• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does opiate tolerance ever really go down?

johnloperamide

Bluelighter
So for years 20mg of hydro would get me to heaven... I only used 3-4 times a year so it worked perfectly... But last summer I abused poppy seed tea for months on and off, going through WD and eventually quit altogether in September, used 4 times between December and January and haven't used since January 17th.... Now this last week I got prescribed some hydro and took 22.5mg a bunch of times and I'm getting almost nothing from it... Like, did PST really raise my tolerance that much and if that is the case how long is it till tolerance goes down if indeed it ever does?!.. I mean I thought that after 2.5 months and really like 7 months since Septmember that I'd be back to square one but I see I am not really.. Makes me so mad, damn PST

That's weird, usually a few months does the trick, but then again I've never relapsed on pills, so it makes sense that IV'ing some heroin would definitely get me high after a few months off all opiates/opioids. But in an answer to your question, yes it does go down, it can return to baseline but this can take many months, and even then, when you start using again, it doesn't take long for your tolerance to build up real fast. Sometimes I'll be able to get pretty high on relatively the same amount of (increasing it minimally if I want to get real fucked up) dope for a few months or two, other times, it's been my experience that within one week I'm back to shooting 80-100 dollars worth of heroin a day, and can barely afford to get high let alone well.

I agree with znegative, ef doest take years. at least not everyone. I used OC last month after about 6 months off and Im glad i assumed i wold need lower amount. I had a blast on 30mg incredible, it was unreal how 30 was enough I didnt need to bump it up, especially when I used to take 50-60 to even feel high. huge tolerance drop

I've found that even abstaining while on suboxone, that as long as I tapered my sub dose to 1 or 2mg a day, I could get really wasted off a ten dollar shot of dope after 5 or six months just using subs. I even once shot 30mg of oxy when I was injecting about a mg of suboxone a day, and I got faded as fuck. But this is only the case at dosages of 2mg and under IME, whenever I've tried to get high on heroin on dosages of 4mg and up of suboxone, I would either not feel it at all, or feel only 30% of the effects, and even after a week of giving up the subs for heroin, It would take a crazy amount of dope to get me high, which I attribute to being on a high dose of suboxone when I discontinued it.

Well, I guess I need way longer than that... I almost OD'd on PST last time I used and I will never touch that shit again... But I always knew I'd take hydro every so often when I could... but it doesn't seem to be working well, I took 22.5mg of hydro an hour ago and I do feel it a bit but it's nothing special

Not really.

I went to prison for two years and when I got out, I found 50mg of morphine IV smashed me. Then the next time (about a week later), I took 100mg. Two weeks later I was taking 150mg. Then 200mg. At which point, for economical reasons, I went on the methadone program.

But I remember when I was first experimenting with morphine, it took months to get to the 200mg level. And I was shooting 3 -4 times a week.

My point is our brains seem to have 'opiate memory', much like our bodies have 'muscle memory'. I can stay away from the gym for a couple of years and when I get off my lazy ass and go back, I can lift my maximum weight quite quickly, a lot quicker than it took to originally get to that point.

Peace :)

yeah it goes down real fast, faster than most other drugs. for instance i had a big dope habit (at least a gram/day) then i went to jail for a couple of months and when I got out two dime bags would make me feel as good as when as I first started.

Tolerance will go down in that you can OD quickly from your new first use of opiates after a long break but after the first few uses it skyrockets back up pretty quickly. If you're not waiting like a year though then yeah tolerance can stick with you especially from PST. I suggest dxm and magnesium and grapefruit juice, just regular doses of each the few days before and during you try opiates again and of course be careful as OD is always possible especially when using other substances.

Yes, but it will take a long time of abstinence. Years.

Yep and Shen you go back your tolerance will jump back up to its previous state very quickly..so it's basically not worth it..find another drug or just get clean

Yep and Shen you go back your tolerance will jump back up to its previous state very quickly..so it's basically not worth it..find another drug or just get clean

Not necessarily true. You can go back to opiate-naive level tolerance (i.e it won't go back up super fast) you just have to give it enough time. I had a two year dope habit that I quit cold turkey and didn't touch opioids for four years. When I did go back to opioids it was kratom - 1 gram would get me plenty high and my tolerance didn't go up any faster than it would have had I never touched H.

It is definitely possible to go back to baseline tolerance. You just have to wait twice as long as you used, at least in my case.

Last edited: