• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does anyone know why nicotine triggers a short surge in an opiate high?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
It's my vaporizer actually. 18 mg/mL nicotine. I'm on quite a lot of methadone daily, and whenever I take a large drag, there is an unmistakeable wave of the opiate effect that's absolutely not attributable to nicotine as I know it. This only happens when I already have high opiate levels in my blood. Even later in the evening while "held" by the methadone but nowhere near sick, and it disappears. I consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to pharmacology considering I have a degree in biology and spent a further 3 years in pharmacy school - but I can't figure out any reasonable explanation as to how a stimulant rapidly but for a short time, increases the effects of a depressant.

If anyone either knows exactly what I mean regarding this and/or can explain why, I would really appreciate it.

Synergy from playing around with the reward center?

I doubt it - nicotine normally doesn't even really do too much for me. I've always had a great attraction to depressants but not stimulants. I couldn't get myself addicted to coke, crack or meth. But opiates and to a much lesser extent benzos, I fell in love with right away. Thanks for your input, but I just think there has to be something more specific going on. It's not just a "reward", but a perceived overall increase in all the effects of the methadone - I think.

Another strange thing is that I never noticed this happening - EVER - with regular cigarettes, even though I was taking opiates and smoking for at least seven years. I suppose that could be because smoking outside necessarily involves more stimulation which masked the effect whereas I just lie down inside with the vape....but you'd think I'd have noticed something at some point, unless this only happens with methadone.

Probably because it's a stimulant and gets your blood pumping faster and kicks the dope in quicker than normal? I've noticed cigarettes seem to increase the onset in almost any drug I've ever done with the exception of benzodiazepines.

Nicorette does the same thing and so does a nice big lip of chaw (love it!). Its just the effect of having a lot of nicotine. Cigarettes don't give you as much nicotine but give you certain MAOI's and other effects but IMO I prefer just straight large doses of nicotine via Nicorette or vape if I have to.

I am an occasional smoker. When I smoke a cigg and am high on hydrocodone the cigg buzz feels incredible. I don't really enjoy cigarettes if I'm not high on something else. I think it's just the combo of opiets and nicotine that is very euphoric.

Beta carbolines!

Tobacco has a mild MAOi in it, which potentiates opiates for a short while after a smoke.
I find a puff of tobacco can give a short burst of potentiation when i take tryptamine psychedelics too, and i've never smoked cigs

I find a puff of tobacco can give a short burst of potentiation when i take tryptamine psychedelics too, and i've never smoked cigs

Hah, interesting.. When I was a cigarette smoker I found it hard to enjoy cigs while on tryptamines.

Beta carbolines!

Tobacco has a mild MAOi in it, which potentiates opiates for a short while after a smoke.

Ah, awesome! Thank you SO much, this is exactly the sort of response I was looking for! :) The pleasurable effects of methadone or other opiates too I suppose, always seem to come in WAVES. I'll still feel good or at least OK after dosing, but every once in awhile for whatever reason, it just shoots up several notches and then is gone within about ten seconds. What using the vape seems to do is stimulate this "wave". Interestingly, while going through withdrawal, the same waves are present - only in the opposite direction. It will come on suddenly as the positive wave does, but rather than feel good, I feel as if I can actually feel my brain trying to suck out some dopamine but can't get it...:/ It's a very sudden onset that also lasts for ten seconds or less, but feels like a profound wave of depression and general sadness as well as a vague, unconscious longing. Do you know what I mean here as well?

Do you find the same thing in terms of the "wave" feeling and the brevity of the nicotine effect? More importantly, would this effect actually end up causing the methadone to be metabolized and lose its efficacy earlier than it otherwise would?? In other words, you're basically just "borrowing" the effect from the future?? If you know, that is VERY important to me. Thanks a lot again for all responses, all :) :)

I find that to tobacco and to a smaller degree nicotine from a vape boosts a lot of negative effects of opiates. Especially at higher dosed opiates or after multiple doses. Usually for me this means instant nausea and vomiting within seconds of having a puff of a cig. Not nice at all tbh.

I've always wondered this too. Especially after a relapse on powerful opiates like heroin, while my tolerance is low still. I will be smoking a CIG and halfway thru it I will find myself running to the bathroom to vomit. Its not really a strenuous vomit like with the stomach flu or food poisoning, but a quick blaaaarggghh a couple times and done. Anyone know why this happens?

this happens to me when smoke after taking opiates. i dont smoke super regularly anymore but if i take some pills and dont feel a good kick in from them a cig will get things going.