• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does GHB feel like a benzo?

Branggen

Bluelighter
Ive been reading up on it a bit and from what ive read it works on the gaba receptors mainly like benzos. So, is the feeling much different?

yes it is.
it makes you horny. it makes you extremely horny.
if you do too much of it people start act like they're demon possessed. can't control their limbs etc.
overdosing is pretty easy, compared to benzos.

No it doesn't feel like a benzo to me.

It feels fuzzier and more intoxicating, like alcohol. The inebriation is much stronger and impossible to hide unlike with benzos. The disinhibition is perhaps more benzo like in that it is stronger than alcohol. Im more likely to do or say things i wouldn't normally do while on GHB and benzos (as opposed to alcohol).

And like alcohol it can cause nausea, though GHB causes much more nausea than alcohol for me (alcohol doesn't make nauseated even at high doses).

I would agree with negro, it’s not like a benzo really. It’s a very intoxicated, drunk like feeling. It would leave me warm and fuzzy, almost wanting to roll around on the ground.

GHB is hard to explain but it sure is a hell of a lot of fun

But yes it does make you super horny, it’s the only drug I felt increased my penis size (by over an inch)

Last edited:
I’ve mixed it with meth several times, but never done it alone. It takes the edge right off, increases disinhibition from either drug alone I think, and it’s a fantastic combo in general for sociability. I’ve expressed some really deep reflections on my life and life in general, made connections I wouldn’t have otherwise. It’s good for sex too but it’s the best for hanging out and just talking about anything. My take anyway.

It’s that “I love you man” drunk feeling except full clarity and meaningful.

Negro and I are almost always on the same page with shit, this being no exception. Benzodiazepines only make me feel "good/happy/euphoric" if I need them. Seizures, extreme anxiety, stimulant comedown etc. are some examples. Otherwise, they just "numb".

Gamma Hydroxy Butyrate (GHB) is really a different animal. I can only compare it really to Barbiturates or Alcohol or Diethyl Ether (drank) off the top of my head. It doesn't just numb you, it gets you high. It really promotes socialization, sex, music etc.

I dont feel that Benzodiazepines and GHB can be easily compared based upon subjective opinion. Its worth noting that Benzodiazepines are also much safer in an overdose situation, all things being equal.

I've never heard of or seen GHB but thank you for the description. Being a benzo fan...it sounds fun!

Doctors should prescribe it to people with sexual problems and low sex drive as GBL made me want sex where as normally I think sex is overrated crap and don't even bother very often, ah I miss GBL not had it in over a decade, I can get GHB but it's expensive and much weaker and as I've got a benzo tolerance I would hardly notice its effects, and at the price it's on offer at I'm not risking it too see if it works lol

It's definitely different to a benzo, and it's different to alcohol it's its own drug, it's good for raving too, rife on the gay sceane, which was how I got into it, gay mates did it, I fucked an ex in a club on it once, that's how horny it makes you, and it also makes you lose inhibitions, so why not get bent over a balcony in a gay club getting shagged while watching a gay man suck his boyfriend off as he watched you

No, it's a completely different experience. It bears some resemblance to soma and what I'd assume barbiturates (from reading others reports). Benzos can tend to be almost imperceptible. I can only "feel" benzos because of my incessant high anxiety. Once they kick in I essentially feel "normal", But I must say that delusions of sobriety are a real thing. If used in reasonable dosages you won't be a slurring stumbling mess yelling "I'm totally sober" at family members on thanksgiving. So benzos aren't exactly recreational.

GHB is another beast. It is highly recreational and produces strong effects. It's like it retains all the good elements of alcohol, but unlike alcohol there is some euphoria and it's pleasantly tactile. It's not liquid mdma or anything but it can increase levels of empathy and sociability.

I used to be addicted to gbl for a while and it's not a good place to be. Benzos and gbl can cause some of the worst withdrawals known to man so be careful. It's so cheap and easy to take cap full after cap full, but then you get to a point where your waking up Every 1-2 hours shaking uncontrollably trying to redose. That and the threshold for coma land is such a fine line. I've passed out so many times in public and made a fool of myself. Also, I crashed my car on the freeway and I have no recollection of it. Fortunately no one was hurt. That was 8 years ago and I still experience guilt and fear over the recklessness of that particular incident. I've learned a lot since then.

Excuse my digression, your question brought up a lot for me. But yeah GHB is it's own deal. Oh yeah and it does make you really horny.

As others have said, it's not very similar at all. GHB is way more euphoric and recreational than benzos. Also, it works quite differently, GHB is an agonist of the GHB subtype of GABA receptors, as well as GABA-B, whereas benzos primarily act as positive allosteric modulators for GABA-A.

For me it felt like alcohol without any of the nausea or negative aspects that come along with a night of heavy drinking. Lyrica gave me a similar type of experience