way on my thought processes, there is still value in being in another headspace than your everyday sober one.

03:50pm (T+4:10) - I consciously felt the intensity winding down a little but still a ++. By now I'm kinda tired of the forest (and it had been raining for 30 minutes already) and I decide to leave, but it wouldn't be me if I wouldn't get extremely lost. It took me over another hour to find my bike, luckily I was very much enjoying my own stupidity. Really wanted to go home and sit in my couch and listen to music so I took the speed up a notch or two.

05:30pm - 9:30pm (T+5:50 - T+9:50) - I got home, still tripping surprisingly hard. I fell down in the couch and stayed there for hours. I listened to music, watched some Bojack, talked online, and played cards online with friends. All physical (un)pleasantries kinda disappeared, but the clunky headspace still remained. I'll be honest, I was annoyed at it, I was completely beat and really wasn't in the mood anymore. Slowly but surely though I was getting into a vibe again, I read some heartbreaking stuff on Bluelight which brought me to tears, which in turn got myself really emotional about all kinds of things, but mainly the way I choose to live my life and my relationship with drugs. But in a very warm way :)

9:30pm - 01:00am (T+9:50 - T+12:20) - I took 2mg of etizolam, which is a lot for me but I needed to wake up early today so I wanted a knock out blow. Didn't turn out to be like that, and I continued wasting my time on my laptop.... DOF got overpowered by the benzo but there still were some remnants. Great last few hours.

Conclusion: Now that I re-read what I have written I don't make it sound too great, and too be honest, it really isn't thát great a drug when you compare it to the massive competition it has in the psychedelic world. But still, I had loads of fun thinking and talking to myself the whole hike, often repeating thoughts, saying something silly, and thinking about what I'd actually say in this report. I prefer the manic energy of DOiP to the more encompassing warmth of DOF, but I guess it's a matter of taste.

At this dose it lasts at least 12 hours. It can actually get surprisingly intense and isn't always very pleasurable, but at times it can actually feel really nice. I think taking this at home, and going for a small walk with music would've suited the drug better, there wasn't nearly as much stimulation as I expected and I missed music at the most intense hours.

My report is all over the place, as always, but I tried and I think I said most about what I thought about the drug. I feel like I'm underselling it a little though, just wanna say that I had a very cool day on it and if you're a phenethylamine afficionado it's certainly worth trying if you can get it.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_dof
substancecode_amphetamines
substancecode_phenethylamines
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the report, Buzz. :) It sounds like, for a change, you're more sensitive to DOF than I am. I found it quite placid and centering until I got up to 20 (or was it 22?) milligrams. And even then it wasn't mentally difficult, just physically a bit uncomfortable. It definitely isn't anything too special compared to its cousins. There are very few data points, though, so I'm glad you wrote this. What's weird to me is that a paper published where DOF was given to human subjects, at 6mg x 3 doses (so 18mg total, though not all at once) reported "nothing but simple stimulation", but that has not been my, or your, experience by any means. And the DOX that reminds me the moast of DOF, DOiP, actually was tried by Shulgin up to 40mg and he reported "absolutely no effects". Whereas I know that both of us experienced significant effects from half that amount. Hell, I got fairly strong effects from 5mg of DOiP. This led me to wonder if my material was not what it was claimed to be, but recently I got them lab analyzed and the DOF and DOiP are, in fact, what they're claimed to be. Since there are so few data points, it makes me wonder if the effects of these drugs vary quite profoundly between individuals. I can chalk up the reports of "simple stimulation" as opposed to psychedelia in the DOF study to the subjects being unfamiliar with the psychedelic state. But Shulgin most certainly was familiar with it, and was certainly a master chemist, and he didn't get any effects from DOiP. It's puzzling.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. :D

40mg of DOiP, jesus christ, 20mg was the most speedy trip of my life. No effects... I thought there was some guy claiming he took 100mg of DOiP and had the trip of his life lol.

There was, Nexus_Tripper (an old poster here). I was never sure if that report was legit, it was just a mention in a post actually, and that poster said some pretty wild stuff about really obscure psychedelics that made me suspect bullshit. However I don't suspect Shulgin of bullshit.

I have no clue based on reports how Shulgin could have experienced no effects from DOiP at that dose. He must have been hard headed to it for some reason.

Thanks for the report, Buzz! It's so good to get data points for these rare psychedelics.

I agree with you that DOF feels cloudy and is definitely (if so far nondescriptly) psychedelic. It's weird - your experience sounds a lot like my DOC underdose. That's not to say that it was an underdose! I mean that it sounds like the scaffold, the architecture of an experience that isn't quite fully realized. It also seems like setting played a major role in your perception of the experience, which you note a couple times. What we really need is more data points on this to really feel it out. We still don't know what a dose is for most people! Thanks again, this is a lot more information than we had just a few days ago.

I'm hoping to revisit it through insufflation, because it's easier to titrate the dose and is a bit less of a time commitment. It's just frustratingly hard to dust accurately, and I don't want to commit all of it to metered nasal spray.

I agree that at low doses at least it didn't feel like a gem, but I need to give it a proper trial. I corks definitely see the being an application for it once it's better understood. It feels pretty unique.

I mean that it sounds like the scaffold, the architecture of an experience that isn't quite fully realized.

I tend to agree with this, having tried it 8 or 9 times. I took it up to 22mg, but found it a bit uncomfortable at that dosage without much more in the way of psychedelic effects (but I did feel like it might have been about to become visual). At 12 or 16mg it was about equivalent (so much different than most of the DOXs, where raising the dose by a third produces a FAR stronger experience), and that was the ideal level. I haven't felt like revisiting it in quite some time, as there are materials that seem more worthwhile. I certainly have a lot left and will try it again. it was quite good for music playing enhancement, though not as good as some things. Probably my favorite application for it thus far is for working out/other exercise, though it would be nice if it was much shorter. It was also quite good for just general day enhancement, though again, I'd rather just take a low LSD dose (or some other things).

I find it very similar to DOiP (much moreso than anything else), but much more comfortable, and less psychedelic/intense, but similar in dosage. When I took 5mg of DOiP, once I smoked weed, I had a profoundly euphoric (though light) experience, but then when I took 12mg, it was quite emotionally difficult, and became much more so when I smoked weed.

I also find DOF and DOiP pretty similar to DOET, though I only did DOET the one time (I still have 20mg and I plan to try it again at a higher dosage sometime). DOET was more difficult than either as well as much longer-lasting, and probably more psychedelic too but in a very weird way that made me question why it was psychedelic, which is a feeling I've had on both DOiP and DOF. Additionally, DOET is also not very visual, it saturated colors for me but that was the extent of it. Contrast that with DOM and especially DOPr... those two are much closer to the halogenated DOXs, much more full-spectrum. I'm not a huge fan of DOM but it is definitely fully psychedelic and visual. DOPr was the most visual psychedelic I've done outside of DMT and ibogaine and it was profoundly psychedelic and wonderful and extremely comfortable, far and away the most worthwhile of the alkyl DOXs. I find it really interesting how the alkyls seem to vary so much, as opposed to the corresponding 2C-Xs which are all fully psychedelic (except maybe 2C-iP, hard to say given the almost total lack of TRs, despite it being available for quite some time)... and 2C-E is staggeringly powerful and the most overtly psychedelic of its class. And also interesting how DOF is so similar to them despite being a halogen technically, contrasted with the other halogenated DOXs which are all strongly psychededelic and visual. In fact fluoride seems to behave differently than other halogens across the board in drugs.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right. That's weird - fluorine has to go and be all special