• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does Hylands Calms Forte work?

I have absolutely no idea what Hylands Calms Forte is.... But a quick google search tells me, no.

In a word, no. Anyone who says otherwise has experienced the power of placebo.

Actually, believe it or not, this is a homeopathic product that contains pharmacologically active amounts of compounds because they are only "1x" diluted. So if you take a couple, sure, they're probably more effective than placebo.

It's a mish mash of salts and other botanicals. Certainly not a diazepam replacer. But I'd say it's more than just a sugar pill.

I wouldnt go as far as to say it is completely useless maybe it is largely a placeobo or maybe some of the compounds contained within the plants have a small effect on blood pressure and some people can derive relaxation from it. I know my mom loves the stuff but I also know that no one here will get what they are use to because a lot of us now prefer the more intense substances and things like herbal mixes and teas will not produce effects we are trained to look for.

So though I do agree with everyone that it will not produce the effects that will satisfy drug seeking behavior it may help your relative relax.

Actually, believe it or not, this is a homeopathic product that contains pharmacologically active amounts of compounds because they are only "1x" diluted. So if you take a couple, sure, they're probably more effective than placebo.

It's a mish mash of salts and other botanicals. Certainly not a diazepam replacer. But I'd say it's more than just a sugar pill.

sekio said:
From what I've seen the Hylands shit is all just placebo garbage.

Some of them have traces of active ingredients (anything with "1X" homeopathic extracts...) but mostly they are sugar pills.

Hylands Nerve Tonic:

Calcarea Phosphorica 3X HPUS = calcium phosphate 0.1% w/w
Ferrum Phosphorica 3X HPUS = iron phosphate 0.1% w/w
Kali Phosphoricum 3X HPUS = potassium phosphate 0.1% w/w
Natrum Phosphoricum 3X HPUS = sodium phosphate 0.1% w/w
Magnesia Phosphoricum 3X HPUS = magnesium phosphate 0.1% w/w
In a base of Lactose (milk sugar), NF.

Oh boy, 0.5% active ingredients in a 200mg pill. None of which are actually close to active... sodium phosphate is also known as TSP, used to clean walls and stuff :)
Have a glass of cola (phosphoric acid) and a multivitamin/mineral and you've probably got 10x more mineral phosphates than a whole bottle of those.

The restless legs formula has:

Arsenicum Album 12X HPUS (1 part per trillion)
Lycopodium 6X HPUS (1ppm)
Pulsatilla 6X HPUS (1ppm)
Rhus Toxicodendron 6X HPUS (1 ppm)
Sulphur 6X HPUS (1 ppm)
Zinc Metallicum 12X HPUS (1 part per trillion)

Which brings us to a grand total of about 4 parts per million of any sort of "active" ingredient. That amount is a measurement error in real pharmacies. If you drink tap water you probably get more dissolved salts than that.

Also, elemental sulphur for restless legs? Whut?

lol

Hylands makes a bunch of stuff. They're bound to stumble upon one that's not shit eventually.

Avena Sativa HPUS 1X: (10% w/w oat extract)
Chamomilla HPUS 2X: (1% w/w chamomile extract)
Humulus Lupulus HPUS 1X: (10% w/w hops extract)
Passiflora HPUS 1X: (10% w/w passionflower extract)
Biochemic Phosphates (Calc. Phos. HPUS 3X, Ferrum Phos. HPUS 3X, Kali Phos. HPUS 3X, Mag. Phos. HPUS 3X, Nat. Phos. HPUS 3X): (see above thread)

There's at least 30% active ingredients in this formulation, which makes it a little better. The chamomile, hops, passionflower probably act as calminative agents and the magnesium salts used as "filler" do too.

I am unsure what oat extract is supposed to do?

Chamomile tea is really good. It works in a different level.