• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does DXM reduce Aggression?

Eisbaer

Bluelighter
On a previous post, I heard someone say that Sigma-1 agonists can help reduce aggression or irritability. Based on this list on Wikipedia, it says that DXM is a Sigma-1 receptor agonist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma-1_receptor

However, DXM is a dissociative, and I believe dissociatives would usually increase aggression. So would DXM have any potential in reducing aggression at low or mid dose ranges?

I would say it depends on case to case. It can cause an extreme change easy, but whether or not that's good or bad is another story. Whether it will reduce or increase aggression is again a case by case basis and more based on experience during effect vs effect itself.

I had taken moderate low doses of DXM before. My most was 80mg pure DXM, with a shot of wine and 1/4 of a "special cookie". After a long intense night, the next day I was very irritable at work, and snapped at a few people, then 20 minutes later I was happy as can be.

I would say it depends on case to case. It can cause an extreme change easy, but whether or not that's good or bad is another story. Whether it will reduce or increase aggression is again a case by case basis and more based on experience during effect vs effect itself.

If the trip was a positive, calm experience, can it lead to a reduction in aggression after the trip?

I had taken moderate low doses of DXM before. My most was 80mg pure DXM, with a shot of wine and 1/4 of a "special cookie". After a long intense night, the next day I was very irritable at work, and snapped at a few people, then 20 minutes later I was happy as can be.

If I understand tacodude correctly, maybe your trip was too intense? The combo may have also had some unforseen effects on aggression; especially I've heard that alcohol may increase aggression.

If you have aggression issues, I generally would not suggest DXM. I would speak to a physician .
I’m not saying things cannot help. DXM just doesn’t seem the goto drug for aggression issues in general.

If you want to try a sigma agonist for aggression issues, ask a psychiatrist for a script for Opipramol.

I would strongly advise against the use of DXM for this purpose, especially in recreational doses.

If you want to try a sigma agonist for aggression issues, ask a psychiatrist for a script for Opipramol.

I would strongly advise against the use of DXM for this purpose, especially in recreational doses.

If you have aggression issues, I generally would not suggest DXM. I would speak to a physician .
I’m not saying things cannot help. DXM just doesn’t seem the goto drug for aggression issues in general.

Why exactly do you believe that DXM isn't good for this purpose?

I am not specifically speaking of a trip.... I'm talking long term the f difference in how the drug affect affects you and how your life experience affects you as they both can affect one another, which makes it very complicated. Imagine one influencing the other changing the way the first one acts stopping what caused the initial action in the second one. It becomes an infinite loop in itself yet there is still external effect. To make it simple it's really not that simple every even with things that might not even have heavy or even any CNS affect at all.

I'll put it this way... Someone has bad inflammation. They are given an NSAID. The inflammation goes away. Euphoria sets in from pain relief. Does that mean the NSAID causing euphoria? No it just played a role in triggering the relief that l caused it.

^^ that cleared things up a bit.
Eisbaar, DXM has characteristics that can go south in the wrong direction. You need a through understanding of this chemical before seriously considering using it off label, especially when trying to balance emotions with it.

I wouldn’t use it for that purpose.

I always found DXM to be highly unpredictable. At relatively low off-label or "recreational" levels (for me at 190lbs, that was somewhere around 60-100mg) it *usually* put me in a better mood, but just a little too much could send me into a paranoid, self-conscious hell trip! It has a pretty steep dosage response curve in that respect. (That's why users refer to its effects as "plateaus"; It can go from one level to another very easily, and that's not always a good thing.)

I can't even use it for a cough anymore because I've had too many bad trips on it. Just a little bit of that dissociated feeling sends me into a mini-flashback 8o

I'm not sure about dissociatives as a whole, but I'm sure that it depends on both the substance and the user. PCP ("angel dust") in particular has a reputation for making users extremely violent in a way that ketamine doesn't (although it's still possible), and I believe that they're both categorized as dissos.

I'll have to look into that Opipramol myself. I suffer from rather severe mood swings (including aggression but thankfully not very much and never physical), sometimes two or more in the same day. I've tried countless meds over the years (Paxil, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Seroquel, Risperidone, Lexapro, Remeron, Adderall, Xanax, etc...), but most of them are either too strong or don't do anything at all. I've been looking into a bunch of things from lithium to Latuda, but I won't get any more off-topic here :)

Take care and stay safe!!!
Dreamflyer

I tried it, and it does seem to work. I just took it at night, and stayed as positive as I could, listened and watched to some good uplifting music and videos.

Only downside is that my mind becomes really sluggish and I have a hard time concentrating the next day. Also, there is a problem with delusions in the afterglow phase, such as if I talk or write something, and read it back, I'll realize that it doesn't make any sense. So I decided to not speak to anyone the next day after a trip.