• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Does Benzo tolerance ever really go down?

Dr.Mambo

Bluelighter
I'm 21. Been prescribed benzos since I was 16 so my tolerance was pretty high. In February of this year I went into a sober living house for nine months and tapered off them. After I got out I went back to my Dr and got prescribed them again. It seems like my tolerance hardly went down at all. If it does it goes right back up or I have to drink a few beers to kick them in.

Nine months you should be almost at baseline again, however as we all know we have different bodies (mine is one of the only 2-5% that gets awful RLS when taking dph lol).

In my experience it will go down, but yes it takes an extremely long time.

I don't know how experienced you are with mixing benzos and alcohol but be careful when you're tryna have fun buddy. You wanna keep havin fun :) When I did this daily for a long time all it did was increase my tolerance for both, got very severe and had to detox in a hospital.

Before I finish let me just say I can no longer use any benzo for anxiety pretty much. I took them for recreation for a very long time and once you do that, they just don't work for anxiety the way they used to - my experience only.

Stay safe,
-MF4M

This is HIGHlLY dependent on what benzos you are talking about, including dose levels and length of time using each kind. It's also HIGHLY variable from person to person. For example, I used benzos(mostly clonazepam and alprazolam) recreationally for years before I developed a permanent major health issue which resulted in me being prescribed clonazepam and temazepam for the past 7 years, which I take as prescribed(or at least no more than I am prescribed in a day)....and you would think that I wouldn't be able to use benzos anymore given my extensive history with them, but actually, BOTH my prescribed benzos are working about the same as they did as when I was first prescribed them(they work fairly well) with no increase in dosage.

I have, however, experienced rising tolerance levels and periods of time where benzos didn't seem to work for me anymore back when I used them recreationally, but all I had to do was stop taking them for 2 to 4 days(or just take less for 2 to 4 days) to lower my tolerance back down to where it was.

Hope this helped,
jB

This is HIGHlLY dependent on what benzos you are talking about, including dose levels and length of time using each kind. It's also HIGHLY variable from person to person. For example, I used benzos(mostly clonazepam and alprazolam) recreationally for years before I developed a permanent major health issue which resulted in me being prescribed clonazepam and temazepam for the past 7 years, which I take as prescribed(or at least no more than I am prescribed in a day)....and you would think that I wouldn't be able to use benzos anymore given my extensive history with them, but actually, BOTH my prescribed benzos are working about the same as they did as when I was first prescribed them(they work fairly well) with no increase in dosage.

I have, however, experienced rising tolerance levels and periods of time where benzos didn't seem to work for me anymore back when I used them recreationally, but all I had to do was stop taking them for 2 to 4 days(or just take less for 2 to 4 days) to lower my tolerance back down to where it was.

Hope this helped,
jB

Really just goes to show how different all of our bodies' chemistry is. I guess I should've stated sure it still works but only if I take a significant dose.

Love your pic by the way - can't wait till Maher comes back on Inauguration Day - may the god who doesn't exist help us.

Stay safe my friends,
-MF4M

About 2 years ago I had an insane benzo habit, like 20 mgs of alprazolam everyday, and I tapered off with diazepam, it's been a year since I jumped off the Diazepam.

A friend of mine gave me 5 2 mg clonazepam tablets (10 mgs total).a couple days ago I took 3 of them so 6 mgs and wasn't as messed up as I thought I'd be, I took it with 110 mgs of methadone too....and yesterday I took 4 mgs with my methadone, and again while I did feel it it wasn't what I thought it would be....it's as if my tolerance barely dropped....6 mgs of clonazepam for someone who has never done benzos would be flirting with the blackout range