• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Does anyone else suffer from nocturnal panic attacks?

~kira~

Bluelighter
I'm writing this because I have no idea what to do, who to see and no one that really understand this. Last night I had a terrifying experience that has really fu ked me up today. This has happened about 10 times in the last 4 years. This time it was more intense than ever. It really has me messed up, and I'm struggling to type this out.

When I was 16 I was diagnosed with anxiety (around people mainly) I was on medication for a while but I hated hoe it made me feel. I'm 29 now. I've learned how to live with this disorder. But last night, after I fell asleep, I woke up in a horrific panic. It woke my girlfriend up. She had asked me if I was OK and I said no and ran to the restroom (my safe space I guess) i don't remember that part. But, my heart was pounding so fast, I felt like I was going to die, and I couldn't calm down. It took a few minutes and then I did calm down. I also for whatever reason brushed my teeth? I went back to bed. But today I feel so out of it, and just run down.

Is this anxiety, or a nocturnal attack? Could it be a health condition? I would love to connect to others with this issue.

Hi Kira,

If it was me, then I would not hesitate to speak to my doctor (GP) about it. I would be wary about putting a label on whatever it is as thats the docs problem.

I would try and take a proactive outlook and possibly make some notes if I happen to see any correlations between the various episodes..........ie It was a particularly stressful day at work or the last 2 or 3 times it was after I had been drinking a glass of red wine etc etc........... The more information you can provide, irrelevant of whether you think its important, the better.

I have also had some anxiety problems in the past and like you, I tried various pills, and eventually the doc found one that seemed to help. I stopped them after a year or so.

I have now learned the best way for me to manage mine is to refocus my head onto other activities.

Good luck, help is out there and you can bet London to a brick that its something your doctor understands.

Ohh and one more thing...........the teeth cleaning............It may have been that without knowing it, your body was trying to redirect your focus onto something else. Anxiety feeds off itself and if allowed to dwell.........it only gets bigger and bigger.

Hope that is of some value.

Keep smiling.

Hello Kira

Yes, I agree to a doctor for safety.

Anxiety can generate what is called sleep paralysis that fits what u describe, feeling that was "out of you" generating panic and some tachycardia upon waking, did you notice something like that?

Just a hypothesis and expecting nothing worse, a doctor at first sure.

Hi Kira,

If it was me, then I would not hesitate to speak to my doctor (GP) about it. I would be wary about putting a label on whatever it is as thats the docs problem.

I would try and take a proactive outlook and possibly make some notes if I happen to see any correlations between the various episodes..........ie It was a particularly stressful day at work or the last 2 or 3 times it was after I had been drinking a glass of red wine etc etc........... The more information you can provide, irrelevant of whether you think its important, the better.

I have also had some anxiety problems in the past and like you, I tried various pills, and eventually the doc found one that seemed to help. I stopped them after a year or so.

I have now learned the best way for me to manage mine is to refocus my head onto other activities.

Good luck, help is out there and you can bet London to a brick that its something your doctor understands.

Ohh and one more thing...........the teeth cleaning............It may have been that without knowing it, your body was trying to redirect your focus onto something else. Anxiety feeds off itself and if allowed to dwell.........it only gets bigger and bigger.

Hope that is of some value.

Keep smiling.
Thank you for the reply. Work has been stressful lately, and I did have a beer before I fell asleep. The last attack I remember I had a beer as well. I was also extremely tired. I'm going to a doctor Monday and seeing if I can set something up.

That's interesting about the teeth brushing. I remember doing it. But I wasn't sure why I had that urge at the time. Luckily, no attacks last night. I was nervous about sleeping, but all was well then.
Were they all at night?
Yeah all of those types if panic attacks were at night. I have anxiety throughout the day. And sometimes day attacks but I know how to manage them.

Hello Kira

Yes, I agree to a doctor for safety.

Anxiety can generate what is called sleep paralysis that fits what u describe, feeling that was "out of you" generating panic and some tachycardia upon waking, did you notice something like that?

Just a hypothesis and expecting nothing worse, a doctor at first sure.
I forget exactly what tachycardia is, but I believe I had that. My heart was racing. I've never felt it beat that fast. Even on previous attacks. I thought I was actually having a heart attack or failure. I did have a beer before I went to bed, and was extremely tired so that probably contributed to the heart racing. Usually 2 beers is my max.

Re the teeth brushing, I have no idea if what I suggested was accurate or not. It just struck me that as it was diverting your brain, that it was actually a positive. Intended or otherwise.

Take positive steps and generally will result in a positive outcome. Do nothing and you can expect nothing.

I used to have panic attacks when I was about to fall asleep / falling asleep. It was pretty horrible. I'd be laying in bed and all of a sudden feel like I was dying and my heart would be pounding out of my chest, and sometimes my whole body would shake uncontrollably from trauma/stress...

I've never woken up with a panic attack. I would suggest speaking to a GP about it.

All the best <3, remember to breathe, maybe try meditation during the day.

I forgot exactly what tachycardia is, but I believe I did. My heart was racing. I've never felt it hit so fast. Even in previous attacks. I thought I was really having a heart attack or bankruptcy. I drank a beer before going to bed and was extremely tired, which probably contributed to my racing heart. Usually, 2 beers is my maximum..eep paralysis can scare people for the rest of the day, even if it lasts only a few seconds.

Sleep paralysis can scare people for the rest of the day, even if it lasts only a few seconds.

During REM sleep, the heart speeds up (tachycardia) and brain functions are in progress. Therefore, you may have difficulty controlling paranoia and rapid breathing upon waking. The closest thing to waking up is always REM sleep. People with stressful routines, such as health professionals, firefighters, police and educators, tend to sleep more fragile. Therefore, they can experience sleep paralysis more easily and even with a certain recurrence. Anxiety, stress, depression, bipolar disorder, among other mental disorders can also cause this condition.

It is common to have paralysis from time to time, especially in times of stress, because it is not always possible to sleep without worries.

When paralysis is recurrent, however, it can be indicative of an undiagnosed pathology or mental disorder. So, if you have case cases, like one week after another, see a doctor.

I hope it will do for something.

Take care👍

Last edited:
Do you have the same types of symptoms in the day?

I've read everyone's replies and will reply in a while!

Meanwhile, no during the day attacks are different. Usually just anxiety. Like hyperventilating, or feeling disconnected for everyone then getting deejavu and panicking for a few seconds lol.

The reason I’m asking is because you might be getting panic attacks during the day, and at night rarely. The ones at night might seem more intense, although I’m not sure why that would be.

The reason I’m asking is because you might be getting panic attacks during the day, and at night rarely. The ones at night might seem more intense, although I’m not sure why that would be.

I think more often during the day it's just anxiety. I mean sometimes it will last hours, or all day. I've gotten to the point where when I wake up, I kinda can tell if it will be a good or a bad day. If I can't tell when I wake up, usually by the first or second encounter with someone will let me know.

I used to have panic attacks when I was about to fall asleep / falling asleep. It was pretty horrible. I'd be laying in bed and all of a sudden feel like I was dying and my heart would be pounding out of my chest, and sometimes my whole body would shake uncontrollably from trauma/stress...

I've never woken up with a panic attack. I would suggest speaking to a GP about it.

All the best <3, remember to breathe, maybe try meditation during the day.

I've never had a panic attack as such, but I did used to suffer from bad anxiety. I learnt from an early age that controlling your breathing can be very effective at lowering your heart rate. It's a type of biofeedback technique.

Another option is to breath in and out of a paper bag - the increasing carbon dioxide levels helps to reduce your heart rate and anxiety.

Could try a couple of these

I'm writing this because I have no idea what to do, who to see and no one that really understand this. Last night I had a terrifying experience that has really fu ked me up today. This has happened about 10 times in the last 4 years. This time it was more intense than ever. It really has me messed up, and I'm struggling to type this out.

When I was 16 I was diagnosed with anxiety (around people mainly) I was on medication for a while but I hated hoe it made me feel. I'm 29 now. I've learned how to live with this disorder. But last night, after I fell asleep, I woke up in a horrific panic. It woke my girlfriend up. She had asked me if I was OK and I said no and ran to the restroom (my safe space I guess) i don't remember that part. But, my heart was pounding so fast, I felt like I was going to die, and I couldn't calm down. It took a few minutes and then I did calm down. I also for whatever reason brushed my teeth? I went back to bed. But today I feel so out of it, and just run down.

Is this anxiety, or a nocturnal attack? Could it be a health condition? I would love to connect to others with this issue.

I experience something somewhat similar, but it's sprung from a recurring nightmare, with a few tweaks each time.
As the nightmare dissipates, I wake up as my body seems to automatically pull itself from lying down to sitting.
Drenched in sweat. Terrifying panic, feels like my heart will crack the boney cage from beating so hard.
Extreme paranoia, hyperventilating.

This happened more or less every night for a year unless I knocked myslf out with benzos and/heroin, morphine, GHB, booze -you get the idea.

I still happens, now and then. Though I know why I have these "nocturnal panic-attacks", but that knowledge is of little help to me.

Do you experience nightmares? Have you gone through something traumatic that might've triggered this for you?