• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Does heroin ever cause you to have tremors or seizure like movements?

drchinacat

Greenlighter
I recently began IV'ng heroin again after about five months of abstinence from all substances.
I did only a small bit and found myself jerking uncontrollably. I chalked it up to my body being naive to heroin again and kept using.
My arms will not stop jerking and my hands throw things involuntarily. I've played with the dosage and nothing seems to help.
I took some gabapentin thinking it would help but seemed to make things way worse.
Has anyone ever had this problem with opiates? I live on the west coast USA so I use tar currently.

I asked my guy if he knew the cutting agents but he claimed to not know....

hoping this goes away so I can get back to being an under the radar user, it's just so obvious I feel like

Well I have multiple sclerosis so maybe that has something to do with it. It happens with high doses of opiates for some reason. I was just curious if anyone else had anything similar happen to them. I tend to be sensitive to drugs while at the same time able to build up a very high tolerance to heroin despite the rather bizarre side effects it causes.

Opioids can cause jerking and such, and can also make motor tics work.

They have some anti-cholinergic effects, and morphine is especially physical.

W/ MS, I'd be careful. Shaking uncontrollably however is an odd reaction, and, really, I can't advise you continue. Of course tar contains plenty of impurities, if you could get ahold of some powder, then a small test dose could be useful.

Good luck, and I'm sorry

Opioids can cause jerking and such, and can also make motor tics work.

They have some anti-cholinergic effects, and morphine is especially physical.

W/ MS, I'd be careful. Shaking uncontrollably however is an odd reaction, and, really, I can't advise you continue. Of course tar contains plenty of impurities, if you could get ahold of some powder, then a small test dose could be useful.

Good luck, and I'm sorry

How are they anticholinergic when they release histamine and make you itch? anti-cholnergics are anti-histamines that make you not itch and block histamine reactions.

But yeah dude- you have M.S. it is a degenerative nerve disease... You will have tremors probably.

Usually when I get close to nodding I get random strong spasms even enough cause me to throw my Xbox controller across the room although that's only happened a few times. Usually it's like my body's starting to relax than I feel a pinch in my spine and end up having a full body jerk originating in my lower back. I haven't been able to figure out the cause due to drs ignoring it and it's actually not been an issue recently, but for a while it was really bad

Usually when I get close to nodding I get random strong spasms even enough cause me to throw my Xbox controller across the room although that's only happened a few times. Usually it's like my body's starting to relax than I feel a pinch in my spine and end up having a full body jerk originating in my lower back. I haven't been able to figure out the cause due to drs ignoring it and it's actually not been an issue recently, but for a while it was really bad

I started getting these on methadone and was diagnosed with myoclonic jerks/seizures, I ended up on 8mg daily of klonopin.

Not sure why it is, i read somewhere that certain opiates can cause this, but it ruins good high because as you relax or nod its like getting a mild taser shot.

After detox of all drugs they go away.

I get stomach spasms when I do too much. Then with some batches, I'll get these random spasms where I'll drop the remote or cell phone.

The most scary spasms in the head, kinda like the back of the heaf muscle spasms come from this dark batch. It's weird, kinda like a seizure without a seizure.

I can deal with spasms, it's HISTAMINE I hate.

Same thing happens to me. I'll be trying to use my phone and I keep dropping it or throwing it. My boyfriend screams at me to put the damn phone down but I'm so high I'm trying to read and do whatever. He has no idea I'm high, kid is 38 and never even done coke. Meanwhile I'm a hardcore heroin user and he thinks everything is due to my MS

the weird spasms are are the worst though, completely ruins the high at times

When I relapsed in rehab on Heroin.. the following day my hands were shaking.. tremors.

Not seizure like shaking though..

Same thing happens to me. I'll be trying to use my phone and I keep dropping it or throwing it. My boyfriend screams at me to put the damn phone down but I'm so high I'm trying to read and do whatever. He has no idea I'm high, kid is 38 and never even done coke. Meanwhile I'm a hardcore heroin user and he thinks everything is due to my MS

the weird spasms are are the worst though, completely ruins the high at times

The spasms are FAR FAR FAR more likely to be caused by ms than opiates. Not the lack of concentration, necessarily.

How are they anticholinergic when they release histamine and make you itch? anti-cholnergics are anti-histamines that make you not itch and block histamine reactions.

But yeah dude- you have M.S. it is a degenerative nerve disease... You will have tremors probably.

Opioids have mild anti-cholinergic like properties. It's been documented.

It is true most 1st generation antihistamines are anti-cholinergic, and most of the "classical anti-histamines" in particular can have side effects at moderate doses, and of course they are delirients at absurd doses.

Hydroxyzine AKA Atarax/Vistiral U.S
(Note that Vistaril is Hydroxine Pamote; Atarax Hydroxyzine is Atarax, which is more water soluble, AFAIK) is the exception; it has neglible anti-cholinergic effects, and that among other things makes it awesome and my favorite anti-histamine.
People go on promethazine, which is potent, but it is also a strong anti-cholinergic,(like DIPHENHYDRAMINE and DOXLYAMINE, which are of course the best OTC anti-histamines (in the US, which is silly. Promethazine maybe I could understand, as it is a strong anti-cholinergic, and a lot of people have the wrong idea, but Hydroxyzine is practically harmless, as even intentional abuse is fairly benign.

Yet 2nd generation anti-histamines(most so called"non drowsy" brands) have little, if any affinity for the appropriate receptors.

Point is, not all antihistamines are anti-cholinergic.

And likewise, the effects of opioids vary. I said they had some anticholinergic effects, and have been classified as weak anti-cholinergic.

I agree MS is a part of it, could be the core reason.

But, it would be a whopping coincedence if opioids had nothing to do w/ it, when they trigger/make symptoms worse, and are known for known for sometimes having those effects.

Morphine, in particular, and Diamorphine(H) being a pro-drug for morphine and MAM, are very physical opioids.

Oxy might cause slightly cause, or likely other opioids better suited to your condition.

However, if H is making MS worse, you really need to stop. Whatever it takes.

It's called Catatonia. Your dopamine gets very high and you are so frontal dop fille

I wish it was easy to stop, Lorne. It's a paradox. Using heroin to ease the pain and annoyance of MS but the MS reacts in a negative light. I have to pick and choose which symptoms I want to deal with at this point.

Opioids have mild anti-cholinergic like properties. It's been documented.

It is true most 1st generation antihistamines are anti-cholinergic, and most of the "classical anti-histamines" in particular can have side effects at moderate doses, and of course they are delirients at absurd doses.

Hydroxyzine AKA Atarax/Vistiral U.S
(Note that Vistaril is Hydroxine Pamote; Atarax Hydroxyzine is Atarax, which is more water soluble, AFAIK) is the exception; it has neglible anti-cholinergic effects, and that among other things makes it awesome and my favorite anti-histamine.
People go on promethazine, which is potent, but it is also a strong anti-cholinergic,(like DIPHENHYDRAMINE and DOXLYAMINE, which are of course the best OTC anti-histamines (in the US, which is silly. Promethazine maybe I could understand, as it is a strong anti-cholinergic, and a lot of people have the wrong idea, but Hydroxyzine is practically harmless, as even intentional abuse is fairly benign.

Yet 2nd generation anti-histamines(most so called"non drowsy" brands) have little, if any affinity for the appropriate receptors.

Point is, not all antihistamines are anti-cholinergic.

And likewise, the effects of opioids vary. I said they had some anticholinergic effects, and have been classified as weak anti-cholinergic.

I agree MS is a part of it, could be the core reason.

But, it would be a whopping coincedence if opioids had nothing to do w/ it, when they trigger/make symptoms worse, and are known for known for sometimes having those effects.

Morphine, in particular, and Diamorphine(H) being a pro-drug for morphine and MAM, are very physical opioids.

Oxy might cause slightly cause, or likely other opioids better suited to your condition.

However, if H is making MS worse, you really need to stop. Whatever it takes.

For anticholinergics - I prefer chloropheniramine it's a ssri- binds to SERT as much as the antidepressant Imaprine, and more than several others. And binds dopamine at only about ~2 times less than cocaine.... And it only has a ~1.5hr half-life which I prefer. - the stronger of the classical anticholinergics (Except for possibly bromophenarmine which isn't in the usa)

Agreed that you cam't abuse phenergan or hydroxyzine, but the do work at some other receptors than OTC anti-histamines.

OP- maybe do subutex for a few days and see if it's the heroin that's causing it?

Last edited:
Subutex caused the same issues! Granted the same side effects weren't as bad as when I was on heroin.

For what it's worth, I've had these type of symptoms on both heroin and oxycodone. I only know one other person who has experienced this. Both of us have seizure disorders. Mine are temporal lobe seizures and hers are as a result of recently-diagnosed Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy, which in rare cases can manifest in adulthood. I think if you have certain neurological issues (like the MS you mentioned), opioids can trigger unusual effects.

For anticholinergics - I prefer chloropheniramine it's a ssri- binds to SERT as much as the antidepressant Imaprine, and more than several others. And binds dopamine at only about ~2 times less than cocaine.... And it only has a ~1.5hr half-life which I prefer. - the stronger of the classical anticholinergics (Except for possibly bromophenarmine which isn't in the usa)

Agreed that you cam't abuse phenergan or hydroxyzine, but the do work at some other receptors than OTC anti-histamines.

OP- maybe do subutex for a few days and see if it's the heroin that's causing it?

The last part, OP. M. Vick is right.

Morphine is well known for being a very "physical" opioid. Oxycodone and hydromorphone could be better be choices(if you can afford them); I KNOW H is cheaper) or, even methadone.

Really, buprenorphine is your best option, as a very potent, yet partial agonist opioid. You would need 14h q/out H though, or at least a good 12h, if, and only IF you are already in moderate WD, and DO NOT have a very high tolerance.

Good Luck, man