• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does hydroxyzine cause physical dependence?

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
Does hydroxyzine cause physical dependence? How long must u take it if so?Search results all give rehabs which also say catnip as addictive as crack so we all know we cant trust those rehab sites.

Academic papers so no. But want your alls advice.

Last edited:
Your experience may differ, but literally just last week I had a terrible reaction to hydroxyzine. It was effective for the first week at doses of 75mg-100mg for treatment of insomnia (falling asleep and staying asleep were my issue), but then completely lost its efficacy. After cessation I had a week+ of terrible trouble modulating my temperature correctly and have had to change my shirt like 3-4 times a day as I just sweat through them. I also experienced some minor rebound anxiety and of course, major rebound insomnia. I do not think it is habit-forming on the level of benzos or Z drugs, but I certainly don't think it's totally benign. I only used hydroxyzine for 1 week and it was absolutely not worth it. YMMV.

Here's my thread detailing the adverse side-effects I experienced if you're interested:

https://www.bluelight.org/xf/thread...ts-from-hydroxyzine-an-anti-histamine.893957/

Your experience may differ, but literally just last week I had a terrible reaction to hydroxyzine. It was effective for the first week at doses of 75mg-100mg for treatment of insomnia (falling asleep and staying asleep were my issue), but then completely lost its efficacy. After cessation I had a week+ of terrible trouble modulating my temperature correctly and have had to change my shirt like 3-4 times a day as I just sweat through them. I also experienced some minor rebound anxiety and of course, major rebound insomnia. I do not think it is habit-forming on the level of benzos or Z drugs, but I certainly don't think it's totally benign. I only used hydroxyzine for 1 week and it was absolutely not worth it. YMMV.

Here's my thread detailing the adverse side-effects I experienced if you're interested:

https://www.bluelight.org/xf/thread...ts-from-hydroxyzine-an-anti-histamine.893957/

I seem to be having the same sort of rebound anxiety. Only been on it for 2 weeks and have skipped many days. 25 to 75 mg per day.

I'm in a lot of pain so the anxiety might be from that but not sure.

Last edited:
I seem to be having the same sort of rebound anxiety. Only been on it for 2 weeks and have skipped many days. 25 to 75 mg per day.

I'm in a lot of pain so the anxiety might be from that but not sure.

Well, it was the only medication I was taking at the time and when I stopped using it, my negative side-effects have slowly lessened. It has now been 8 days since I last took it and I am only experiencing minor issues with excess sweating/temp modulation and insomnia now and no anxiety. It is sometimes used for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but typically at significantly higher doses (up to 400mg per day). It makes sense that it may cause some rebound anxiety; perhaps you and I are just particularly sensitive.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Perhaps talk to your doctor about using a different medication. For myself anyway, I will absolutely never be taking it again.

I took hydroxyzine most days for a month when I was at my detox retreat, to help me sleep. I never noticed any negative effects from it, it made me less drowsy than diphenhydramine actually, but it felt cleaner, too.

Well, it was the only medication I was taking at the time and when I stopped using it, my negative side-effects have slowly lessened. It has now been 8 days since I last took it and I am only experiencing minor issues with excess sweating/temp modulation and insomnia now and no anxiety. It is sometimes used for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but typically at significantly higher doses (up to 400mg per day). It makes sense that it may cause some rebound anxiety; perhaps you and I are just particularly sensitive.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Perhaps talk to your doctor about using a different medication. For myself anyway, I will absolutely never be taking it again.

So if I'm understanding you correctly you got these bad side effects after dosing the drug not having it leave your system?

Mine is the opposite I think. The anxiety leaves after I take it and returns when I stop.

So if I'm understanding you correctly you got these bad side effects after dosing the drug not having it leave your system?

Mine is the opposite I think. The anxiety leaves after I take it and returns when I stop.

They started after a week of perhaps developing a bit of tolerance and it wasn't working anymore. I decided not to up my dose anymore than 100mg. After I stopped it got slightly worse and then lessened over the past 8 days. So, same deal as you.

Never took this one, but being that its an antihistamine you cannot get a dependence. There will always be some rebound effects if you take it many days in a row. But no need to worry about a debilitating dependency when you stop.

Have taken diphenhydramine more than I like to say. No dependency. Taken quite a bit of promethazine and when its gone, its gone. Not something your body needs.

Be careful about this one.

It causes memory loss but it's very underreported. However--I noticed it with myself after using it a couple of days in a row. Not to spread hysteria! Just--potentially myself and others have noted this side effect. I don't think it's permanent and only while under the influence of the medication. It's just for something like anxiety it does a great job short term. However, maybe gabapentin could be more reliable? Not much information exists out there as far as the substance goes for long term anxiety treatment. And nobody should take what I'm saying as fact either lol.

I've had a script for years. Hardly ever take them now. They help with physical anxiety symptoms for me, like tightness of the chest.
The Dr. told me they aren't addictive and no one will wanna steal em out of your purse.
I can see someone getting dependent on them for sleep or something, but you can stop taking them at any time without withdrawal symptoms. At least, I've never had any.

I was prescribed this briefly at 75mg/night p.o. as a sleep aid, but it caused me serious gastrointestinal problems. The mild sedation is not worth the side effects profile IME. I know others have very good luck with it as a sleep aid, but it's not for me.