• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does Tramadol actually work for anyone's pain, or enjoyment?

wayoutofdarkness

Greenlighter
I've been prescribed Tramadol as a "step down" from hydrocodone, which was a step down from oxycodone, for my pain following surgery. I know I've developed a tolerance as my surgery was about 4 weeks ago, but I don't feel like the Tramadol is doing ANYTHING for my pain, and I am wary to take more than 100 mg at a time.

I was taking 4-6 5 mg hydro/apap a day for a week or so, then dropped it down to 2-3 with no problems (except increased pain).

So I guess my question is - does Tramadol actually do anything or does it depend on the person? I'm really not looking to get high (though not opposed either); I just want some pain relief! And of course my orthopedic doc has stopped prescribing anything stronger per their protocol. I am relatively large (230 lbs) and feel like nobody is listening to me. Perhaps I just need to suck it up, but wanted to see what other folks have to say....

Thanks!

I've been prescribed Tramadol as a "step down" from hydrocodone, which was a step down from oxycodone, for my pain following surgery. I know I've developed a tolerance as my surgery was about 4 weeks ago, but I don't feel like the Tramadol is doing ANYTHING for my pain, and I am wary to take more than 100 mg at a time.

I was taking 4-6 5 mg hydro/apap a day for a week or so, then dropped it down to 2-3 with no problems (except increased pain).

So I guess my question is - does Tramadol actually do anything or does it depend on the person? I'm really not looking to get high (though not opposed either); I just want some pain relief! And of course my orthopedic doc has stopped prescribing anything stronger per their protocol. I am relatively large (230 lbs) and feel like nobody is listening to me. Perhaps I just need to suck it up, but wanted to see what other folks have to say....

Thanks!

Considering your size, I would say you need at least 3-4 tram to relieve pain. My doc said to take Tylenol at the same time bc it actually makes tram work better. Although it is much weaker, it is a different type of high. Personally I love it but I would be pissed to rely on it 4 weeks after surgery. If it doesn't help then call your doc and ask for something else.
Everyone is different, but my doctor continually insists not to take any more than 4 a day because people get addicted/& it gives some people seizutes. Hope this helps ?

I like tramadol and if you take 250mgs you wont be sick and youll feel like your on a decent opiate buzz. so yes its definately enjoyable not to feel like dirt especially after surgery. dont take too much for the siezure issue but i would tell you to suck it up this long into it. if you get red flagged for trying to get more stronger pills right now 4 weeks after itll suck trying to get anything ever again lol i know. but i dont want to down play your pain cause i have a broken back at 26 and it suckkkkkkkkssssss. no pain management for me cause im not 100% sure but 99% im red flagged for having been prescribed suboxone. if you really feel that bad then call in to get seen but be ready to fight for yourself as you feel no one is listening to you; they will try and disregard you. everyones different, im 130 lbs and 250mg of tram is fine but i wouldnt like 100mg what if feels like for you im thinking. id be right there with ya.

100mg of tramadol should be like 10mg of hydro ( but lasting double).
So theorically you have made a step up not a step down

Thanks everyone for their input and words of support. It certainly doesn't feel like it has a pain relieving quality for me, but as we all know, everyone is different! It never ceases to amaze me how different brains and bodies process drugs (and other things!) differently and sometimes even contradictorily.

I have another doc who will prescribe me hydrocodone (long story) but I am wary of long term use, also for obvious reasons. I also don't want to deal with the f'ing governmental regulations. More about that in another thread :)

Thanks again for your time!

Tramadol did nothing for me..Kratom is a much better choice for me

Tramadol gives like a speedy buzz, but then you have to watch your dosage because of Seizures. I'm on Subs so have taken them because for some reason they do synergyse with Bupe(aka you feel more opiated) but it's really speedy like. Anyway I have been having some pain issues latey so I was gonna get some to see if it will help. The subs actually help a little the first few hours but, just a LITTLE. But tramadol SUCKS by itself IMO, for pain and recreation. I'm just crossing my fingers that it will help mine if I get some.

It never ceases to amaze me how different brains and bodies process drugs (and other things!) differently and sometimes even contradictorily.

You are probably a low metabolizer. Tramadol needs to be converted to O-Desmethyltramadol which is much more strong in its pain-killing and recreational properties and some people just don't metabolize it very well (similar to Codeine->Morphine). This is why some people don't get much or even anything out of Tramadol and others love it.
Talk to your doctor about it or maybe try a slightly higher dose as 150 or 200mg.

Get well soon!

Whenever I take Tramadol I don't feel any relief from it at therapeutic does or euphoria/weak opiate effects from recreational doses. So pretty much it doesn't work for me at all, from doses up to 300mg. I refuse to go higher than that from watching a good friend of mine have a grand mal seizure while taking them.

Gabapentin can increase the seizure threshold though and also provide some pain relief.

Trams are very effective for both pain and enjoyment for me :).

I'm around 240lbs and 100mg is effective for pain and enough to give me a long lasting 'buzz'.

It's funny, for some people Tram works amazingly and it does nothing for others. Guess it depends on your brain. I had a love affair with tramadol, it washed away all my depressing and anxiety and I was HOOKED! The world was brighter and I felt like my old self. I wanted to go into the world and live. That's when I met my ex. I was so excited to live and go out with him and do anything. After a while, it turns on you and makes you mean and angry.

I was afraid I would never kick the Trams, plus I was in a relationship so I was scared to not be on Trams for the first time in my relationship. Kratom helped me kick my habit thank God. I don't even think about Trams anymore, but now it's another drug that's got me. Haha It never ends.

I love my Trams for pain relief and for recreational use. BIG WARNING: before I knew that it lowered the seizure threshold, I was also on 2 SSRI's for depression. Neither my doctor nor the pharmacy caught the drug interaction, and I had 2 grand mal seizures 2 months apart. One of them caused a car accident (thankfully no one was hurt besides me....I'm currently recovering from foot surgery).

This medication can be used effectively, but do so with caution.

Hell yeah! I love Trams! :D

It's true that it's milder than Oxys/Vicodin or Dilaluid, but it's still dope. (In both meanings ). TBH, I love it, because it's mild. I feel peace, that incredible warm feeling in my heart, and the opiates' own "everything's gonna be alright" mindstate, but I still can function. Last time I was on Tramadol, I spent 6 hours with playing on my guitar and singing old hippie songs. :D Wonderful times.

Smoking too much cigarettes while I was on Tram was a bad idea. I don't know why it just made me feel anxious as f. Nothing serious, but it was really uncomfortable.

(Mixing it with alcohol, Xanax, and Dilaluid at the same time was another one from my "not-the-greatest" ideas, but I guess there isn't another idiot like me who would do that :D )

I'm always surprised that people say Tram doesn't have any affect on them, but I guess it varies from person to person, for example Kratom doesn't have any affect on me, I even tried huge amounts, and nothing at all. (It's legal in my country, so it was high quality Kratom, no laced shit.)

I get enjoyment from it in low doses of only 10-20mg. It kicks my depression for the day.

I was a heroin addict, as well as all various opiates, then got clean. Stayed clean for over a year and a buddy at work had some trams. He gave me a couple 50s as I was hurtin (I'm a pipefitter with a blown out knee and two herniated discs down low. I was high as a kite in about 15 minutes, and stayed that way for the rest of the day. It may be worth mentioning that I don't drink any alcohol at all. So, to summarize, I think if you are sqeuaky clean, it can be as good a high as anything short of H or Ds. Trouble is, like many opiods or opiates, the tolerance builds up really fast, like a day or two. One neat trick, is to combine them with gabapentin, but not over the subribed amount, it's just a waste, and could be dangerous. Hope this helps, but most of all, be careful out there.Oh, BTW, I think you can still get gabbys on the innerwebs, maybe for Fido.

it didn't help my pain or get me high. It made me very nauseous however I would take more than prescribed. Opiates in general don't get me high I think. Tramadol 100mg, hydrocodone (Norco) in up to 30 mg, & oxycodone (Percocet) in up to 20mg. anyone know why that may be? & also, I'm new to Bluelight. How do I start a blog or thread of my own?

did 50mg tram today for the first time in a while. Usually i feel great and it and tons of energy. This was before i ever used anything else besides valiums. Now after a litle oxy run ( 10 days cuz i fell down th stairs ) and u-47700 use here and there. I dont feel a thing like i used to.

well damn it! lol