• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Does The "Shadow People" phenomenon have some basis in reality?

GaryGlisten

Bluelighter
This guy seems to think so. A very interesting interview with a health worker who dealt with many schizophrenics and other patients hearing voices.

Ita funny u posted this CUs I watched hours of scary paranormal stuff it doesn't even phase me in the fear sense I just love the atmosphere it creates

And yes ofc its in the realm of possibility ive seen things throughout my life that I could not logically explain.

Shadow people seem to have to do with the supernatural realm, certainly. And the supernatural builds upon the natural, so therefore I would say yes.

Given my strict belief in science and confidence in the explanations for what many consider unexplained, I'm of course gonna say no. I don't believe so.

It's strikes me as like saying that because many schizophrenics think they're hearing God, perhaps there really is an intelligence communicating with them. Though I'm sure some people wouldn't find that all that outlandish either.

Point is, just because multiple people experience a similar phenomenon with some kind of altered perception, doesn't make that perception in any way real. The similarity shouldn't be surprising because most humans brains operate in generally similar ways.

What it comes down to, is that we are far more disconnected from objective reality than many would generally believe.

Yes, they are real and I cannot stress this strongly enough: DO NOT LET THEM KNOW YOU CAN SEE THEM.
Don't ask why, just don't.

Given my strict belief in science and confidence in the explanations for what many consider unexplained, I'm of course gonna say no. I don't believe so.

It's strikes me as like saying that because many schizophrenics think they're hearing God, perhaps there really is an intelligence communicating with them. Though I'm sure some people wouldn't find that all that outlandish either.

Point is, just because multiple people experience a similar phenomenon with some kind of altered perception, doesn't make that perception in any way real. The similarity shouldn't be surprising because most humans brains operate in generally similar ways.

What it comes down to, is that we are far more disconnected from objective reality than many would generally believe.
Its ok to be scared jess

this.

I haven't watched the video, so maybe i will, but from what little i have heard about the ''shadow people'', if they are what i think they are, i think that they are a creation of the collective unconscious.

As a child i had nightmares about a ''shadow man'' who would torture me in my dreams, and my dad did also.

I asked him how that was possible as a child and he said ''the collective unconscious unites all people and that's why there are common mythologies throughout the world.''

My mother is a Jungian analyst and agrees.

There are reasons why certain religious and spiritual images appear in cultures across the world and throughout different time periods.

I don't generally believe in supernatural ideas.

I mean, there's things we can't explain, but i don't think they are ghosts or aliens.

Also, I and others have seen things like this as hypnagogic hallucinations and/or during sleep paralysis a.k.a. the universal similar images of the incubus and succubus.

I think people like to look to mystical otherworldly explanations when there's no need, seeing as these things can be every bit as interesting without their needing to be some kind of ''magical'' explanation.

I haven't watched the video, so maybe i will, but from what little i have heard about the ''shadow people'', if they are what i think they are, i think that they are a creation of the collective unconscious.

As a child i had nightmares about a ''shadow man'' who would torture me in my dreams, and my dad did also.

I asked him how that was possible as a child and he said ''the collective unconscious unites all people and that's why there are common mythologies throughout the world.''

My mother is a Jungian analyst and agrees.

There are reasons why certain religious and spiritual images appear in cultures across the world and throughout different time periods.

I don't generally believe in supernatural ideas.

I mean, there's things we can't explain, but i don't think they are ghosts or aliens.

Also, I and others have seen things like this as hypnagogic hallucinations and/or during sleep paralysis a.k.a. the universal similar images of the incubus and succubus.

I think people like to look to mystical otherworldly explanations when there's no need, seeing as these things can be every bit as interesting without their needing to be some kind of ''magical'' explanation.

Yeah well said.

I think the messy soup of magical explanation is best avoided by more precise wordings, more precise questions and combining data with intuition.

I feel that psychogeography & history in the area would definitely affect what meth users might experience. Compare the rural woods to a downtown area in major cities.

Maybe this is just for my own entertainment..maybe i just dislike reductionism that much :sneaky:

But proximity to woods/remote areas might be a fruitful area of study. Any future anthropological study of meth/crank history would have a chapter or three about the rural/remote environments in USA where it proliferated so strongly for decades. What i'm thinking is that nearness to nature/uninhabited zones affect the experience. Meth users already wander to the outskirts psychologically. I have a feeling psychogeography will be relevant to the forms they encounter while there. And more importantly....the way of interpretating different phenomena. Its pretty obvious that if you were from a generational rural dwelling lineage, there'd be subtle differences in the way you "see" a phenomenon compared to someone born & bred generationally in a city